Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
New Camper

We saw and fell in love with the 2013 Rushmore - Washington model and would have been looking to purchase it before we started researching andfound thisforum. Now we're afraid to buy from Crossroads because there seems to be so many unhappy customers. We only get out about8 times during the 6 month window we have for camping season and with what we've read about the warrantyissuesfolks are experiencingwe would just be buying problems. Ifwe're misunderstanding what we've been reading and should still contemplate purchasing the Rushmore I'd appreciate some feedback. We've started to look at the Big Country by Heartland and they seem to have a much more positive force regarding their products on their forum.
mooseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I bought my zinger 2 years ago. I'm just now out of warranty (I had the old warranty). I love my zinger. I have had a few issues over the past two years. All were minor. The worst were a hole rubbed in the carpet by the slide and a broken awning arm. Everything has been repaired under warranty but the repairs took a long time to do. Yes the warranty has changed and yes all of the members are furious about it. The decrease in warranty is making people turn away from crossroads. I would buy a crossroads again if they had what I was looking for but right now I'm leaning towards a sabre for my next 5er.That said over the past 2 yrs we have seen an increase in problems posted by owners. One would also tend to think the decrease in warranty would probably be related to an increase in claims but crossroads claims differently, they are trying to say they decreased it because it wasn't being used and they feel the New warranty will benefit owners better. If you are bored you can read all 30 or so pages of the boo hiss thread about the warranty.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro
I bought my zinger 2 years ago. I'm just now out of warranty (I had the old warranty). I lobe my zinger. I have had a few issues over the past two years. All were minor. The worst were a hole rubbed in the carpet by the slide and a broken awning arm. Everything has been repaired under warranty but the repairs took a long time to do. Yes the warranty has changed and yes all of the members are furious about it. The decrease in warranty is making people turn away from crossroads. I would buy a crossroads again if they had what I was looking for but right now I'm leaning towards a sabre for my next 5er.That said over the past 2 yrs we have seen an increase in problems posted by owners. One would also tend to think the decrease in warranty would probably be related to an increase in claims but crossroads claims differently, they are trying to say they decreased it because it wasn't being used and they feel the New warranty will benefit owners better. If you are bored you can read all 30 or so pages of the boo hiss thread about the warranty.

Exactly.... Had aCruiser for3 years, best RV I ever owned. Fast forward and I'm looking to get a travel trailer. Shopped Crossroads, love the Zinger. Same floorplan, same options, same price but twice the warranty with the Jayco Jayflight. IMHO I'm not the only one who "would" have bought another CR automatically but decided to shop around due to the new warranty. I'm not saying I won't end up buying a CR, but I will heavily shop other brands where as previously it would have been an automatic repeat sale.Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Mooseme,
I would be remiss and a hypcroite if I didn't tell you I too posted a few "good" and a few "bad" remarks in the Boo/Hiss forum. But, having said that I will be looking at a 5er this year or next and I have looked at the Redwood from head to toe. I have inspected it as best I can and in every aspect it is a beautiful and well-built unit. I have yet to see the new Rushmore models but have read about a person on this forum who is ordering one of the new "Monticello" units site unseen. They are being built as we speak. The new Rushmore's look to me to be units I will definitely consider, but I've yet to see one. I will be visiitng the Rushmore facility when I attend the Crossroads Rally this summer. I like the unit I have right now and I will defiintely consider another Cruiser. If I like the unit I will put it through its paces and hope to have all the kinks worked out under the warranty. It's about all I can think to do.

Take everything you read with a grain of salt and listen to all sides before making your decisions. I will say that the dealer you choose will have a great deal to do with how well your love affair with CR's becomes.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We are on our second Cruiser. Have had only one issue with them. Had a bad slide actuator on the kitchen slide on our current 2010 model. Replaced quickly under warranty by our excellent dealer. Never had any issues with the 2007 unit. We are on our fourth year of three month stays on the Gulf Coast with the current unit, so we use them a lot. Don't like what Crossroads did with the warranty reduction and would have to consider that if we were looking for another unit. Also don't have much faith in the Schwintek slideouts they are now using. Lots of people have had a lot of problems with them. Glad we have the old style slides that have operating mechanisms that seem to be much more robust.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Howdy Mosseme, You could probably do worse than Crossroads, and maybe better. Do a better than thourough PDI, with cam-corder and ask many questions, with the shortened warrenty you may not be able to get to all the problems in the time it gives.However in MHO and experience, CR has Customer Service that is heads above all the others and today that is something... and even after the warrenty has run out, they usually will work with their customers, again in my experience. I think I would be looking at the Redwoods as tator447 mentioned, and will when the time comes, they are a sister company. just my .02.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Just to note - the Redwood's still have the 2+5 year warranty.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Comparing the Rushmore to the Cruiser or
Zinger is not Apples to Apples. The Rushmore is built in a different plant and
is hung wall construction with 16in on center studs (As our vintage Cruisers used to be constructed) vs. gorilla cage. The treatments and appliances are also not comparable. I'm still with my 2006 and I more than
happy with it. In fact, it will take quite a deal to make me give it up just
yet. It had some issues at the start but Crossroads customer service was
awesome and they fixed the issues beyond my expectations. </span>I even developed comradely relations with
some of the staff. Now I saw the Rushmore, walked through it, talk to a Crossroads rep and was impressed too.
That being said,
my previous comments in boo hiss was directed toward the Cruiser line and
excludes the Rushmore. I would consider one myself when looking for a
replacement in a year or so. </span><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Mooseme -- You have to consider that people that are having trouble with their camper are probably not going to write a positive post. They want to get other members opinions on the problem they are haveing and posible solutions that they may be able to give. I also use the Good Sam forum and read posts from members about problems they are haveing with other brand campers. That being said NO ONE IS HAPPY WITH THE REDUCTION IN THE LENGHT OF THE WARRANTY.

Do your homework,and good luck with your search for the perfect camper for you.

2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
New Camper

First off please let me say thank you to those that have replied. Because of the field I work in I'm familiar with negative comments when people are dissatisfied so I do take into consideration that when people are experiencing issues with a product they don't have positive things to say, however on this forum the dissatisfaction seemed a little overwhelming with negativity and though I can appreciate that it stemmed from everyone being upset with the change in warranty, it didn't seem to affect those people as they already had their units with the old warranty in place. Having said that it did bring out a lot of issues and dissatisfaction with the CR brand. To us it seemed more than what would be considered normal.

Thanks

mooseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Check it other brands owner forums and you will find a lot of dissatisfaction there as well. This is a universal problem across the world of rv's.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

I have to agree that people cry on forums more than they smile....seems to be human nature. My wife and I had a Montanna which we figured would be our last hurrah but one day last spring we entered a Rushmore 35CK and we both fell in love at first sight. We purchased it and you and I know they are not cheap. I too worried when I read some of the horror stories but we also realized that these are made by human beings. We have worked at a federal campground now for ten years and we have seen every imaginable rig and have heard the plus/minus of them all. We have seen about every floor plan in the world and we know that no matter what brand or what it costs they all have their problems. Yes, 5000 dollar tow behinds and 350,000 dollar motor homes will have issues. We have seen leaks, stuck jacks and leveling systems, bad slides, leaks....you name it. Our prowler had leaking pipes and our Montanna had a slide that leaked. broken chair and a faulty inverter. All things were repaired or replaced under warranty. My Rushmore had minor issues and they were taken care of. You can read my statement in the Rushmore forum. We love our Rushmore and camped in it for 5 months last season. It was awesome. I do not regret what I spent or my choice. You will have to make your choice and I wish you the best whatever it might be.

Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Site Team

[QUOTE=BDLuke]

Comparing the Rushmore to the Cruiser or
Zinger is not Apples to Apples. The Rushmore is built in a different plant and
is hung wall construction with 16in on center studs (As our vintage Cruisers used to be constructed) vs. gorilla cage. The treatments and appliances are also not comparable. I'm still with my 2006 and I more than
happy with it. In fact, it will take quite a deal to make me give it up just
yet. It had some issues at the start but Crossroads customer service was
awesome and they fixed the issues beyond my expectations. </span>I even developed comradely relations with
some of the staff. Now I saw the Rushmore, walked through it, talk to a Crossroads rep and was impressed too. </span>
That being said,
my previous comments in boo hiss was directed toward the Cruiser line and
excludes the Rushmore. I would consider one myself when looking for a
replacement in a year or so.

[/QUOTE

<div ="msg">

I'm a little confused by BDLuke's posting about vintage Cruiser's and
the remark that new Cruisers wall construction does not compare to the
Rushmore's.
My 2013 Cruiser Patriot has a hung wall over the 16" oc studs (gorilla
frame). This was evident to me the other morning when the frost showed
the outline of the 16" oc frame on the sidewall. It would be correct to
say that the Rushmore does not compare to the Zinger and not include
the Cruiser in that statement. Don't know if you were in any new
Patriots but the treatments and appliances are upscale compared to other
5ers.

< ="text/" id="_tmpl"><div id="<%= Id %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= Left %>; top: <%= Top %>; width: <%= Width %>; height: <%= Height %>">

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to denlor
We just purchased a Zinger and although we saw negative notes on them I don't feel they are any better or any worse than other manufactures. All RV suppliers have their downfalls and it will depend a lot on your dealer as well as the maker to assure your RV experience is as good as you expect.
denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

denlor - it's all about your comfort level. I owned a CR Cruiser at one time (I'd argue it was a "different time" for CR) but the Zinger we recently looked at was a nicely finished product. Nice enough that I had the purchase order in hand and ready to order. However, after several things that made me uneasy about the pending transaction was went with the Jayco.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new Zinger - lots of happy owners on here with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseme
We saw and fell in love with the 2013 Rushmore - Washington model and would have been looking to purchase it before we started researching andfound thisforum. Now we're afraid to buy from Crossroads because there seems to be so many unhappy customers. We only get out about8 times during the 6 month window we have for camping season and with what we've read about the warrantyissuesfolks are experiencingwe would just be buying problems. Ifwe're misunderstanding what we've been reading and should still contemplate purchasing the Rushmore I'd appreciate some feedback. We've started to look at the Big Country by Heartland and they seem to have a much more positive force regarding their products on their forum.

I think the Ruchmore was the old Blackwood line of product (my guess).

Find the unit you like - give it a good pre-inspection and go from there. Thor makes allot of brands (they have bought out allot of companies). you will see the Heartland is owned by Thor too.</span>
</span>
http://www.thorindustries.com/home/</span>

We purchased a2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SSfifth wheel because we like the floor plan. We have had some serious issues with the bed slide but CrossRoads took care of the issue. The problem I had was the sloppy workmanship at the RV dealer and the length of time they took to fix it. CrossRoads could not do anything about that. Had I lived closer to the factory I would have taken it there for repairs and it would have been faster and with better workmanship.</span>
</span>
We like you have a short camping season - recently retired and hope to spend some time down south during the winter months.</span>
</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

I have a 2010 29RL Sunset trail and LOVE it. But I am not impressed with changes I see and hear about. And not just warranty change. Smaller kitchen counters, propane tanks are back out front, Most have only one door now, waste tank handles are not easy to access. Quality and insightful layout used to be Crossroads claim to fame. Not so sure now. They should have stuck with what worked.
ST29RL

https://i575.photobucket.com/albums/s...unsettrail.jpg
icefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

It has happened to many companies when the bean counters take over the operation. They slice and dice it right to the bone.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

All I can say is that we are on our 5th RV and the Cruiser we purchased a year ago is, by far, our favorite. We had a slide problem after we picked up our new RV and the manufacturer immediately sent a new part and the dealer quickly installed it. We love our Cruiser 5th wheel. I looked long and hard for exactly what we wanted. We didn't need a new one, so we were able to take our time until we found just the right floorplan for us. We wrote a list of must-haves and skipped anything that didn't have all of our must haves. Crossroads Cruiser was the only one that fit all of our wants. And, we love it. The toughest part of the new RV was my husband had to learn to back up a fifth wheel instead of a travel trailer. It's fun to watch.

Happy Camping!
sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

We are on our second cruiser 5th wheel and have loved them both. No issues with the first and one slide actuator issue with the second. Dealer had it fixed in less than a week. We traded the first one because the Patriot model offered a great many features that the 07 didn't have. The quality issues seemed to have started with the 2011 and newer and with major management changes. Hope things get back to what they were a few years ago.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK