Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Extended warranty

What are people's thoughts of purchasing extended warranty? It will give me an extra 5 years.
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you can get a good deal on it, yes, worth it. We went with 5 years, low deductible from XtraRide.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

This is who supplies the warranty here in Canada: http://iasal.ca/products-and-services/extended-warranty
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
Site Team

We have always bought the warranty. Paid for itself on our previous rv. This time, we got the 7 year warranty. Some items are so expensive that even if you same the money on not buying the warranty, you still will be short on money when you have to replace a major item. We have the Good Sam warranty.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We went with Xtraride also.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

X3 on the XtraRide,

Paid for itself on our last trailer.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We just bought our 2015 ST240BH from a dealer, so it is not new. Initially we passed on the extended warranty when offered, initially @ $1895, then dropped to $1750, for a five year plan thru Camper's edge. After spending the money to buy it, we just didn't want to spend more. Then, I started checking posts like these...

A few days later I was at the dealer to drop off a weight distribution hitch I purchased elsewhere to have them install for $133. When I went in, the finance guy was not the guy we initially dealt with. He pulled my paperwork, and brought up the extended warranty again. I was silent as he "re-sold" it, and then he offered it to me for $1625. I said I'd talk to the wife and left, then had a thought... I went back in and said that if he could throw in the hitch install, I'd do the deal at $1625. To my surprise, he agreed!

So, I went from $1895 +$133 = $2028, to $1625 for a 5 year service contract and hitch install. Obviously they are still making a profit, and I may have still over paid, but after seeing all these posts I'm glad I decided to buy it!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
Dre
New Camper

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have an additional question about extended warranties. I am currently in the process of buying a brand new travel trailer. It has a 2 year warranty. Of all the research I have done, the general consensus is not to get the extended warranty right away but wait until the manufacturer warranty is up and then decide if I want to purchase additional protection. I checked with my dealer and they tell me they can still offer the extended warranty after two years but the price will be around $900 more. My question is, do I have no other choice but to buy extended coverage from my dealer? I am searching everywhere online and every company that sells extended coverage tells me they only deal with dealers and not individuals. I'm in Canada so maybe we have fewer options here but I would think as a consumer, I should have the option to shop around. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks!
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Good Sam Club sells extended service plans, not sure if it is available in Canada.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

warranty

don't want to be the drag here, but I don't think warrantys are worth the paper they are written on, just from my past experience with 2 trucks and now a camper
Old 05-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Skip the Good Sams warrantee. Bought a new trailer 2 years ago. Last year had an unusual separation on the seam at the bottom of the truck overhang on our 5vr. Determined to be due to Crossroads not putting wood in the channels of the trailer chassis, thereby snapping lugs that were put through metal to metal, no wood in between.

Crossroads hasn't agreed to cover it because at the first report of the issue, I was 5 months past the 1 year coverage. I have Good Sams, so I thought it would be covered through them. NOPE! Had 2 certified letters explaining that their inspector determined the damage was caused due to road bounce and in their contract, clause 11, bowed walls and ceilings, it was rejected. I questioned this because of physics, makes no sense. The responded they had a 3rd party also determine the same thing. But refused to send me either inspection report, name either inspector, or tell me their experience. Not ending here, but have heard others who have purchased other plans that seemed to be more responsive.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
I bought an extended warranty for my 2013 CR STR 32RL when we bought it new. The model 5th wheel we bought has a Schwintek slide system for all three slides on the trailer. The extended warranty just paid for itself with the last slide repair/replacement that ran close to $2K to fix the kitchen side slide.

So those that blow off an extended warranty as useless, that is $50 out of pocket for a co-pay was cheap! I was well worth the investment in having an extended warranty that goes beyond the manufacturer's 2 year warranty.

D.
2013 Sunset Trail 32RL 5th Wheel (no longer own)
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

I'm picking up a 2018 CR Sunset a trail 271RL this weekend and the dealer is offering ext ware for around 1600 for 5 years from EasyCare.. has anybody heard of this company? If not, what company should I look into?
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3
dkilmer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

We our purchased one from dealer. XrtraRide. 7years, 2300. 200 deductible. On our 2013 Rushmore Jefferson. New fridge on its way, new front AC a month ago, last year, rewire our power cord connection box. That's is so far. Glad I have it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Be sure and read the limitations of what not is covered. We paid around $1500 for ours and it is good for five years with a $100 deductible. After the awning lights went bad, I found out that all lights were not covered. Would it have been a game changer, probably not. We also took the tire and wheel warranty. Unsure about that.
2013 Toyota Tundra Double Cab V8 5.7 Ltr Limited
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters View Post
don't want to be the drag here, but I don't think warrantys are worth the paper they are written on, just from my past experience with 2 trucks and now a camper
We purchased a 3 year plan through Camping World and it's worthless. The plan doesn't cover much of anything. I have issues with our RV and the plan doesn't cover them. We spent over $2k for it. We ended up canceling the plan and getting a prorated refund.

The plans aren't worth it. I don't care what anyone says. You pay for something that only covers a minimal amount of issues you might have. In the contract it has two full pages of things it DOESN'T cover, but has less than two paragraphs of things it does cover.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Rip-off

Carefully do your research and read all of the small print. I am sure that there are reputable extended warranty companies but the one sold to us by our first dealer WAS NOT.
We traveled South across the Wisconsin boarder to purchased our very first used 5th Wheel RV. Seeing as we knew nothing of RV’s or RVing we purchased an extended warranty. Each time we returned to the dealership with a problem it was always the same reply; “that is as a pre-existing condition and not covered”. At one time the repair technician left me under my RV and let me know that if the fresh water tank were leaking when he returned that it’s replacement would be covered; no matter that the mounting bracket was defective and the tank was about to fall out. I towed the RV back home and fixed it myself.
We were frustrated and dumped the RV and the Insurance at a loss. We requested a refund from the dealership on the unused warranty. For months we waited; we called and received no reply. After 5 months we finally called the warranty folks to learn that the dealership had received our check months earlier and never refunded us. We were promptly issued a check directly from the warranty company.

Despite this poor experience we went elsewhere and purchased a new Crossroads Cruiser with the 2-5 warranty. We have happily been workamping since. We now perform many of our own repairs and modifications.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

It's just insurance... some people need it and some don't...

you pays your money and you takes your chances

Depends on the exposure your want... in my case, the first one I got on my redwood didn't pay off, on my current rig, it's paid off twice over (so far!)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #19
New Camper

If you don’t mind me asking what company is your warranty through?
druholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Camping World.

Tags
warranty, warranty issue?