Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
sjh
New Camper

OK...truthfully, we have narrowed our decision down to a Heartland Big Country and a Cruiser 31RE Patriot edition.

A big concern with us are "leaks" A leak in the slide of our previos Springdale basically destroyed the rig (slow leak/several years..slideout destroyed end of story)

Now, reading all the praises of Heartland, there seems to be a repeated pattern of "leaks" from many owners. They are a very loyal group and usually say its not Heartlands fault but the vendors or bad roads etc.

I have not been able to find a lot about the Cruisers although most of what I do read is positive!

My question...have any of you owners had issues with leaky roofs, slides or any other water problems with your Cruiser?

Many thanks!
sjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
To be honest you'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING bad that's serious. Many of us are honest and have a list of suggestions but many relate to overall product improvement for liveability, not QC concerns.

To be honest I have a few concerns about Heartland. One is their warranty - it is BRIEF! A one year warranty is crap - sorry but it is! Crossroads gives every Cruiser a 2 year bumper to pin warranty and a 5 year structual warranty. I believe a company is only as good as it HAS to be - how good does your product have to be built to have a 1 year warranty vs. a 2+5 year warranty?

Second - I have read people have had serious issues with frames and slide room leaks. When the dealer is unable to help Heartland has NO factory service center to support their customers. The best they can do is a service center in Indiana that isn't theirs. I would be concerned with any company that states it can take a unit back to the factory. Crossroads has a great factory service center that is open to all current customers, whether you are in or out of warranty! I visted the factory for a tour and had some minor warranty and an upgrade done at the service center when I stopped there. Randy is just about the best guy out there for customer service.

Heartland is going through some enormous product roll-outs and opening new facilities for manufacturing. They also announced they are hiring nearly 200 new people in a month and 200 next year, how well will these people be trained? Will product quality suffer further?

For my money, the Cruiser is the best built and best warrantied product in its price range.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I don't think in this case you are comparing apples to apples. The Big Country is a step above the Cruiser more along the lines of the Kingston.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
sjh
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
I don't think in this case you are comparing apples to apples. The Big Country is a step above the Cruiser more along the lines of the Kingston.

That may be true but they are the two that I am considering. The Patriot Editions have most of the extras I was looking for with the Heartland. It doesn't have a rear fiberglass cap but I can live with that. According to the websites, the Crossroads is actually better insulated. I haven't read about many leaks in the Cruisers unlike the Heartlands! The Heartland looks very nice IMHO and I like the 3355 floorplan!

I simply want the best bang for the buck along with a reliable rig! (just like everyone else)If money was no issue I might consider a Mobile Suites but that is a pipe dream on my budget! I also think the Cruiser is a step up from the Cougar, which we initially considered (too much like our Springdale)

The Crossroads website is not very good at least with photos of each model. We do not have a Crossroads dealer nearby so before I make a pilgrimage across the state, I want to know as much about the Cruiser as possible.

Example...from the floorplan and one picture of a similar floorplan, the toilet in the CF31RE looks very cramped/confined. I am not a big guy but I don't want to sit elbow in the ribs knees on the chin either! Also, the sinks look like they are plastic but I can't find a reference about them.

Thanks for your input!Edited by: sjh
Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
You might want to use Google to search for pictures, type the model name in and you'll have lots of pictures. Or, visit www.rvwholesalers.com and build a Cruiser there. You can get the best price and they often have pictures.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
sjh
New Camper

Thanks...I will try the google search! RVWholesalers has no pictures of the CF31RE.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We like our Cruiser, I think Markbet on here has a heartland. Maybe he can compar for you as he has had both.

I have not heard of any leaks with a Croosroads product. Good luck with what ever it is you decide on.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

we have a Patriot 27RL and love all the features. We feel the insulation is doing a great job, since we spent a week in the Montana mountains in late October and were warm, even in 20 degree, snowy windy weather. This unit is a giant step up from our Keystone Hornet 5er.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

The cruiser patriot additon units come with stainless steel kitchen sink and corian countertop in the kitchen. We are on our 2nd cruiser, a friend had a heartland sundance and I was not that impressed with it. His front decals had holes beat into them from bugs and because he was two weeks out of warranty the dealer would not replace them.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I would just like to echo what Mike (mwebber78)said about warranty Our unit had a siding issue where it was startiing to separate from the wall.(but no leaks anywhere)Long story short the trailer made a 1600 mile trip(oneway)to the factory and they are redoeing the entire ouside including roof.Customer service that is second to none, and great staff to talk to(Randy).

2008 Cruiser 29CK

2008 Dodge Mega Cab 2500HD 6.7L and the Boss, Bailey the Yellow Laprador Retiever
Ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
I've looked at the Heartland Landmark and really liked the Augusta model but with only a 1 year warranty I won't even consider it. It will be a Crossroads again when I am ready to trade my 04 37fl Silverado. I just need them to put a bathtub like the one I have in my Silverado into the Seville.

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

I remember 1 post about a slide leak.I dont remember where it was you would have to look in the archives,however I do know cross roads will make it right.We had a leak on our initial journey because of a loose air conditioner.I feel this was more the dealer responsibility than crossroads as the unit sat on the lot for several months,the dealer tightens these bolts during their annual inspection.This is also on our list of annual things to do.We looked at the heartland and they were on our list but we fell in love with the room on our cruiser.We have had it for about a year now and do have a list of things to get taken care of from the dealer this winter.If they do not repair to our satisfaction I am very comfortable with the assumption that crossroads will take care of us from the way they have dealt with other folks here on the forum

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We spent six years looking at every camper known to man!!! the third one we looked at was a Cruiser 29ck and wen we got done dollar for dollar, construction ,warentee, added features with the patriot package,and the floorplans offered, you wont find a nicer camper! I would also add you mentioned aMobilsweet id add a Carrage in their catagory butI consider a cruiser an extended stay RV They arent designed with full time in mind if you see a floor plan from a manufacture that includes a washer dryer option thats a good indicator of a full time rig. Crossroads offers those too!!!So if you arent planning on fulltiming id say Cruiser is the best value out there!!! Happy camping!!

Dee N Bob

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote