Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
New Camper

<table ="normal" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="98%" style=": rgb255, 255, 255; padding-top: 10px; padding-bottom: 10px; text-align: left; "><t><tr><td valign="top" width="100%" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; "><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="98%"><t><tr><td align="left" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; "><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><t><tr ="#cccccc"><td valign="top" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; "><table border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="9" width="100%" ="forum"><t><tr ="#ffffff"><td valign="top" width="78%" style="font-family: arial, helvetica, 'sans serif'; font-size: 13px; ">We are new to TT and are looking for a good fit for our family - 2 adults, 2 boys (6&amp;*) and 2 big dogs (labs). Narrowing our choices for a bunkhouse unit. Still need to see the KZ's but are really impressed with the Jayco WhiteHawk and the Sunset Trail ST290QB. We actually had narrowed the Jayco's to the WhiteHawk and went back to peek and see if we wanted to make the trek to see any KZ's, the salesman showed us the Sunset trail and we were really impressed, we had not seen that brand yet. The original Jayco dealer had not mentioned it when we had previously been on the lot. Now we are torn. No 2 yr warranty but it had the vinyl/faux leather interior which I liked since it can be wiped. The ceiling is slightly domed giving more head room (although I hear the 2014 Jayco is domed as well. There are extra windows on the dinette slide which lets tons more light in, the bathroom shower is MUCH nicer, you gain an outside kitchen and most importantly the kids essentially get a room, they have a door and 2 larger than single bunks on one side then a little dinette with a standard single that folds up over the top. There is a spot for a TV which is appealing. It was really nice. We like the reputation and warranty of the Jayco. It's the same dealer for both. Weights are almost equal so that is not a factor - ~5800# on the lot as is. The Jayco has a CC of 2210# and the Sunset is at 1627#. The Jayco has the double size bunks for the kids, microfiber fabric, outside bathroom door. Layouts are really similar.

So - which between these is preferred and why??? I don't know much about the Sunset brand and was advised in another forum to come directly here to see what owners had to say - it was a tad cryptic in that I got the sense of "issues" with warranties, etc. - obviously making us nervous!!!!
The finishing seemed nice, etc. Just making sure it's not just beautiful finishes - know what I mean! The idea of having a separate room for the kids is VERY appealing - so is the wood door if we want to be up late, etc. I want to get something that will last and it is a big investment - the Sunset was actually a little more money but we are OK with that.

Curious to hear what people say!!!Especially if anyone actually owns this unit and can speak to the kid area.</td></tr></t></table></td></tr></t></table></td></tr></t></table></td></tr></t></table></span>

mlayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

hello , i see you are from Pa. did you see the models you re taliking about at Fretz RV in Souderton ? we have an 09 Sunset Trail . we have beem very happy with it . when we bought it it was covered with a 2 year warranty . we have had very little trouble with it . 2011 Sunset trail did a big makeover specializing in fancy seats etc . their Quality control has gone down hill in my opinion . they also use Lippet axles and slides . their axles have been known to bend . also the Schwintek slide system seems to have problems . this was confirmed by someone i tlaked to at the dealership .

Jayco makes a very nice unit . they are the only company to offer the 2 year warranty as far as i know . you can read posts on this website under the Sunset Trail section . this may help you with more info . if it were me , i'd go Jayco . can't beat the 2 year warranty

which ever you buy is up to youthese our some of the things i have learned reading the posts on the forum . Happy Camping and welcome to the forum
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have the zinger not the ST but have been very pleased with it. Mine is a 2011 so it is from the era of the 2 yr warranty. we had a few minor issues with ours, all were fixed under warranty. It does seem that newer units have had some quality control issues but also remember that what you see in print on these boards tends to be the neg and not the pos as an unhappy person is about 10 times more likely to post their frustration than a satisfied customer is to post about service completed as expected or unit performing as expected. We looked at the jay is but we saw exposed Irving that was easy for a toddler to get to. That was a deal breaker for us. in the end our debate was between the primetime tracer and the zinger. both had a 2 yr warranty but the zinger cost less and was lighter weight. we have not regretted our decision.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Buy the one you like better, you will be happier in the long run. It's like buying a Kia because it has a 10 year warranty over something else you like better. Just do a REALLY good PDI and go through it fine a fine tooth comb don't sign anything until all issues are addressed to your satisfaction.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We have a Zinger, but we are seriously considering a 290QB next year because of the slide and the rear "kids space".

I was looking at the Jayco's last night even...but our 2012 Zinger is nice and we are not sure about changing manufacturers. We also looked at a Zinger 30KB, and fell in love with the front bedroom space.

We are still very not sure, but lean towards the ST290QB. It has features we like and the low weight is attractive. The Zinger is about 1200# (dry) heavier, and a foot longer. We have to upgrade TV either way, but the lighter weight makes a difference.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
New Camper

Jayco, much better build, quality.

2012 Zinger 30KB
troy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Went with a Jayco Eagle over a 2nd Crossroads. After reading the forum and CR halving their warranty I haven't looked back - not even once. The new 2014 Whithawk has been updated to include colored exterior panels, arched roof, and more.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote