Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi all.

We are considering moving up a bit in size from our current 22' camper, but I don't want to move to a 3/4-ton. With the truck I have ('08 GM 5.3/3.73 crew cab), I'm comfortable going up to maybe 6k lbs loaded.

I recently ran across an older Crossroads Cruiser ball-tow travel trailer, but the unloaded weight was right at 6k lbs. I was very impressed with the build quality, and it got me to looking at the Crossroads line. I found the Sunset Trail series and noticed a lot of the same "standard" build methods (i.e., plywood floor, walkable decking, 16" OC framing, etc.), but w/ a lighter weight.

So, I'm here to ask the obvious questions.
<ul>[*]Are you happy with your camper?[*]Do you feel that the camper was a good value ($/quality)[*]Did you compare to brands of similar weight when shopping (e.g., Rockwood)[*]Does the company appear to be financially solvent[*]Customer service[/list]Considering that we probably can't shop/buy locally, all feedback is appreciated.

music69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

<ul>[*]Are you happy with your camper? Yes we are very happy[*]Do you feel that the camper was a good value ($/quality) yes[*]Did you compare to brands of similar weight when shopping (e.g., Rockwood) We looked at many other brands and liked this floor plan the best.[*]Does the company appear to be financially solvent I don't know, but the dealer I just bought mine from went under. They had many other brands besides crossroads.[*]Customer service I have emailed them a couple of times and gotten prompt responses.[/list]

https://2guysdev.com/mark/allthetoys.jpg

maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by music69
Hi all.

We are considering moving up a bit in size from our current 22' camper, but I don't want to move to a 3/4-ton. With the truck I have ('08 GM 5.3/3.73 crew cab), I'm comfortable going up to maybe 6k lbs loaded.

I recently ran across an older Crossroads Cruiser ball-tow travel trailer, but the unloaded weight was right at 6k lbs. I was very impressed with the build quality, and it got me to looking at the Crossroads line. I found the Sunset Trail series and noticed a lot of the same "standard" build methods (i.e., plywood floor, walkable decking, 16" OC framing, etc.), but w/ a lighter weight.

So, I'm here to ask the obvious questions.

<UL>

<LI>Are you happy with your camper?

<LI>Do you feel that the camper was a good value ($/quality)

<LI>Did you compare to brands of similar weight when shopping (e.g., Rockwood)

<LI>Does the company appear to be financially solvent

<LI>Customer service</LI>[/list]Considering that we probably can't shop/buy locally, all feedback is appreciated.

1. Yes, I am very happy with my Sunset Trail.

2. This is the reason I purchased the ST29RL. It was the best value on the market at the time

3. Yes, looked at Rockwood, Jay Feather and many others.

4. When I attended the factory rally this past August we were told that Crossroads is one of the most profitable companies under the Thor umbrella. Thor looks like it is strong enough to hang on and whether the economic downturn, and Crossroads looks like an attractive asset for Thor

5. Can't rave enough about Crossroads' customer service. They go above and beyond what is reasonable and fair, IMHO. I had an incident while in West Virginia last year and they stepped to the plate to get me road worthy and finished taking care of my problems when I got back. I have become a Crossroads service fan boy!

There are few products that have made me as happy after purchase as the Sunset Trail has for us. Good quality. Good price. Superb customer service. Outstanding value. Not once I have second guessed the decision to own this trailer.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have a 30STBH and we love it. I assum that you have read the posts in this forum by happy ST owners. Also do a search for crossroads or Sunset Trail at http://www.rv.net/forum/for more happy owners. Also see http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22521466/gotomsg/22523631.cfm#22523631

Grandchildren

Not Enough Time
RCDCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
New Camper

Knoxville, TN? I'm not too far away! If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your camper? I have not seen any new ones locally.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

We purchased ours at Knoxville Travel Trailers. They ceased operation due to the owners health and the state of the economy. The nearest dealer is in Johnson City (about 80 miles). I am glad that we were able to find the Crossroads brand in Knoxville because we probably would not have gone to Johnson City to shop. We first saw the ST at the Knoxville camper show. We don't mind the drive if we need service because so far we have had no issues.

Grandchildren

Not Enough Time
Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

As you can see from the number of posts and replys the ST model is popular. By the way not all dealers whohaveCrossroads carry the ST. You could view the model you want somewhere else and try to getyour local Crossroadsdealer to order it.

Grandchildren

Not Enough Time
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
New Camper

From what I saw of the Cruiser model, I may not even need to see one in person. The build quality was superior to anything else I've looked at in a "towable" camper. Granted, that was a Cruiser, but many of the same build specs appear to have been carried over to the ST line. I haven't yet looked at the Keystone products, so I can't compare to those.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I agree. I looked at the small details like caulking and screw heads. We also liked the true sofa bed rather than the jack knife sofa. Im not sure why but I also liked the compartment for the gas bottles.

Grandchildren

Not Enough Time
Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
Let me throw my 2 cents in.

I have an ST30BH, purchased 2 years ago. I towed with a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton for all but the last trip in October. The truck did ok in the PA mountains, but I wasn't going to break anyclimbing speed records. The truck was a 1999 with 170,000 miles on it.

I bought a 2008 Ram 1500 Qaud Cab with the 5.7 Hemi in August and towed the TT once since then. There was a big difference in the performance between the two.

We previously towed a 25 foot Aerolite with no slides.

Are we happy - yes. We did go back to the factory last August to have the bottom bunk repaired. One of the framing pieces broke. After they took it apart, I could see that the board cracked around a knot. They replaced the board (actually doubled it) and added an extra support leg at my request.

Good Value - certainly

Comparison - we actually liked our Aerolite and were at the dealer looking at the current models when my wife said "let's take a look at the one" and we stepped into a ST31QB and immediately noticed the upgraded look and construction. Our only concern was the price for such a "rich looking" TT.

Company solvent - no clue, but can echo what was said before about the comments at the factory rally last August

Customer Service - see the answer to are you happy. We called the factory on a Tuesday and had arrangements for the bunk to be fixed that Friday morning.

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

We purchased the Ck19 last year as our first rv and tow it with a 07 Xterra, it has been a really nice camper and we have been very happy with the unit. This year we did the rv show's in Baltimore and York, PA and after climbing in and out of other brands, I realized how solid the Sunset Trails is. The steps don't creak, the floor doesn't sink in spots and the walls are stronger than the others. I also looked at some with cheaper prices and you can see it in the quality because they have the creaking steps, sinking floor and cheaper walls and cabinets. One of the main points that sold us was the fold up queen bed with a couch under it. The Xterra is pretty good for towing a camper but you are limited to a size under 21 ft, and when looking at other brands they did not offer the bed and couch, the others offered the bed or the couch. Hope this helps your decision, I would buy another Sunset Trail again.

Ed

Xterra 1

xterra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
New Camper

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
New Camper

We are very happy with our ST29RL. We looked at 6-8 different brands/models and decided on this one due to both the price and the level of workmanship. We also really liked the amount of dressing room between the bed, shower and toilet area. Compared to some of the shoddy units we looked at, this one really sold us.

The few items that we found after we took the unit home were quickly repaired at our dealer (which has unfortunately gone out of business in the last month or so). Crossroads had one of the better warranties out there. We also looked at some other forums (such as rv.net) and there were very few Crossroads complaints, especially compared to some other brands.

The weight was also a large factor. We didn't want to have to upgrade our tow vehicle to a half ton or larger to be able to pull the trailer. We tow with an Expedition and it does very well except for some of the steep grades here in the Rockies. We took it on a trip from Denver to the Grand Canyon (via Moab), Las Vegas and then up through Utah back to I-70 and have very few problems.

Bottom line - no buyer's remorse for us - just looking forward to when I can retire and we can take it on a LONG trip!
Susie_Q462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie_Q462

The weight was also a large factor. We didn't want to have to upgrade our tow vehicle to a half ton or larger to be able to pull the trailer. We tow with an Expedition and it does very well except for some of the steep grades here in the Rockies. We took it on a trip from Denver to the Grand Canyon (via Moab), Las Vegas and then up through Utah back to I-70 and have very few problems.
By "problems w/ some steep grades", are you saying that you didn't make it, or that you just needed to slow down? In my mind, slowing down on steep grades and pulling the rpms up to a good power level is to be expected for a gas engine tow vehicle in the mountains. Just curious, and thank you for replying!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #15
New Camper

Purely a matter of slowing down. Coming east on I 70 to the Eisenhower tunnel was our biggest challenge - we were right among the semis on the far right climbing slowly. The story about the little engine that could kept popping into my mind

Flat lands and mild hills were no problem with our set up. Something I didn't mention in my previous post was the set up on the rear living was the ease of accessing the fridge and bathroom with the slides in. The slide is on the opposite side of the kitchen area so there is a path that makes the sink, stove and fridge accessible to make a quick lunch on the road. The bathroom is not affected by the slide and either door can be used to get to it with the slide in.
Susie_Q462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

We have a 2005 Ford F 150 Super crew 4X4, 5.4 engine, 3:73 gears. We had a 22RB ST and now have a 27RB ST that weighs 4990# factory numbers. The first St weighed about 900 # less than the current one and I can tell the difference. The truck pulls the 27 RB fine and I have hauled the ATV in the truck bed twice pulling the camper. The ATV adds 600# to the load and does OK. We haven't had any issues with our ST's so far. We like them and like the room the slideout provides. My wife didn't want to spend the money to up grade to the slideout, but now claims she had a great idea to trade up!!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
New Camper

Thanks for the input John. My inclination, when looking, has been to stay under 28' bumper to ball. The 24BH looks like a good layout for us within this limit. Your camper looks to have similar length as the 30BH, which gives a full bed up front (rather than a flip-up bed/couch in the 24BH).

We currently pull a 22', no-slide camper with our 08 GMC Sierra Crew-cab 5.3L/3.73/4-spd and have no issues with power or stability. I'm guessing it weighs in about 4k lbs unloaded. Your experience pulling the longer camper indicates that it can be done comfortably with a long wheelbase 1/2-ton. I guess I may need to at least consider the longer layout, but my instict tells me to stay with a shorter unit. That may be due to the fact that our old camper is stick/wood framed and relatively heavy for it's size.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Our F-150 is the one with the real short bed. I believe Ford has a longer wheel base 1/2 ton than ours. I don't notice the extra length of the 27 RB verses the 22RB, when going down the road, but do when you get to the campground and look for the spot you can get into.
John

Old 04-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
New Camper

We have the 31 with the quad bunks.

We are very happy with it so far, we just got it last fall.

I did a ton of research on the internet and went to lots and lots

of dealers. I felt the construction of the ST was the best value

for the money. I highly recomment the ST.

I tow with a 2007 gm half ton with out a problem. I do have the 6.0

with 4:10's but it pulls it easily and is very stable with the

Equilizer brand sway control.
Seamonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

We had a ST19CK which we pulled with a '96 Tahoe that was tow rated at 5500#. We moved up to a ST26RK and upgradded the Tahoe to pull 6000# but it wasn't all that great. We keep the trailer pretty lightly loaded but I'm sure it exceeds 6000# a little. I simply don't like trailering with a truck anywhere near it's factory rating and we have gone to a 3/4 ton truck. The brakes, transmission, power, tires of the heavier duty truck all provide a huge margin of safety. We could tow in excess of 10,000# if needed. We don't need a sway-stop or even a load leveling hitch with the ST26RK. It's like a toy back there compared to the old Tahoe. With dealers trying to "give away" trucks, getting the 3/4 ton was a no brainer for us.

If anyone wants a really nice upgraded '96 Tahoe with only 50K miles on it; I have one for sale.