Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
New Camper

I want to park my Cougar 327RES 5th wheel in my yard and would like to make a gravel (?) pad. Has anyone done this and what were the dimensions you used. I don't think the pad needs to be the entire length of the camper?I was thinking from the snap jacks to just behind the back wheel?

Thanks for anyone's help:-)
Have a great day!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

i made a concrete pad for my trailer. its 15'x40'. 6" thick 4000psi mix. i have the room plus i did it myself....i'm a mason by trade. i keep all my jacks down when i'm not using my trailer thats why i made it bigger than my camper.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I made my gravel pad larger than the rig on all sides. It makes it easier to back into and I can set up a ladder on the level ground on all sides to wash it. I used "3/4 minus gravel with fines". I also framed it with 4x4x8' treated posts to keep the gravel out of the lawn.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Like Stan we made our gravel pad larger than the unit. we mixed our gravel with Bris (crusher fines) as well, it helps the gravel to pack better. We still use a weight distributing pad under the front jacks but have a concrete pad for the rear jacks i think in time I may pour a small pad for the front jacks as well and leave the gravel for the rest. I would also note it would be a lot easier if it was all concrete as working under the unit in the gravel can be tedious however gravel cost a lot less.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Forgot to mention that I also installed a 6'x4'cesspool ring at the rear of the pad. I have my house washing machine pipe into it, but I also dump my trailer out in it. I can keep my tanks really clean not being rushed while flushing out. I access it through a cast iron cover (manhole cover)

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The pad only needs to be large enough to get on to, and park it. Wheel tracking locations need to be compact. Tire & jack locations need to have compaction or some sort of weight distribution system.

Personally, I park on a dirt/gravel area with raised concrete pavers under the tires. That's it.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote