Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just wondering if anyone has ever spent the night at a Walmart? What are the rules (time in, time out, etc) as well as any other experiences in doing this.

Thanks.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have Never stayed at a Wal-Mart....I see many doing it in my area.....I have stayed at a Cracker Barrel once for a few hour nap and had no trouble at all. Also I have a friend Manages a Grocery Store and hedoesn't mind at all when someone overnights in his parking lot.

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have stayed in Wal-Mart parking lots a few times. Its better than paying $$ for a site you are just staying overnight for a few hours sleep. The only "rule" is that you ask someone at the service/courtesy desk. From what I've heard, per Sam they never to turn RVers away. He always liked camping and wants RVers to be welcome. Besides, they know we stock up while we are staying there. Common sense is to not make yourself look like a full-fledged campsite with lawn chairs, awning out, ect. When we stay, we get as level as possible and I'll drop the front & rear jacks.

Another plus to staying at Wal-Mart is security. Last year we were going across Colorado July 4th on vacation and couldn't find a site. So were left with the options of staying at a truck stop, rest area or a Wal- Mart. We chose to Find a Wal-Mart since there are security cameras in the parking lots and they are well lit.I would hate to get into a rest area or truck stop in the middle of no where and be faced with a criminal type.

Sparky Dachshund/Beagle & doxi's Sami & Dexter

Cruiser CF29BT, 08 F250, Lariat

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...250DESKTOP.jpg

dsaalease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Wal*Mart makes a great rest stop or overnighter in a pinch. Some places do not allow this, not becuase Wal*Mart doesn't want RV'ers but becuase of local ordinances. There are always a few that abuse and over-use Wal*Mart's generosity and have ruined it for others.

I enjoy stopping at Wal*mart as it is a safe place to stop and I can refill my fridge and enjoy lunch with the kids/wife at our own pace.Edited by: mwebber78
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We have stayed at Walmarts on our why to the races at Darlington and Charlotte a few times and it worked out well for us.There were always a few other rigs there when we were there. We leave to go to the races after work and can't make the 13 hour trip without stopping. We try to travel to about 3am and then look to stop . We try rest areas first butthey tend to be full. We have also stayedat aFlying J a few times if we find room there after fueling up.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We've stayed at Walmarts a few times. It is great place to lay over for a short night when in transit. For us it works great when we are heading south, we can leave in the evening and drive for a couple of hours and then stop at the Super Walmart in Lacey, WA or Chehalis, WA. It puts us past most of the heavy Seattle rush hour traffic we would encounter if we had waited and left in the morning. We call them from the road when we are about 30 minutes away andlet them know wewill be pulling in soon.They will usually suggest a part of the parking lot to use.

We won't even bother buying groceries before we leave home if we know we will be first nighting at Walmart.We'llwait andstock up when we get to Walmart. I think of the dozen or so times we have stayed at one we have never left without spending at least $50on groceries, at the deli, or on RV supplies...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
I agree with the other posts. Â*We have stayed in Walmarts both in Canada and the US and as long as parking is allowed and you are discreet it's great for an overnite. Â*We always make a point to go in and spend some money for the hospitality.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I think the Flying J Truck-stops are the best for over night stays. I usually park in the back with the big rigs. Sometimes I get lucky and get next to a light pole so I can extend the slides. No one complains about the generator running either. And it is legal. No worries about someone banging on your door in the middle of the night.

They also offer free water & dumping at the RV island. How can you beat that?

<font color=BROWN>2006 33RL Paradise Point</font>

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...amper/33rl.jpg
CamperNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

I also mirror what has already been said. I have used them for a quick overnight rest before heading out the next day. I think that the sign near Eau Claire(?) WI, even lists RV parking at the store...at least it did 2-years ago. Like others, I go in early to shop, fresh doughnuts, and the oh-#^$@, we left the @#$%% at home replacement item.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

We haven't stayed at a Wal-Mart yet but we have stayed at Dixie truck stop, rest areas, and a Cracker Barrel and never had a problem.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
New Camper

I've stayed at Walmarts as well as a number of other retailers, truck stops, roadside rests, local parks and cemeteries. The only real requirement most people have is that you ask them if it's O.K. and then park in an area they specify. Shopping with them does help to sweeten the experience and make the next camper more welcome. Of course, I usually needed to do some shopping anyway, so no big deal. Some areas do have local ordinances against people spending the night in parking lots, so please, do ask. Just because someone else is already parked there doesn't mean they asked and it's O.K.

Also, as mentioned, don't make it look like you're setting up camp. Our local Walmart can't allow overnighters because someone came in and actually set up camp. Completewithjunker pickup and camper with a trashedcamp trailer,blue tarps, bar-b-que and dogs running loose. To get the people out of the parking lot, Walmart had to call the Sheriff's department and that lead to a county ordinance about ovenight stays at businesses.

Fortunately, not to many Walmarts have this problem, thanks to quality campers like the people we have in these forums.

aka Paul

'07 ST19CK

'08 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado
paulhodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

tried camping in the walmart in Lake George NY region.....asked at the desk and was told no because the local campgrounds comlained they were loosing business. It was mid NOV and everyone else was closed.Ask at desk to find out first.
Walkingstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

There is an app for that.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

If we stay at Wal-Mart, and we have a couple times, we shop in the store and I have been known to police up the immediate area near where I'm staying, and have pushed a few carts from the parking lot to the store as well.

Travel Safe ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Yep. Beats the truck stops most times for noise and has better security.

Just act like a human being and not some sort of animal and you will be fine.

Ask the desk for permission and where they would like you to park, patrionize the store if needed, don't treat their rest rooms like a bath house and don't set up camp, just do what is really necessary to have a good night.

And contrairy to what someone above tried to imply, Staying at most Wal Marts is LEGAL.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Just did a trip to Myrtle Beach and stayed at Frederick and Summersville Walmarts and we were always welcome.
Staff looking after the parking indicated to us where were the best places to park.
Off course like Ruck mentionned, we did everything we could to return the favor.

MM

2009 Silverado Duramax 2500HD
North_Bay 34SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Here is a website you can go on to tell you which Wal Mart does not allow camping.

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/noparking.html

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Here is another website, which gives you the date that it is updated.

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Go to this website and you will be able to download an app for your mobile for Wal Mart

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB