Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

st2358016

Well the time has come for new tires on the 5th wheel.the originals are mastercraft st2358016,one has thread separation. the one that failed has a date code for nov 11, the others are a few months newer. i i have no problems with having to replace the tires since they are so old.
i have read many threads on sites ,regarding switching to light truck tires, which with the model i have i would be within weight limits, has anyone switched to lt2457516? does anyone know the rim width on the patriot edition? i first thought of going with lt2358516 but i believe the bolts for the slide room adjustment would be too close to the taller tire. or would you suggest staying with st tires? i am aware of the brands to stay away from. i also plan to replace all tires every other year due to the heat of the summer.
best regards
Brett
Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

When I replaced the steel spare with an aluminum one I purchased - 16X6 6X5.5 bolt pattern

See this for tire sizes:

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/16-inch-Tires_c_301.html

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Oddly enough, I had to replace all the tires on my 08 32bl this past weekend. The tires on it were dry rotted and I had hoped to make it to the off season to replace. A trip to Westmoreland State Park in Va pointed out the error of my ways. We have st225/75R15 load range E. I too, had heard of upgrading to LT tires. I got talking with the tire dealer about the upgrade and he first looked to see what our camper was rated for as far as weight, load range. etc. He persuaded me to upgrade to a higher load range rather than switch to an LT tire. He explained the LT ride is a little rougher and that the longevity would be about the same, so it would be a matter of $$ and preference. I took the D load ST tires and instead of maxing the tire pressure of 80lbs, had them put in only 65lbs. The ride is obviously better than the old tires, but the tires themselves FELT better. Braking has improved, but I also noticed the tires themselves did not heat up as much(it was 95 the day I got the tires put on). I think I made the right choice in staying with the ST and upping the load range. Do your homework since tires aint cheap!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

RADMiller

I'll be sticking with ST trailers on ours need replacing too - in the years of RV'ing (since 1988) I have never had a tire failure - only axle issues which lead to early wear.

Not sure of the GVWR or axle weight of of your trailer. At 80 lbs the load range E tires should be rated at 2830 lbs. Reduced pressure will mean reduced load rating. The wheels would need to be rated for 80 lbs too.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
Well the time has come for new tires on the 5th wheel.the originals are mastercraft st2358016,one has thread separation. the one that failed has a date code for nov 11, the others are a few months newer. i i have no problems with having to replace the tires since they are so old.
i have read many threads on sites ,regarding switching to light truck tires, which with the model i have i would be within weight limits, has anyone switched to lt2457516? does anyone know the rim width on the patriot edition? i first thought of going with lt2358516 but i believe the bolts for the slide room adjustment would be too close to the taller tire. or would you suggest staying with st tires? i am aware of the brands to stay away from. i also plan to replace all tires every other year due to the heat of the summer.
best regards
Brett
Brett, check out the Michelin Ribs or the Bridgestone Duravis R250. Both excellent LT tires that many, many people are using on heavier trailers. I don't have 16" tires, so can't speak from experience, only relate the many happy stories about people who have switched. They should also sway you away from new tires every 2 years, as they'll way outlast any ST out there.

Lyle
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I'm new to 5er crowd but I will be going to LTs ASAP. My last trailer was a 30 ft Cedar Creek tongue pull that came with 8 ply 225 75r 15 and after 2 blow outs I switched to LTs on 16" steel wheels. I've never had another blow out and when I sold the trailer this year to buy our 08 Cruiser 30SK it had tires that were 5 years old and still in good shape. We put down a few miles as we fish the western major rivers rivers in the spring and fall and winter in Western AZ. We live in CO mostly in the summer. By the way we almost always have a drift boat or raft in tow behind the camper. LT 16 all the way, Just keep them covered in the down time. They do not have as good of UV protection additives that STs have since they are meant for truck use and typically don't see as many years in use as they may see on a trailer.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
dbflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

One thing to consider about trailer tires is that the STs are usually manufactured with stronger sidewalls to handle curbing the tires. I know, most of you are experts at towing your RVs and would never hit a curb, but I'm still learning.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
One thing to consider about trailer tires is that the STs are usually manufactured with stronger sidewalls to handle curbing the tires. I know, most of you are experts at towing your RVs and would never hit a curb, but I'm still learning.
Good advise Mike. I'm just getting used to the new to us 5er and I've bumped the curb at least 2 times that I've seen. I wasn't aware of the side wall differences, thanks for the info.
08 cruiser 30SK 5er, solid surface counter tops, 400 watt solar system, 6k axles, dexter never adjust brakes, 16" LTs draging a hyde drift boat behind an 08 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4, Duramax-Ally, CCLB.
dbflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote

« Remote | Tires »