Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Rob
New Camper

Smile Faded front cap...no more!

Hi, I thought i'd do a little write up for those experiencing the well known faded front cap issue.

I have a 2014 Sunset trail 28BH with the brown front cap. The fading was so bad that it reached all the way down to the blue LED's that run across the front of the cap. I have done a little bit of research into why it might be happening and discovered that the cap is made using the same methods as fibreglass boats, a gel coat finish. I turn my search to boats and discovered that boat owners also have problems with faded fibreglass.

I bought a rubbing compound specifically designed for marine use and also a polishing wax for marine and RV's. I spent almost 4 hours with an orbital polisher, first with the rubbing compound and then followed with the polishing wax. I am so pleased with the results and it looks as good as new. My plan going forward is to go over the front cap once a year with polishing wax to try to keep the fading at bay, hopefully i can keep the fading away!

I don't have any before pictures but I have attached a picture of the finished result along with the 2 products used.

DSC_4452.JPG

DSC_4451.JPG

DSC_4449.JPG

DSC_4450.JPG