Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Antenna Upgrade

I know there was a thread back about a year ago that talked about the Winegard Rayzar Automatic - Automatic RV Antenna that was released last fall. I had looked at these and researched the reviews which there wasn't a ton of them. I did find some mixed reviews for this antenna on some of the other rv forums. I recently got one of these antennas and this is what I have to say about the install and the performance. The thing that interested me was of course it being fully automatic and it is supposed to have a better signal quality.

First off this antenna is a lot smaller and lighter then I figured it was going to be. The diameter of the mounting area is a little over 18" and the height is less than 10".

Before I started I checked my reception with the current antenna and was able to get 22 channels with a few of them not coming in vary strong. I also checked the signal strength which was roughly around 90. When doing my research I noticed that I needed to have the booster less than 30' in cable length to the antenna. So here is my first challenge! On our floor plan they put our booster in the entertainment center behind the TV which is in the back half of the kitchen/entertainment slide out and the antenna at the front of the unit. My second challenge was the coax cable configuration which again was in the entertainment center part of the slide out behind the fireplace. Since I needed to move the booster to the bedroom that meant I would need to change how the antenna cable ran and where or how the splitter was configured.

My first challenge was solved by finding a non switched power source that ran through the ceiling to the light in our bedroom front closet. After pulling down lights and removing some ceiling A/C vents I was able to find the wire I needed. I tapped into this wire and ran the wire through the ceiling over to the TV hook-ups in the bedroom. With this accomplished I now needed to address my second challenge the coax cable issue. I went onto the roof and removed the antenna and attached a short piece of coax that was supplied with the antenna to the existing coax. I then pulled this cable into the inside and routed it through the ceiling over to the new booster location. This new cable went into the antenna in on the booster. The old antenna cable was now connected to the TV out on the new booster. The original coax that came into the bed room is now connected to the cable in on the new booster. Now I have to address the coax configuration where the old booster was. I removed the old booster from the wall and removed the original antenna in cable (which is now my TV out cable from the new booster) and attached it to the in side of the splitter. I then removed the cable in coax and attached it to the bedroom TV cable (which is now the cable in on the new booster) from the splitter. The last cable which was attached to the TV out is now connected to the new wall plate and the other end is attached to the open spot where the bedroom cable was connected on the splitter.

After I finished with all the coax I then went onto the roof and located where I would place the new antenna. The instructions said that it needed to be a minimum of 12" from the edge of the trailer and a minimum of 24" from the front of the trailer. Once I had the location I then went back into the trailer and powered everything up to make sure everything worked before screwing everything in place and sealing up the roof. I hit the power button on the booster and everything powered up with no error messages on the display. I then hit the search button and could hear the antenna rotating and could see the indicator lights moving on the new booster. After about 2 or 3 minutes the antenna was done searching and the panel said that it had located 9 viewable channels. According to the instruction book the display wont show the numbers of sub channels. So I turned on the TV and did a new channel search. When it finished I again had 22 channels the same as what I had with the other antenna. I then checked the signal strength which read 100. I then scrolled through the channels and found that I again still had 2 weak channels. The new booster has manual controls on it as well which I could of used to try tuning in the 2 weaker channels but I was satisfied with the results so I didn't bother. As for the picture quality I would have to say that it was considerably better. Some of the channels that were previously grainy seem to be more clear and the colors were more vibrant. I would say that the picture was as good as our home satellite picture. We will be interested to see how it does on our trips this spring and summer but if what I have seen so far is any indication I think we wont be disappointed in the results.

So in conclusion I would say that if you want the simplicity of not having to search for channels by turning the antenna manually and guessing if you are aiming the right way, not having to worry about cranking the antenna up and down, wanting a better picture, and not to concerned about having to do some extra work at installing it (like the mess I had to deal with) or the hefty price tag (retail price around $350.00) then this is something I would recommend checking into.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Yeah, I was surprised when I first saw it...
I asked the salesmen, is this the minature display unit ?

I looked at it long and hard when the old batwing's controls fell off in my hands

but with our oem cb antenna's, 3 ac's, 3 covered powered vents, solar panel, directv swm antenna, we were told too much interference on our own rooftop and to not expect much

oops, pic rotated on it's own !
this is also the before pic with only one solar panel, the old in motion sat up front and no vent covers - much busier up there now !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3Front.jpg (140.3 KB, 22 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Nice write up Phil.
Was it worth all the work to you?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Yeah, I was surprised when I first saw it...
I asked the salesmen, is this the minature display unit ?

I looked at it long and hard when the old batwing's controls fell off in my hands

but with our oem cb antenna's, 3 ac's, 3 covered powered vents, solar panel, directv swm antenna, we were told too much interference on our own rooftop and to not expect much

oops, pic rotated on it's own !
this is also the before pic with only one solar panel, the old in motion sat up front and no vent covers - much busier up there now !
I know that they do say that it shouldn't be to close to other things on the roof. I mounted ours just forward of the front corner of the front A/C and it didn't seem to affect it. I have read a few others have mounted it near stuff on their roof and said that they didn't have to much issue but I guess it all depends on what you have and how close everything is. Our roof has 2 A/C's, 2 power vents and 2 sky lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Nice write up Phil.
Was it worth all the work to you?
Thanks! As of right now I would say yes only because I always hated having to try and turn the antenna to find that sweet spot to watch TV. Plus I like that I don't have to worry about did I or did my DW put the antenna down. I also like that the picture quality has improved. So far I have only tested it out at the house so I will be interested to see if it performs any better than our old antenna did at some of our local camping spots.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 11-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Site Team

I bought a Rayzar last winter. I was also surprised by the compact size. Mine is still in the box waiting for me to find the time to install it. I'm glad to hear the positive review campingcpl.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Update

I thought I should update this thread with our experiences with the new antenna.

Since our install of the new antenna we have been to several different campgrounds and here is what we have experienced. As for the number of channels we could get really depended on if we were in an open area or in a wooded or an area surrounded by hills. In the open areas we could get just as many or more channels with better picture then with the batwing antenna we replaced. As for the other areas again reception was spotty just like with the batwing antenna. The only advantage was the channels we could get in were a lot clearer. I do have to admit that I really like the automatic feature and it showing where it found signal and the number of channels at each location. When it comes to fine tuning, in the open areas there wasn't really any needed. In the other areas we had to do some fine tuning on some of the channels and even that was really simple to do with just a push of a button.

Overall we are pleased with the new antenna. Now for the question would I recommend this antenna as a replacement....? If you are looking for something that is easy to use and something that will provide a really good picture then I would say yes, I would recommend it. If you are perfectly fine with doing the manual crank up antenna and turning it to find the channels then I would say no, save your money.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 07-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

I added the Wing Man attachment to my bat wing & really improved the picture & number of channels. I also downloaded the TV Guide app on my phone which once you've entered the zip code it will tell where the broadcast is coming out of so just point the antenna in that general direction, scan tv, then fine tune if necessary.
As side note, the TV Guide is just to see what's on at what channel, usually doesn't match exactly to what I'm picking up, but a good reference.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Glad to here that the Razar antenna is working well for you. Our trailer came with a (stock) omnidirectional antenna and provided poor reception at best. We went with the King Jack antenna, though it is not automatic like the Rayzar it has a signal meter to help find the strongest signal. The install was fairly easy and the sale price was great. The reception is great compared to the omnidirectional antenna. Sounds like the Rayzar or King Jack antennas both are a good upgrade.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I added the Wing Man attachment to my bat wing & really improved the picture & number of channels.
I had considered using one of these but after checking I didn't have enough clearance to add one. Plus with the new antenna I don't have to remember to crank it back down before we leave. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people going down the highway or leaving a campground with their antenna still fully extended.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL