Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Over commode cupboard

Dearly beloved is always looking for extra and more efficient ways to utilize space in 'Harvey', and being an avid handyman I'm always willing to oblige.

We were browsing at our local CW and found a coach with a similar floorplan to ours from another manufacturer.

The bathroom was almost identical with one exception. It had an eye level cupboard, triangular in plan form, directly over the commode. Cool, perfect for loo roll, and all the swabs and cotton balls so essential to feminine existence.

It was fitted into the right angle corner with two doors hinged on either side. To my surprise it does not interfere in the slightest with use of the commode or when drying off after a shower.

After examining 'Harvey's' walls, I was fortunate to find a stud about 15" each side of the corner, meaning I had ample structure to screw into once the cabinet was built, and I wouldn't have to resort to cavity fixings.

I opted for a simple lightweight construction, and built two triangular frames from 1" x 2" clear pine. I figured a top and back sides were not necessary which of course saves on weight. The right angle corners fit tight into the corner where the walls meet, and the hypotenuse is where the front face and door gets hung.

The front face is 1" x 3" and 1" x 2" clear pine, glued to the two triangular frames, and planed to create a pleasing angle at the sides.

The cupboard floor which is flush with the top edge of the front lower frame opening is from 1/8" doorskin I had lying about my woodshop.

I designed the cabinet to have only one door hinged at the top for simplicity. It is constructed from four lengths of 1" x 3" with mitered corner joints. With my router I cut an ogee bead on both front sides of the door pieces, and a 1/4" rabbet on the rear to accept the center panel before assembling it.

Once all the glue had dried, the cabinet and door assemblies were sanded smooth and stained with light walnut to match all the existing woodwork in Harvey.

Four coats of satin polyurethane flatted between each coat, and the result is a silky smooth cabinet quality finish.

The hinges and handle came from Home Depot, and the door stay I had left over from a bunch I ordered on ebay for the rest of Harvey's top cabinet doors.

Installation was straightforward with four 1 3/4" stainless screws into the aforementioned studs.

Some leftover molding, similarly stained and varnished completed the project.

Cost: Less than $50.00
Time: 6 hours, ish.
Result: One Very Very happy wife.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Great Idea and even better job. Thanks for the wonderful write up and pics.
Will NOT show this to the wife OK ill have to wait for the snow to stop and weather to warm up before WE consider this.

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Good ideal, good pictures to self explain the location and convenience, and looks really well done. Handy man for sure.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Excellent job. I bet you could sell all of them that you're willing to build.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Guys.

This was a fun and relatively simple project. I'm as happy with the 'factory' looks as Janine is with the extra space. Right now it's assumed the role of laundry hamper, but no doubt as we use 'Harvey' more during the season that will evolve.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Site Team

I agree with everybody--that is a nice looking mod.
But I must be misunderstanding something. In your last post you stated it was being used as a laundry hamper?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Yeah, you're right Lloyd, you know how it is.

I get the truck bed and the storage lockers accessed from outside up front for tools and deckchairs and crap, everything inside gets magically organized by Janine.

It works for me.....LOL
Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
New Camper

Send a message via MSN to MountainMaMa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles607 View Post
Dearly beloved is always looking for extra and more efficient ways to utilize space in 'Harvey', and being an avid handyman I'm always willing to oblige.

We were browsing at our local CW and found a coach with a similar floorplan to ours from another manufacturer.

The bathroom was almost identical with one exception. It had an eye level cupboard, triangular in plan form, directly over the commode. Cool, perfect for loo roll, and all the swabs and cotton balls so essential to feminine existence.

It was fitted into the right angle corner with two doors hinged on either side. To my surprise it does not interfere in the slightest with use of the commode or when drying off after a shower.

After examining 'Harvey's' walls, I was fortunate to find a stud about 15" each side of the corner, meaning I had ample structure to screw into once the cabinet was built, and I wouldn't have to resort to cavity fixings.

I opted for a simple lightweight construction, and built two triangular frames from 1" x 2" clear pine. I figured a top and back sides were not necessary which of course saves on weight. The right angle corners fit tight into the corner where the walls meet, and the hypotenuse is where the front face and door gets hung.

The front face is 1" x 3" and 1" x 2" clear pine, glued to the two triangular frames, and planed to create a pleasing angle at the sides.

The cupboard floor which is flush with the top edge of the front lower frame opening is from 1/8" doorskin I had lying about my woodshop.

I designed the cabinet to have only one door hinged at the top for simplicity. It is constructed from four lengths of 1" x 3" with mitered corner joints. With my router I cut an ogee bead on both front sides of the door pieces, and a 1/4" rabbet on the rear to accept the center panel before assembling it.

Once all the glue had dried, the cabinet and door assemblies were sanded smooth and stained with light walnut to match all the existing woodwork in Harvey.

Four coats of satin polyurethane flatted between each coat, and the result is a silky smooth cabinet quality finish.

The hinges and handle came from Home Depot, and the door stay I had left over from a bunch I ordered on ebay for the rest of Harvey's top cabinet doors.

Installation was straightforward with four 1 3/4" stainless screws into the aforementioned studs.

Some leftover molding, similarly stained and varnished completed the project.

Cost: Less than $50.00
Time: 6 hours, ish.
Result: One Very Very happy wife.
I can't see the pictures and am really interested in your project?
Can you please repost them?
MountainMaMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Very nice job. I won’t be showing my wife either. Don’t need another pretty project. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Photos re-posted.

Sorry everyone,

For some reason these went missing from the original post.

Here they are again..

Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

well done !