Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have just purchase 2009 Cruise CF28RL, with a lippert 1621 long pinbox. I will be towing it with a 2008 Chevy HD 3/4 T with a 6' 6'' box and a superglide fifth wheel hitch. My concern is about the pinbox hitting the box rails on the truck, when executing a sharp turn. Has anyone else had experience with a similar set up.

Pincher
pincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have the same truck as you do. I have the stock Cruiser Trailaire pinbox. In the trailer position, noturn while driving forward will hit anythingAS LONG AS THE TRUCK AND TRAILER ARE ONLEVEL PAVEMENT. It's when the one or the other twists due to uneven terrain that all hell breaks loose if the pin box and hitch are not set to provide adequate height clearance - AT LEAST 2 INCHES. I also had the pin box scrape the top of the tailgate in the manuvering position. I now lower the tailgate when manuvering. I have dropped the pin to it's lowest setting and raised the hitch to it's second highest setting. No problems since then.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your reply and I appreciate the information you have passed along.I am rather new at this RVing,actually as green as grass. So I will rephrase my
enquiry. I have a 2008 Chev 2500HD Duramax 3/4 T SB and I have a 2009 Cruiser CF28RL. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has a similar vehicle and trailer and how they set up their tow package.

Pincher
<h1 ="ha" style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; margin-top: 12px; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-left: 10px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : inherit; border-right: inherit; ">
</h1></span>
Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I thought WSC01Q answered your question. I have the same truck with a Glyde Ride box. Before I removed the 1621 box I didn't have any problems with sharp turns up to about 70 dgs. More than that you need to watch the back window. If you are still concerned, have the dealer watch the back end as you make some sharper turns before leaving the lot.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Stan;

I gather from your reply, that the factory installed Lippert 1621 pinbox worked with the Reese 16K slider. I have a Pullrite Superglide 16k that I would have liked to use. I took an rough measure of the pinbox an it is app. 36" from the middle of the centre pin, to the back of the pin box. The truck side rail to side rail measures 62". I am thinking that I need to to elevate the plate on the hitch high enough so that the bottom of the trailing end of the pinbox will clear the side rails by 6". This may not be possible without major adjustments and I may end up returning the superglide in exchange for a Reese hitch. I will make a trip to the dealer tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

Thank you all Pincher

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have the same truck &amp; fifth wheel &amp; superglide hitch with no problem,Camper sits 6'' above bed rail,I think the superglide hitch is the one to stay with.Made no adjustments.When making sharp turns camper stays about 2'' from cab.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Campersurveyor;
from the bottom of the box to the top of the rails is 21 '', the pullrite super glide is 15.5 " and a optional lift kit will add another 3" to this height. Did you use the lift kit
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Yes i did
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Pincher, I think you may be worrying a bit too much. The mount for the pinbox is angled at the back to allow just for what you are concerned about. I measured my pin to the back of the box and it too is 36" but if you subtract the height of the 5er overhang to the bedrails (in my case it's 5.5") and measure from the pin to this new point I get about 30". I think you will be fine.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for your feed back, you have eased my apprehensions. I have ordered the riser for the superglide and will have the hitch installed, will keep you updated on my first outing with 5er and truck.

Pincher
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I finally got the superglide 16K with lift kit installed on 2008 Silverado CC 2500 HD D/A truck, hooked it up to the 2009 cruiser CF28RL equiped with the lippert 1621 long pinbox. Pin box will not clear rails on a wide turn and 5th wheel looks like it is mounted on a truck with a 6 " lift kit. I am going remove the 3 " lift kit and reposition the pin box at the widest angle I can get between the under side of the 5th wheel and the top of the pin box Hopefully this will will lower the front and allow the pin box to clear the box rails. If anyone has any further suggestion, it would be much appreciated.

Pincher
Old 07-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

campsurvyer;
I left out some information on the description of my truck. It is a 2008 2500 HD Chev Sierre LTZ,Crew cab, 4x4. Do you have the 4x4 crew cab model? Just asking because I weighed my truck full of fuel, with me, my wife and our dog, it only left me with 1300Lbs for extra cargo weight.

Pincher