Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

We just got back from spending a week in Branson Mo and our 1 and only 13,5 AC got a workout with temps at 105. It did "OK" keeping the main part of the 5ver cool, but not up front. I was looking at adding a 2nd AC up front and was wondering if anyone runs 2 13,5 AC's off 30 amp service. I also don't think it is pre-wired for a second AC, but there is a fantastic fan in the vent.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I'll bet it is prewired for that 2nd AC. We have a single 13500 also. I don't believe you can run them both at the same time on 30 amps. Some have wired in a 20 amp recept. separately for the 2nd AC. It would be nice at night to have the one upstairs to cool the bedroom off for sleeping when you are in that kind of heat.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I added a second A/C in my SKp305 it is 50 amp and was prewired. I added a 13500, it was a high Eff. Model and only draws 8amps so you can run it on a 15 amp ckt breaker. You could add one of these in the bedroom then run a separate line to a plug on the outside and since a lot of Campgrounds have a 15/20amp plug you could actually plug into that. Supposedly these A/C were make so people could run them off there house circuits. The reason I went with this one is, it can run from a Honda 2000 gen. We stay in rest areas/truck stops when traveling and this way we can have air in the bedroom for sleeping. I installed my A/C and except for some major manufacturing errors (that CR fixed) installation was easy.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I believe the units that are prewired for a 2nd AC are all 50 Amp wired. If yours is a 30 Amp unit it probably will not be wired for the front AC and no, you can't typically run 2 AC on 30 amp. That is the whole reason for the 50 Amp units. Edited by: BipeFlier

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Just my opinion but I would opt for changing out the 13.5K for a 15K instead of adding a second a/c unit. Allyou need is the upper section that is outside on the roof. The inside part of the a/c unit should not need changed.Also, check the ends of your ductwork to be sure they are close off to create positive pressure. Many folks on the forum have found they are losing cold air to the attic because the ductwork is not sealed very good from th factory. Other things to consider: wehavefound some parks that only offer 30amp service so you still would not be able to use both a/c units, BipeFlier is corrrect you need 50amps to run 2 units. Adding a 2nd unit up front will increase your height. Good luck with your decision.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have a new 335 and we had second 11k ac added. I live in Tulsa and we need it to cool down and then the main one does fine for night.

I had a denali before and it had a 15k and 13.5k units and we had run them both on 30 amp but switch refer to gas and do not use micro or elec water heater. It worked fine.

scrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We have a 08 CF32BL and installed a colemanpolar cub 9200 btu AC over the vent on the front bedroom. I had to move antenna over near the black tankvent. The ac is a non ducted unit that is for cooling the master bedroom. We have a 15000 btuthat came installed from factory but here in Louisiana it was not enough. I ran a separate electric cord to the unit. I bought a round white cover from Lowe's electric dept. and covered hole where antenna passed through ceiling and a patch kit from camping world for hole in roof and cover hole with thin metal plate then put patch over it. Fish electric cord from vent to antenna hole to speaker hole over bed then pass cord behind moulding to rear corner and used angle shaped corner molding from Lowes to pass cord to floor and drop cord into corgo bay. On wall of corgo bay I have a inexpensive breaker box that I have a pigtail on and connect a extension cord to regular 110 outlet on electric post. I hope this info helps.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

private message me if you need anymore assistance.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
New Camper

We also have a 2011 305SKP (one of the first ones)and had the dealer install the second air before we picked up. They had to put two legs on the back of the ac unit to make it sit level with the front roof pitch. We know and the dealer knows that since it was one of the first few off the line that CR made a mistake where the vent was installed. Ours is under warranty and they are putting a new roof on because air is getting underneath the roof. The are willing to put the A/C to where CR has put the new air vent at now. But our control panel inside the camper for the second unit will be hitting the bathroom wall. We would like to know how CR solved your manufacturing defect. Dealer called today, 8/8/2012, and said they had the approval to do whatever they need to do to fix it. We would like to know and see how CR fixed others in similar situation. How did they repair/fix/correct yours? Does anyone know any additional information about this, etc.? We would like to speak with anyone about this issue. Thank you for your time and assistance.
lucyreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
New Camper

We would be willing to share cell/email... Thanks again.
lucyreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,2x4,QC

2011 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 SeaDoo GTX SC
wenzdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Adding a second A/C upfront (Bedroom) where you're vent is should not be a problem. Also you would have to run power via a seperate 20AMP cord/plug. BUT, beware before you install theA/C as to where you TV Ant is. This being, make sure it won't interfear with A/C placement.

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,2x4,QC

2011 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 SeaDoo GTX SC
wenzdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

If you have 50 amp service, the bedroom vent area is already pre-wired for the a/c and the ckt. breaker is in the power panel.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

lucyreeder

I have a 2011 305skp also and added 2nd air. Since it was prewired and vent was already in bedroom, decided to do it myself. Bought second air, removed old vent and caulking. Set A/C over vent cutout and got sick to my stomach. A/C would not fit over cutout because of the vent stack behind it. Needed about 4 more inches. Thought about cutting out piece of rubber roof and moving vent stack over and patching roof. Thought I would call CR first. When I did they said there had been a manufacturing error and the stack had been put in the wrong place. Told them I was thinking about cutting roof moving vent stack and then patch it. Was told not a good idea, because it would void my warranty. Only option remove entire rubber from roof and reposition vent stack, then install new rubber. CR said they would gladly do it and have it done in a few days. Only problem was the distance for me to travel. So they said they would send all the parts to the local Camping World and have them do it. I will say I was pretty upset after and the 2nd A/C and then it not fit. But CR did own up to it and shipped all the material and Camping World had it completed in three days, they even put my 2nd A/C in, since they were up there anyway. I didnt have any problem with A/C sitting on the slope of the trailer up front, its close to where the front slopes down though. I did wire the A/C myself. I have the duotherm thermosat that will handle two A/Cs but went with one that has local controls on the unit. The shroud that fits on inside against the ceiling was a little problem. The ceiling in the bedroom slopes so the shroud doesnt fit tight agains the celing but its fine. The front of it is close the the bathroom wall, maybe 2ft from it still blows ok. Again I will say CR was good to me and never gave me a problem about fixing it. Course it should have never happened anyway. Good luck on yours.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote