Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #21
JWN
Weekend Camper

Yes, I know about the Jensen amp, but I was wondering if another amp inline just before the TV would help or hinder the reception because the Jensen antenna is not as effective as the batwing antenna.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Stacking amps is not advisable unless they are designed for it. Remember you are amplifying noise also and would probably overload the input to the second amp.

You can't amplify what isn't there. I'm not at all impressed by the piece of junk... Like you said the batwing ran circles around it.

Now has anyone tried the "Jack" Antenna in place of the Jensen??? It would probably be an easy install as it doesn't raise or lower, sorta even looks like the Jensen.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

I tried adding an amp from Radio Shack, like you say "You can't amplify what isn't there".
I ran a coax cable to a neighbor camper and connected it between his outside output jack and to my cable input jack, then switched to cable on the wall selector switch (connected his antenna to my tv). I then got the 20 channels that he got with his winegardinstead of the zero that I got on my Jernsenantenna.

My advice is don't buy any trailer if it has a Jensen omni-directional antenna.

If Jensen or CrossRoads can fix this problem I might change my mind!

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
hhh
Seasonal Camper

An omni-directional antenna will never be as good as a directional antenna. It is fact of life on the way antennas work. The advantage of an omni is that if you have a TV station north and south it will pick up both, problem is that if the majority are in one direction, it is not as good. My guess is they use it because it is less expensive and easier to install. Anyways, if TV is important to you, you should get satellite.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Yes we have the new Jensen & sure wish we had the old Batwing back.. Right now where we are at we usually get 12 to 14 channels & have for years USA & Canada. Now we get six & all are Canada and only three are veryviewable. Hope some one gets it sorted out quickly!!Jb
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Weekend Camper

Just ordered a Winegard Sensor IV from Camping world (on sale for about$130). Will do a side-by-side comparison </span>before I install it. If it's not better, it goes back. If it's better I will install it.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Weekend Camper

It's kind of annoying. I get plenty of channels in my 2012 Slingshot, but they all seem to drop out every few seconds to minutes. I don't think I've had a channel that doesn't do this from time to time.

Maybe it's just a Wisconsin problem

<strike>2004 Dodge Durango</strike>

2009 GMC Sierra 1500

2012 Slingshot GT29BH
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #28
Family Vacation Member

Where we are currently at there are several folks with the Jacks head installed on the wineguard crank up. They told us the reception was fantastic compared to even the old batwing. I am in discussion presently with Jensen &amp; if they can't fix itI want a financial adjustment &amp; will install either the stand alone Jack or the batwing with a Jack head on it. Simple job either way &amp; Maximum $150,should cover it!!Jmho Jb
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
Family Vacation Member

I have been in communications with ASA parent co of Jensen co. They sent me a statement that they have not changed or made correction to the model we have on our rigs.They sent me a PDF to troubleshoot it though.I don't need that just a stronger antenna in the reception dept. I will ask Randy the next time we talk but I am thinking Batwing with a Jack head here I come. I absolutely need reception corrected before Thanksgiving, Mothers orders as that is when we head south for the winter &amp; she wants her local locals when on the road or anywheres we land..Jb
Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Just got thru installing the Winegard Sensar IV in place of the Jensen. Works great here at home. One channel (4.1to 4.3)went from middle-low normal strength to high strong, and picked up about 5 new channels that weren’t </span>there before. In 2 weeks we will go to Wisconsin Dells where I got zero channels before and see how the Winegard works, I'll let you know.

How can I get a hold of Randy, I would like to see if Cross Roads will do anything.

P.S. When I took the Jensen off, I found that the base had standing water and the mounting screws were rusting. I don't think it affected reception but indicates poor instillation.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Full Time Camper

MAC-2 thanks for insight. I'm glad I have the old crank up design, but I'm thinking about getting the additional wings to see if that helps with the pixelation.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
hhh
Seasonal Camper

I wish I could change but the location of mine would make it close to impossible to get to the crank.. I have so little space on the roof not sure if it could be located someplace else.

https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #33
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Mac-2:

I know that is what I am going to do without a doubt but still wish to talk to Randy first. I have shopped hard &amp; found some sensars at right about $100 dollars,cheap price to keep momma happy!

I have room so no real problem but might need to index it a little different so it won't hang over the end of the trailer.Keep up the info flow Jb
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

I thought about replacing mine with the Jack antenna but then realized at the current location you would need to be 8' tall to reach the handle and the antenna would be at an angle. Probably not the best setup.

Oh well we don't go camping to watch TV anyway. We have movies for the DVD if the idiot box has to be on.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #35
JWN
Weekend Camper

mac-2

Just wondering what model Cruiser, I have a CF30ES. My Jensen is over the livingroom ceiling, where was yours? Did the mounting of the new Winegard cover all of the Jensen mounting holes. What did you use as a sealant?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #36
Weekend Camper

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #37
Weekend Camper

My Jensenwas in the living room, about five and a half feet from the back end of the trailer and a foot and a half from the drivers side. The wingman part of the Winegard is on the curb side so no overhang problems. Roof is not level but slope is not bad, and I can reach to adjust inside.

Now I can get two Madison Wisconsin stations that are 62 and 64 miles away.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD