Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had any problems with mice getting in their 5th Wheel, We have had a TT for years and never had any mice problems, but friends of ours has a 5er and have a problem with them getting in their floor, Sense we will be Cruising in a few weeks I was wondering if anyone else have had problems and what did you do about the little critters.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I haven't seen the 5er yet this year, but I had no problem last year. Knock on Wood. I think a lot has to do with where you park. Mice don't like open areas, so if you parked by heavy brush or in grass you'll have a great chance for intrusion.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

All so if you park on rocks they hate them. Of course a big tom cat that is hungry will cure the problem also.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy
I keep mine plugged in all winter and with that a plug in ultra-sonic rodent repellent. I have been in the camper several times the past few weeks getting it ready for our first trip in April and so far no evidence of any mice.

2008 CF32BL
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I have always heard dryer sheets keep them away ??? I throw them all over the camper and then save them in the sping to get the bugs off the front cap. We have never had an issue but I have no idea of knowing if this actually works. So far so good.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
I have always heard dryer sheets keep them away ??? I throw them all over the camper and then save them in the sping to get the bugs off the front cap. We have never had an issue but I have no idea of knowing if this actually works. So far so good.
A few years ago I had a guy who owned 3 classic cars he stored with me.
In the winter he would just load them things with bounce drier sheets. Never had any mice in them.
I didn't tell him, I had poison bait buckets and traps set all over in the building.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Last year we were dry camping in the sticks and got a couple of mice on board. Trapped those 2 and put 3 or 4 bounce sheets in the basement and sink cabinet and never had another problem in 4 weeks at that camp. So now I have them in the storage compartments all the time.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

we have atravel trailer,and last year had mice in it from being in outsidestorage. Larry checked under the sinks and storage areas and found large holes aroundthe wherepc pipes are. In the fall we bought foam insulator installed it around the pipes closing off the largeholes were the mice were coming in! It worked then so we'll see how it isin May when we pick it up. Karen
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We picked up some hitchhiking mice last year when we were camped in the national forest for several days. At some point they vacated, I got a couple of the previously mentioned ultra sonic rodent repellants and that seemed to chase them off after I unsuccessfully tried traps for a couple of weeks.I then used steel wool to plug up all the gaps around the pipes and other openings....

Word to the wise, do it yourself.My brother had mice in his class A. Remembering what I had told him about the steel wool, when his rig was in for service, he asked his dealer to mouse proof his rig the same way. The dealer had one of the lot flunkies plug all the holes with steel wool. So the dude did them all. This included removing the drain cap and stuffing the pipe full of steel wool... My brother does not go back there for service any more... Edited by: shoetravel

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
My dad told me to check my 5ver for openings and seal them with steel wool and caulk. He said that the mice won't go through the steel wool for some reason, but will chew or scratch through that foam insulation.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I guess we'll have to do the steele wool at one point. thanks for the info we did try drier strips it didn't work for us. So after each camping trip I clean up really well keeping everything in plastic bins under the cabinets. we will see what this season brings for us. Karen
Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

yea, The dryer sheet idea failed us this year. No damage but that sucked left a trail all over. We wasked every thing and vacumed real good. Next year we will be adding traps of all kinds.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I still say there is nothing like a hungry Cat
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
I still say there is nothing like a hungry Cat

You mean as a snack for Hoover?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

I do not know,,, But just think it double as a guard for Don' Adult Beverage and mail box

Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

The only time we had a mouse was when we left the electrical cord door open and the cord was dragging on the ground. He left us at the KOA in Limon Colorado,( I guess weleft them a fresh blood line) That was in a TT. Has anyone had any trouble with them getting in around the slides? With a enclosed belly where else could they get in at?
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Thats a good back up plan as well. Karen
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #18
Seasonal Camper

The bourbon is looked up in a bunker lol
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Are you sure it's not Tequila Karen &Larry
Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Steel wool is good but don't use steel. It rusts. Use the bronze wool. More expensive but doesn't rust.

Oh, also, hungry cats don't eat mice for food nearly as quickly as a well-fed cat does for sport...
Edited by: Fiddich
Fiddich is offline   Reply With Quote