Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
New Camper

Hi,

I am thinking of replacing the Jensen Omni-directional TV antenna with a Winegard. My question is how will this affect the FM radio reception? The Jensen has an FM trap, but the Winegard does not. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you tell me if you still receive acceptable FM radio signal? I am not worried about AM, because I don't get any with the Jensen. I also have the Jensen stereo/dvd system in the fifth wheel.

Thanks.
dbkarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I do now have the wineguard to replace the worthless Jensen,but being honest I have not tried the radio since. I have done two different Things over the years.On our old Paradise Point I bought a auto antenna and stood it up behind the tv set and fastened with wire ties to wall.worked good. I also just installed an side mount outdoor antenna on the side and ran the lead into the unit.Both ideas worked well. JMHO jb
Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
New Camper

Thanks John. I had thought the same thing. I will try the antenna first and see what type of radio reception I get, and then will look at the auto antenna. I wonder if the Jensen is really that bad, or if it might not be an issue where it is mounted. It is behind the air conditioner at the back of the trailer. It sits behind the high point of the middle of the trailer, and probably can't get much of a signal. Either way, I am going to replace it.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

When I replaced mine the radio worked fine, only tried FM.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for the info Mac-2.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

DbKarbo: I recognize your frustration with the TV reception - But I would recommend that you check your connections BEFORE your replace the Antenna.
My experience has been as follows:
a) Previous KZ trailer: Cable connection from Winegard was broken at one of the connectors - only barley received one channel at home where I can receive 8 + channels easily.

b) New 2012 335SS last Fall: Again only receiving one fuzzy Channel at home - removed Cable TV / Antenna / Satellite selector switch / wall plate ( usually found behind TV) from wall and found cables from many sources, including the antenna, were connected to the wall switch plate with metal connectors inside wall space. Metal connectors were either a) not connected tightly together, and / or b) the rubber sleeve insulators were not fully covering the metal connectors - resulting in short circuits between the various feed cables.

I fixed all the issues above with the following results for the Cruiser:

1) On antenna I now receive 11 channels ( better than inside the house 50 feet away - with an RCA desktop Digital / analogue antenna).
2) On cable many of my previous " fuzzy" channels ( this is at a cable equipped campground) are now clear - and I receive a couple of more channels than I received before. This finding is based on before and after visits to the same campground at the same site both before and after the fix.
3) Satellite signal: I can easily tune ( point) the satellite signal to be be in the high 90% strength range as measured by my Satellite tuner inside the RV - previously I was only in the 70% range after a lot of fine tuning / pointing.
4) The radio receives many more channels ( the FM band is packed) than previously.

In Summary: I find the Jensen antenna works great - the problem for me was the quality of the installation - all the source cable touching together behind the selector switch in the tight wall space resulted in either bad or no reception depending on the source that you were talking about.

By the way: This took me approximately 1/2 hour to fix and test ( and $0.00).

Recommendation: Check your connections before installing a new antenna.

2012 335SS

2009 Chev 2500HD 6.0 L gas
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I agree with thhe location where it is installed is bad and it only stands up like 12 inches. But as we traveled it was all over the map on reception performance. Finally My dW said to me as we prepared to go south that I had better have an operating TV antenna for the trip. We did nothing more than install the wineguard on the roof and we get about anything out there per location. No more worry about Momma being unhappy.I talked to someone in the know down in trailer making country and they said there had been a bunch of unhappy customers that ended up with the Jensens on their rigs.For whatever reasons! JMHO jb
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

John B: As you said " I agree with thhe location where it is installed is bad and it only

stands up like 12 inches. But as we traveled it was all over the map on

reception performance." I had the same performance issues before I checked and repaired the cable connections - after I fixed everything works great and I have a happy wife ( and life!).

2012 335SS

Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Boomer---my Jensen is giving me all kinds of trouble. How did you tighten up the connections? Are they crimp, or screw? Now that you said about the cable channels being fuzzy, I remember the only park we have been in that had cable all of the channels were fuzzy and I couldn't figure out why. Maybe that explanes it. My brother has the same antenna can be in a site right next to me and get 7 channels--I on the other hand get zero channels. I'll check all of the connections before my next trip.

Flyone
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

To tighten up the connections:

1) unscrew the selector switch and plate ( all one unit) from the wall from behind the TV.
2) carefully pull out the cords attched to the back of the switch plate - they are really crammed tight in the wall space.
3) pull back the rubber sleeves around the connectors and screw the metal connectors together,
4) replace the rubber sleeves so that ALL metal on the plugs are covered - I used some electrical tape to make sure the sleeves stayed in place for the next step - really important that all metal is covered and isolated,
5)CAREFULLY put connectors and cables back inside wall ( take your time this is the important step) and screw the plate back on the wall,
6) test all connections - to satellite, cable and antenna and radio by switching switch appropriately and trying multiple channels.

Note - I had to do step 5 above twice to get it right - the wall space is very tight, just to confirm that this is the problem I tested before I put things back in the wall to make sure the equipment was working correctly.

2012 335SS

Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Great thank-you, I'll do it this weekend---hopefully that will take care of my "no reception" problem.

Flyone
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

This might not help, it didn't on mime. If the antenna is on the lower part of the roof or behind the A/C unit reception will be zilch. Thats why I switched to the Weingard antenna.

CF32MK

2011 Silverado 2500HD

Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
New Camper

He says that I'm easy to please. and I think that he's right. Before the dinner, I'm thinking that maybe I'll try to con Che and Zilla in to taking a little shopping trip with me. Commandant Kant enters to yell at Manny. "You are evil and there ain't no way true religion jeans for women no how for you ever to be truly good. So you go get yourself to church, young man.

A person who is spirit-oriented cannot but produce peace and happiness for himself. It is as inevitable as the suffering of the matter-oriented person. It is a matter Moncler Jacket of polarity of consciousness.. But I find the series' willingness to confront such issues as death, love and faith on an intellectual level kind gucci handbags of brave. Yes, there's a lot of talking in Caprica, a lot of moody evocation of internal turmoil and tumult; but I find myself true religion jeans genuinely grappling with the issues at hand. There may be no less exciting, and yet no more intellectually stimulating, hour-long series on TV right now.

during this case the Jordan 5 Fire that the Jordan half dozen Rings uses is totally lined. Gucci bags The Air Jordan 5 Retro is that used on the Jordan thirteen and therefore the fuzzy emblem tongue is ever gift within the color black. air jordan 5 retro I want I might believe otherwise.

The CDC states that canines aren't normally susceptilbe to avian influenza viruses. cats, tigers, leopards, stone martens). It has raised concern this strain of avian influenza A (H5N1) virus could be capable of infecting canines. This confused me to no end and caused true religin outlet me many worries. In my opinion giving your true <a href="http://www.truereligi&#111;nusaoutlet.com/" target="_blank">true religion jeans outlet religion sale[/url] child a rough religious structure is a good thing and true religion jeans for men you should let the kid fill in the gaps with their own choises. 2) Yes the world is full of stupid people but there are chaussure puma intelligent people too, and they appear in the most unlikly of places.

9Hang out in nammer hotspots. Nammers go out a lot and are often seen doing the 'nammer squat.' You can find them crusing around, visiting friends, partying, and usually, clubbing. Many of them get fake IDs to go Moncler Canada into 19+ clubs, but nammers always go to all age or high-school only ones as well..

xclusive developed private produced own developed have Gucci Australia produced aim for developed target produced tailor made custom made designer watches correct this specific exclusive exclusive exclusive instant. Theyre just only only sporty, stylish along with would definitely they are simply simply normally used by employing keeping and therefore cooperate by employing todays top rated group created for along with group created for along with group contact lenses along with group associates along with musicians and singers galaxy. Which often normally usually normally exercise sessions might be widening substantially concerning primarily almost every concerning essentially every with regard to practically just about every for any on a yearly basis base base base base, which often normally approach might be correct gives products and solutions in addition to answers along with responses in addition to answers along with responses in addition to places products and solutions in addition to answers along with responses athletics in addition to Demos.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp990702
He says that I'm easy to please. and I think that he's right. Before the dinner, I'm thinking that maybe I'll try to con Che and Zilla in to taking a little shopping trip with me. Commandant Kant enters to yell at Manny. "You are evil and there ain't no way true religion jeans for women no how for you ever to be truly good. So you go get yourself to church, young man.

A person who is spirit-oriented cannot but produce peace and happiness for himself. It is as inevitable as the suffering of the matter-oriented person. It is a matter Moncler Jacket of polarity of consciousness.. But I find the series' willingness to confront such issues as death, love and faith on an intellectual level kind gucci handbags of brave. Yes, there's a lot of talking in Caprica, a lot of moody evocation of internal turmoil and tumult; but I find myself true religion jeans genuinely grappling with the issues at hand. There may be no less exciting, and yet no more intellectually stimulating, hour-long series on TV right now.

during this case the Jordan 5 Fire that the Jordan half dozen Rings uses is totally lined. Gucci bags The Air Jordan 5 Retro is that used on the Jordan thirteen and therefore the fuzzy emblem tongue is ever gift within the color black. air jordan 5 retro I want I might believe otherwise.

The CDC states that canines aren't normally susceptilbe to avian influenza viruses. cats, tigers, leopards, stone martens). It has raised concern this strain of avian influenza A (H5N1) virus could be capable of infecting canines. This confused me to no end and caused true religin outlet me many worries. In my opinion giving your true <a href="http://www.truereligi&#111;nusaoutlet.com/" target="_blank">true religion jeans outlet religion sale[/url] child a rough religious structure is a good thing and true religion jeans for men you should let the kid fill in the gaps with their own choises. 2) Yes the world is full of stupid people but there are chaussure puma intelligent people too, and they appear in the most unlikly of places.

9Hang out in nammer hotspots. Nammers go out a lot and are often seen doing the 'nammer squat.' You can find them crusing around, visiting friends, partying, and usually, clubbing. Many of them get fake IDs to go Moncler Canada into 19+ clubs, but nammers always go to all age or high-school only ones as well..

xclusive developed private produced own developed have Gucci Australia produced aim for developed target produced tailor made custom made designer watches correct this specific exclusive exclusive exclusive instant. Theyre just only only sporty, stylish along with would definitely they are simply simply normally used by employing keeping and therefore cooperate by employing todays top rated group created for along with group created for along with group contact lenses along with group associates along with musicians and singers galaxy. Which often normally usually normally exercise sessions might be widening substantially concerning primarily almost every concerning essentially every with regard to practically just about every for any on a yearly basis base base base base, which often normally approach might be correct gives products and solutions in addition to answers along with responses in addition to answers along with responses in addition to places products and solutions in addition to answers along with responses athletics in addition to Demos.

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN Us ,What IS This post relative to inRVING or anything else???