Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just thought I would post a heads up on possible problems with valve stems. I purchased the TSTtire pressure and heat monitoring systemfor my 2011 26RKX Cruiser last winter in while visiting the RV show inQuartzite, Arizona. After installing them on our 5th wheel in early spring we took a week long trip covering about 1000 kms. When we got home from the trip I noticed some scoring marks on the tire rims right next to the valve stem. I determined that the valve stem was folding over at highway speeds due to the added weight of the TMPS sensor that was attached to the top of the valve stem. I took my 5th wheel down to my local tire dealer (Kal Tire) and asked if there were any replacement valve stems that were stiff enough to stop the folding over of the valve stem. The technician examined my existing valve stems and concluded that the valve stems that were originally installed on the trailer rims were designed for light duty passenger car use and not for medium or heavy duty use that would be encountered using a tow trailer rated at 11,000 lbs.gross trailer weight. We ended up installing metal reinforced truck type valve stems that do NOT flex at any speed. The technician stated that the original valve stems were designed for tire pressures up to 40 lbsmaximumand NOT the 55 - 60lbs coldthat I run in my trailer tires.So, I thought I would post this experience I had and possibly avoided a tire stem failure down the road.

(BTW, Kal Tire only charged me for the price of the valve stems.......no labour charge!!)

Steady Fast Stabilizer System

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab
201126rkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Good info and that was nice of the tire dealer. When I bought my TPMS, I was told to get steel stems by the company. At the time, I wasn't sure why. Thanks for posting.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Full metal valve stems are really needed for external tire sensors. You could also try TST's internal sensors with flow try metal valve stems and 7 yr battery life.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When I first installed my sensors the instructions said you use the rubber steams but I changed to steel just in case. It did not take long and just cost a few bucks a tire.