Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Barking dogs, and such.

So, we spent the weekend at Tremont Outdoor Resort in Townsend, Tennessee, the "Peaceful side of the Smokies". We had a great weekend, the weather held off for the most part and it was really nice weather for watching football outside the camper Saturday afternoon and night. However, when we were trying to get the camper set up and leveled and the Dish system set up, our little Yorkie had a bit of a barking fit at some other dogs in the area. (It only lasted for four or five minutes, tops.) Her barking apparently disturbed our neighboring campers so much that the gentleman came over and reamed me pretty good. I couldn't disagree with his displeasure over the barking, as other yappy dogs annoy me. Of course, we had no intention of allowing her to continue barking, but were just distracted with our set up. Fortunately, my Christianity prevailed and I held my temper with the gentleman and we made up later in the weekend. So, what say ye? How much yappiness should be tolerated before confronting another camper?
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you are busy setting up, I could tolerate longer barking periods. Dogs that lunge towards other dogs or bark all day are what I cannot stand.

We have a beagle. Surprisingly, she NEVER barks (crazy for a beagle, I know). I guess I am spoiled as yappy dogs annoy me. There is no reason to be rude about it right away, however. I suppose I would just ignore it, or maybe say something simple and polite if it were a continuous problem.
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't think I would have said anything quite that soon, but in all honesty, I have to admit barking dogs are a great annoyance to me.
I feel it's the pet owners responsibility to have their pet under control at all times.
You have to remember, a lot of people go camping to enjoy the peace and quiet, not to listen to somebodies barking dog.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We typically leave the dog in the idling closed up truck until slides out, etc...
then him into the rv while we do the rest...

NEVER tied out where is is not under our control...
primarily because other pet owners DON'T control theirs (or their kids) - and may think it's ok to come up to him !

we couldn't stand it if there was an incident -
and in 9 out of 10 cases OUR dog would be the winner
Old 10-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

i would rather hear barking dogs than unrulely, spoiled ,poorly disciplined, untrained or mischievous children.
Chateau Duke To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't think I would have said anything quite that soon, but in all honesty, I have to admit barking dogs are a great annoyance to me.
I feel it's the pet owners responsibility to have their pet under control at all times.
You have to remember, a lot of people go camping to enjoy the peace and quiet, not to listen to somebodies barking dog.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. However, I'd say it's close to 50/50 campers who bring dogs along versus those who don't, and almost all the dogs will bark at some point in a weekend trip, no matter how well disciplined. I have a Labrador Retriever that we also bring along sometimes who would literally lay outside the camper off his leash and not bother anyone or bark, but those dogs are few and far between. We keep the Yorkie quiet the great majority of the time, but she does occasionally yap a little when another dog enters 'her' space. We typically stick her in the camper if we can't hush her pretty quickly. I certainly do agree that most of us camp for the peace and quiet of it, so I don't want my yappy dog to ruin anyone else's weekend.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

the guy was looking for a fight. some folks are like that. always looking for a confrontation.

if he is so wound up tight that a couple minutes while you were setting up bugged him, he is a confrontation waiting to happen. it could have been kids (if you have any, or grandkids) it could have been your truck idling. it could have been anything that set him off.

it could have been the other dogs in the area and you were the new folks, thus vulnerable in his eyes.

dogs are going to bark for a few as they are excited about getting there, are announcing I am here, etc.

I don't like hearing dogs continually bark, as much as I don't like hearing kids continually screaming. But kids are going to play and dogs will bark and we understand there is going to be some noise it is a fact of life.

Our kids played and our dogs will occasionally bark, just like everyone else's will.

Otherwise, go to an adults only, no pets allowed place.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

A little barking never hurt anyone...seeing pet owners apparent ignorance/uncaring that their dogs are yapping away drives me nuts...that shows utter disrespect for others. In this case I suspect the angry neighbour mistook your distraction for uncaring and jumped the gun. It could also be the fact that setting up your sat dish is not an excuse for those that hold us TV watchers in disdain as well. I don't have pets but I do have kids so I try not to be overtly judgemental.

2014 F350 6.7 PSD
8iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I love animals. We used to have a beautiful Siberian Husky that would only bark at people that he didn't know. We never traveled with him. We live next door to people who own a German Shepherd that is dumb as dirt and barks at everything. Mostly, he barks to get back in the house. He is somewhat of a wuss! I do believe a few minutes of barking won't hurt anyone. On the other hand, when we are enjoying our travel trailer and the great outdoors, I do not want to hear any dog barking for any period of time. Most people are considerate of others. I think people that camp are usually, friendly, considerate folks. Loud music can be just as annoying as a dog barking.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

My son camps with a Catahoula leopard dog on a tie out chain and others allow their little dogs to roam, but not more that once. She is VERY territorial. Enough said.

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I think there needs to be tolerance and understanding both ways. He was overly aggressive in my eyes but if the dog had been barking all evening then maybe a polite word about it. I don't mind short bursts of barking. I akin short bursts of barking to the sound of happy children playing. It is a somewhat welcome sound of fun in a campground as long as it isn't overboard. Expecting a dog not to bark at all is unrealistic. Expecting a Child not to play or to be completely quiet is unrealistic. Reasonable volumes are normal.

What I really mind is uncontrolled pets. For example at the rally this weekend, we were trying to back into our spot when three dogs were running loose in the field in front of me straight for my truck. The guy was walking behind them with a leash and collar giving the impression they had gotten loose. At first we tried to help catch them but he was so laid back and they ran another direction so we went back to getting into our site. The next day, there he was again with all 3 dogs off leash in the same field. He was a staff member and doing it on purpose. There were several other campers seen doing the same thing throughout the weekend. One had two dogs running around all the kids for the costume contest, another let us dog wander into other sites. They kept their dogs away from my child and my dog so I stayed quiet about it but I was on guard for it all weekend.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Our dogs make every trip.
Jut as we did with children...their behavior is job one.
We also leave them in the tow vehicle until we can provide proper attention.

We have had few issues..our female has a high prey drive...we have to keep a close on her...both hunt together as a team, an aggressive dog would trigger them.

We work hard to respect others as we want to be respected AND we understand not everyone are dog people.

2014 - 47 Nights - 1445.8 miles.
2013 - 44 Nights -
2154.8 miles.

ZT211RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Because of the nature of what we do- travel for my husband's employment, (working many different shifts, the need to sleep during the day) we are very careful with "first impressions" with our two Girls. The worst thing for him is to try to sleep while our neighbor's dogs bark for hours on end. The second worst thing is when no one picks up after their dogs or people don't respect the leash rules. (Ok, that's two.) Oh and we really have an issue with yapping ankle biters. Rant over!
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I am glad to see other folks camp with Dobermans. Ours are a cross between a Doberman and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I take them and introduce them to the neighbors so they see they are big friendly guys and nothing to be afraid of if they happen to get loose.

Once most folks see that they are simply happy to see them, you see the folks relax then they start petting and talking to them.

People have been conditioned by television to think black and tan is an indication of a mean dog.

Blake and Otto weigh 125 lbs each. I looked for years for the appropriate cross breed. When I was younger, I helped train attack dogs and did obediance training. These I worked with to be good with other dogs and kids. They won't let a stranger enter the house without being invited in, but they don't get after folks either.

Here is one of our dogs with his pet cat, or it is are cat with her pet dog

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

We are on our final night of a 5 1/2 week trip. I have never seen so many dogs as I have in the past month! It seems like almost every camper has at least one dog, a lot of them more than one.

We have not been bothered as most dog owners are pretty good. One thing I find funny is that when people say "pet", as in, do you have a pet, they mean dog. Why not just say dog?

We travel with a cat, and when we arrive they sometimes ask what breed is our pet (the reservation online states we have a pet). I just answer "Ragdoll", which causes confusion, as they mean dog, and Ragdoll is a cat breed.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Texas State Parks has it figured out. ALL pets must be on a leash or inside. No pens or stakeout chains etc. Our wiener stays in the truck asleep, usually, until we are setup and then is moved to the trailer.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Many good responses. To clarify, we did have the Yorkie on a leash, but just weren't paying attention to her yapping while we were busy with other things. The misses was setting up the Dish and I was still getting the camper set up, so we just weren't on top of it like normal for that brief period of time.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 10-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT211RD View Post
Our dogs make every trip.
Jut as we did with children...their behavior is job one.
We also leave them in the tow vehicle until we can provide proper attention.

We have had few issues..our female has a high prey drive...we have to keep a close on her...both hunt together as a team, an aggressive dog would trigger them.

We work hard to respect others as we want to be respected AND we understand not everyone are dog people.

On some trips, If I left kids+dog in TV until I could thems proper attention, that could be several hours Like after dinner and a few uninterrupted conversations with my bride.

Just kidding.

We do the same. Kids now help setup, but dog stays in car. She's a rescue that was abandoned ...and not a fan of anything on four legs or her own shadow. She acts like nut job whenever another dog comes by the trailer, but she can hardly run anymore..sad really.

Not too mention that previous tenants often leave little piles of welcome gifts behind that my dog likes to roll in for some reason.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Our cat is always either in the truck with us, in the trailer, or on a leash with one of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-10-12 (2).jpg (175.2 KB, 2 views)

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Our cat is always either in the truck with us, in the trailer, or on a leash with one of us.
That looks like a vicious cat! I'd hate to run up on it off the leash. Seriously, I'm a cat lover, too. We have one inside the house and two barn cats outside. We don't travel with them, though.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags