Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
Lee
Weekend Camper

Question Can a clogged black tank air vent cause toilet clogging?

Does the air vent that goes out of the roof have anything to do with waste not going down into the tank?
This has happened frequently (I haven't checked the vent yet), but I'm a full time RVer I always get my tanks emptied every 2 months. Yet for the last 4 or 5 months one month after getting it emptied (a company does it) the toilet bowl will fill up with liquid and nothing will go down.
I treat the tank with plenty of enzymes that are supposed to unclog any pyramids or solid waste.
This time I've put more water down the toilet than I have in the past hoping it would do the trick.
I never put tp in the toilet.
I've tried a snake auger
I tried a small sink plunger today, no luck. I'm going to get a bigger plunger today.

Will a plugged air vent cause the issue due to inadequate air flow?
Thanks in advance 🚽🙏🏻

My trailer is a 2020 crossroads zinger 290 kb
Old 06-26-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Does your camper have a black tank flush? If so, does the company that empties the tank flush it after emptying it? What size tanks do you have that are large enough that you only need to dump every 2 months?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
Lee
Weekend Camper

Hi, I don't think it has a black tank flush but I rinse it out as it's being pumped out.
It's 39 gallon tank.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Team

I would think you have other problems. The toilet sits over the tank and other than the floor thickness it is a straight shot. Not getting into your personal habits and not knowing your family size but emptying the tank every 2 months seems like a long time. Could it be the tank is just full?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Team

It's possible that you do have a poop pyramid. Me personally would dump the tank every two weeks at the most. Two months is way to long for it to sit. It may harden. Does your gate valve open for the tank, assuming you are connected to a sewer dump.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:02 PM   #6
Lee
Weekend Camper

I also thought/think it's a pyramid but it keeps happening despite doing everything I can to prevent this. No I'm not connected to a dump. I'm a full timer and have a company empty it when it's full.

I guess emptying it more frequently would remedy this, along with using even more water than I already have been.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Team

I have heard of this so it maybe something to check on yours. The pipe from the toilet into the tank was too long and just a couple inches off the bottom of the tank so it did not take much solids to start a clog or pyramid. Not saying that is your problem but something to check.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:44 PM   #8
Lee
Weekend Camper

Ok thanks for your input ��
Old 06-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I believe the answer to your question is Yes/Maybe. All plumbing relies on air displacing liquids through an atmospheric vent. Think about your home. There is a vent to the roof, if air doesn't enter that vent, the sewer line wont flow out to the appropriate sewer. If you don't have air admittance valves on horizontal lines to the stand drain, they may not evacuate. Look at dishwasher plumbing drain connections - same is true. Many suggest an air gap install.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:19 PM   #10
Lee
Weekend Camper

That's exactly what I've been thinking! Thanks for pinpointing what my suspicions are. It could very well be other things causing this problem but I'm going to get on the roof tomorrow and see what I figure out. If I figure anything out I'll report back here
Old 06-28-2023, 05:39 AM   #11
Site Team

I would think if the stack was blocked it would not dump very well. Like pouring water from a milk jug it will burp air back into it but cut a hole in the bottom-your vent pipe- and the water runs out fast with no burping. When you flush it is not enough to block the discharge pipe that it would create pressure in the tank. Also when the company pumps your tank if the vent was clogged it would be difficult to do so. As the liquid goes out air must come in so if the stack was blocked it could create a vacuum and implode the tank.

Next time it is empty turn off the water and take a look down the discharge pipe. There may indeed be a pyramid.

Again just my thoughts on the subject. What ever the solution is please let us know.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Does the company who empties the tank have a clear connector to see if anything is coming out? For the life of me I can’t understand how you can go two months without emptying the tank.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:50 PM   #13
Lee
Weekend Camper

Hi yes they do and we can see the water becoming clear after all the grossness. If everyone must know it's a big tank and I don't poop a lot, you're welcome. I live in it so I don't think there's any way it could be drying out.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:56 PM   #14
Lee
Weekend Camper

Yeah every time I've looked down I see no pyramid or anything of the sort. Tank contents always come out of the tank when it's being emptied but the toilet itself will fill with liquid and no matter what I do won't go down. In fact it seems to be rising a little each day. I'm stationary and don't own a truck otherwise I'd go empty and clean the tank. Perhaps it's time to buy a portable tank in case of an emergency...
Old 06-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #15
Lee
Weekend Camper

Here's a photo of the vent on the roof, now I will figure out the right way to open it and do more investigating...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_3410667255851872.jpg (122.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #16
Site Team

There is more than likely a screw holding that cap onto the PVC pipe underneath it.
Try looking under the over lapping part of that cap. If you don't see anything there, take that gob of black stuff off that's on the cap. They usually have a screw holding them on. Once that's out it's just a simple matter of pulling it off.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:17 PM   #17
Lee
Weekend Camper

Ok thanks!
Old 07-01-2023, 09:37 AM   #18
Site Team

Once you get the cap off, stick a garden hose in the top and turn on the water. If the pipe/stack is plugged, it will come out the top of the pipe/stack. If the pipe/stack is not plugged it should run into the tank.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Once you get the cap off, stick a garden hose in the top and turn on the water. If the pipe/stack is plugged, it will come out the top of the pipe/stack. If the pipe/stack is not plugged it should run into the tank.
Good advice! Let us know the outcome.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air vent, black tank, clogging, pyramid, roof vent

« Tire | Switch panel »