Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

EZLube

So getting ready for our big trip out west. I'm out of time and can't pull the wheels and do the bearing lube job the "right" way before we leave and the trailer is only a year old and put 1,600 miles on it last year towing.

I've always pulled the hub, so if anyone have any recommendations on using the ezlube without squirting grease up in the hub and brakes? any video links or instructions are welcome.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have done this before and it works....bring the gun with you and after hubs warm up , shoot 2 shots of grease in . That pushes warm grease ,that is already in the axle to the rear ,and not enough to blow the seal. do it again later on in the day and you are good for the rear bearings. The front bearings can be accessed by taking the nut off and bearing out then returning back,with new cotter pin. No need to the wheel or hub off.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Great advice,

but I thought the whole idea of the ezLube setup is so I don't have to pull the tire and/or disassemble the hub?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have done this before and it works....bring the gun with you and after hubs warm up , shoot 2 shots of grease in . That pushes warm grease ,that is already in the axle to the rear ,and not enough to blow the seal. do it again later on in the day and you are good for the rear bearings. The front bearings can be accessed by taking the nut off and bearing out then returning back,with new cotter pin. No need to the wheel or hub off.
I think you lost some of us when referring to the front bearing, if I'm going to the trouble of removing cotter pins & castle nuts I'll just tear into it & pack the bearings.
As to using the ez lube, I'd pass, with only 1600 miles I'd just wait til I got back & then pack them. Just my .02 cents.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I think you lost some of us when referring to the front bearing
He was calling the inner bearing the rear bearing and the outer bearing the front bearing.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

X2 on Travelin Texans and DavisK. I think I'll wait. BTW. My vaca is around 5200 miles R/T. Should be ready when we get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #7
Site Team

You are a braver man then me.
I know I could never take off on a trip of that length not knowing what it looked like inside those drums.
Lippert and Cross Roads don't have the best track record for QC.

For me, it would be worth it ----just for the peace of mind.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

To verify...my answer was to OP's stating he "didnt have time" and front or outer bearing is accessed with out taking wheel or hub off. To get at rear or inner bearing requires wheel and hub be taken off and bearing and seal knocked out. sorry for confusion.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
To verify...my answer was to OP's stating he "didnt have time" and front or outer bearing is accessed with out taking wheel or hub off. To get at rear or inner bearing requires wheel and hub be taken off and bearing and seal knocked out. sorry for confusion.

\
So we're all agreeing the ezlube doesn't push grease back out to the outer bearing??

again, seems to defeat the purpose. maybe I'll take a day off work to do this

Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

ez lube will push grease out the outer brg (it is supposed to), but will also push some thru the seal and infect the brakes. This has happened to lots ...that is why I was suggesting the 2 shot only when the axle is warm. That will just be enough to add some to the inner brg.
My original dealer pumped the grease thru to the outer and wrecked the brakes at the same time. of course they denied ,so are not my dealer anymore.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Looks like I'm burning a vaca day to pull the wheels/hubs and do this right.

I agree, As long as I am breathing and upright, I'm going to do as much work myself on my trailer not to save money, rather to not add another variable of having the RV dealership screw something up. That's coming from over 10 years or RV ownership experience. Not a good track record, but maybe I am just unlucky.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

If you read the EZ lube instructions it says to pump until you see fresh grease coming around the castle nut on the outer bearing, which might work if you have good seals, pump slowly, spin wheel while pumping, but my brakes were contaminated from the factory so apparently they dont follow their own procedure. I won't use the EZ lube even a couple pumps & I have good seals.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I put 5,000 to 6,000 miles on my cruiser with EZ Lube axles (18,000+ miles total towing) and every spring I jack up each wheel and spin it while greasing until the front bearing pushes out grease. No play and spins smooth - always check for play. Always check for heat by hand every time I break while towing. Been in 55 degreee to 110 degree heat at 70mph and no issues so far. I do agree with repacking properly but that for me is an every four year job if maintained well in between. Wheels have never been submerged and my trailer is stored indoors at 66 degrees in the winter so it is less exposed to the winter elements. I also live in a dry climate which helps too.

Everyone's experience is different. To the OP, suggest you jack up each wheel and EZ lube them prior to your trip. But always check for a wheel heating every time you stop to be safe and get ahead of a possible problem. I have to remove my wheels to get it in and out of the shop each year (long story) so I'm able to check the rest of the assembly well twice a year.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

While we're talking bearings, what grease do you pump into the fitting? My understanding is lithium grease is installed at the factory and you don't want to mix grease types. I go back to the days when bearing grease was the consistency of peanut butter and could not be pumped so I find the thin modern stuff a little disconcerting.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
I put 5,000 to 6,000 miles on my cruiser with EZ Lube axles (18,000+ miles total towing) and every spring I jack up each wheel and spin it while greasing until the front bearing pushes out grease. No play and spins smooth - always check for play. Always check for heat by hand every time I break while towing. Been in 55 degreee to 110 degree heat at 70mph and no issues so far. I do agree with repacking properly but that for me is an every four year job if maintained well in between. Wheels have never been submerged and my trailer is stored indoors at 66 degrees in the winter so it is less exposed to the winter elements. I also live in a dry climate which helps too.

Everyone's experience is different. To the OP, suggest you jack up each wheel and EZ lube them prior to your trip. But always check for a wheel heating every time you stop to be safe and get ahead of a possible problem. I have to remove my wheels to get it in and out of the shop each year (long story) so I'm able to check the rest of the assembly well twice a year.
You must have been the only trailer that didn't get the cheap a## Chinese seals or your brakes would be contaminated long ago.
Glad yours works, but the majority either blew the seals at the factory or the 1st time they used their EZ lube.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You must have been the only trailer that didn't get the cheap a## Chinese seals or your brakes would be contaminated long ago.
Glad yours works, but the majority either blew the seals at the factory or the 1st time they used their EZ lube.
He's not the only one. I lube my EZ lube bearings every year. Off of the ground, turn the wheels while pumping SLOWLY BY HAND (no air-powered grease gun). I pump about 1/2 tube of grease until new grease comes out the front, just like in their video. No problems. Note; the first time, you will pump a LOT until it comes out the front. Because, despite the EZ lube set up, the bearings are only hand-packed at the factory. So there is nothing but air in the middle.
I am convinced that all the bad press comes from some people pumping grease at high pressure and thus blowing out the seals.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
He's not the only one. I lube my EZ lube bearings every year. Off of the ground, turn the wheels while pumping SLOWLY BY HAND (no air-powered grease gun). I pump about 1/2 tube of grease until new grease comes out the front, just like in their video. No problems. Note; the first time, you will pump a LOT until it comes out the front. Because, despite the EZ lube set up, the bearings are only hand-packed at the factory. So there is nothing but air in the middle.
I am convinced that all the bad press comes from some people pumping grease at high pressure and thus blowing out the seals.
I must 2nd this. Pretty much right on.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I'm with Travelin Texans, you could Jack it up quick and grab the wheels give them a shake and see if there's any play. If there's play you should repack them, I think you'll be fine.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
Gone Traveling

Even the knuckleheads at the factory surely got enough grease on the bearings to last more than 1600 miles, if anything there's so much it's coming out the back.
We tow 10-12k a year & I hand pack mine every fall & other than the bad seals/contaminated brakes the first time (not my fault) have had no bearing problems.
Those of you that have good luck with your EZ lube that's great & keep using it, but I will never stick a grease gun to it, not even for a couple squirts. Just my .02 cents!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Lubed and on the road. Thanks for everyone's help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk