Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #281
Full Time Camper

Ditto on my roof.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #282
Family Vacation Member

Same when I bought my new house, I didn't have to go to the furnacemanufacturer to get it fixed when it conked out I phone the contractor that built the house. Same when the garage door opener broke and a window leaked.

New cars, bikes, snowmobiles, etc so this concept Tom has explained really tells us that the Company was less than truthful up front when stating their warranties.

At the end of the day the dealers that care will ensure the unitthey sold to their customers are keeping them happy or they won't be in business long. Too bad unscrupulus company execs let the small businessmen and women pay for theirdeficiencies...... !

Said if before and I"m saying it again Bad Business Practice!

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #283
Weekend Camper

This is how RV manufacturer's policies work. This isn't the car industry. RV dealers are not franchises.Apparently very few people read their owners manual that states it's a two year limited warranty. It's written in every owners manual.

We inherited the 2+5 Limited Warranty and we felt we could do better for our owners. Hence the new 1 Year Warranty, 12 Point Promise and the Owners Care Kit. The vendors who cover their products longer than one year - the extended warranty they offer still applies. . We haven't taken anything away - we just made it clearly our responsibility to take care of it. As it should be - because after all - we build it. Exactly what you the buying public is telling us to do. Stand behind our product and make it easy for you or your dealer to get answers and products quickly.If your dealer takes forever to fix something - often in the past nobody knew who was responsible so it would get lost - this new policy makes it clear CrossRoads is responsible and the dealer has to make only one call to get it handled.

The roof question is a great one. I was given this info from service. I will check tomorrow and give an update on my findings - it was my understanding the warranty was 12 Years Limited Warranty as well. I believe you are right on that.

I'm sure we will talk soon.

Thanks,

Tom Montague

GM CrossRoads & Redwood RV

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #284
Family Vacation Member

I read the warranty comparison with an open mind. Here is my take;

The accessories all have different warranties and that is understood. Like boats they generally are equiped with the same manufactured accessories. However, the structure is usually what separates the amatuers from the professionals.
I had thought the 2 year downgrade to 1 year was a big deal.
However, the 5 year to 1 year on the structure is a major in my opinion. Sorry but I will enjoy our Cruiser until we replace it.

Thank-you for clarifying your old and new warranty......
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #285
Family Vacation Member

Wow sothe buying public have been lied too for years by the RV manufactures and in particular those offeringsupposedly better warranty coverages were in fact offering nothing the others weren't offering.

So I stand by my statements: That is Bad Business Practice and must be right on edge of if not in the realm of criminal false advertising.....

Hmmm here is the car our company makes with a 20 year limited warranty that is really only one year..................

So how long does the Company plan on being in business ? or for that matter the industry as a whole if this is how they are going to treat their customers.....

I bought the Crossroads CruiserPatriot based on the good things I read on this forum and others, the word of my dealer and the understanding that this Company went above and beyond when it came to quality andcustomer satisfaction. When they backed all that by having what I believed to be a 2 & 5 warranty I slapped down my money.

Now I find out I was lied too and in reality nothing is any better than anything else.......

Thankfully my dealer in Owen Sound Ontario, Canada are above most and I know they will do what is required to keep me happy, I've bought at least 5 units off them and 3 new ones in 5 years.... all the others where Cougars.......... really wishing I would have saved the 20 grand difference now as obviously I did not get what I thought I was paying for !

Baddd Business ! You continue to pitch your sale Tom, this is one customer thatwon't be back and Im still early on in my 50's so I will likely buy at least two more new units....

Good job ......................!

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #286
Weekend Camper

Again - read your owners manual. Your warranty is clearly stated in your booklet that came with the coach. This wasn't " our " business practice. We inherited it. We didn't like it so we came out with a warranty that is better all around. As for going the extra mile - of course we look at each claim individually. If someone has a reoccurring issue and the warranty runs out - chances are we are still going to cover it.That's what CrossRoads is famous for and why we have an excellent service reputation. This isn't going to change either - we are trying to seperate ourselves in a good way.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #287
Family Vacation Member

I guess upon reflection the good thing in all this is Crossroads is coming clean on the falacy that was being sold to their customers (including me) in the past.

So I guess the question I have now is where does that leave those of us that bought a new 2013 prior to the September change....?

We have some structural on some stuff but not other stuff, we have limited warranty on some stuff but not other stuff...........?

I still don't know if the unit still leaks like a sieve when I tow it in the rain, whether the slide motors are going to crap out again, the bathroom shower door is going to fall off again, the big trim piece above the couch is going to come crashing down again and land on someone or if the paint job I paid for is going to continue to peel off further....?

Hmmmmm .................oh yeah this was supposed to be a quality built unit that I paid considerably more for than the Cougars I had no issues with......!

At this point I don't know what the heck I'm covered for.........

At least it looks pretty ! Well the side the paint ain't peeling off does anyway....

2013 CF345RF Provincial

2006 GMC Dura Max Diesel
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #288
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Tom,
I have a good dealer and being in business for over 40 years I have learned to trust people until they give me a reason to not trust them. I will keep a good eye on my unit next year, and will be bringing it to Shipshewana for its 1 year anniversary checkup. I will have everything well documented at the factory and will trust that whatever is found will be fixed. I will continue on this path until someone gives me a reason not to.

thanks for your help,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #289
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

Seems like Tom is having trouble ,finding people to believe alot less is really alot more ! LOL
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #290
Full Time Camper

Tom, you keep saying we inherited the 2 + 5 warranty as if you are with a new company that just took over, or bought Crossroads. Unless I missed something, Crossroads is still the same company I started doing business with in 2006. You and others are just new management that has been brought in by Thor to reshape the company and increase the profit margin by doing things like this. I hope it works out well for the employees of Crossroads, but I have my doubts.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
Old 10-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #291
Full Time Camper

Tom-
What I see here is a disappointment. You had an opportunity to take this company and improve it. I see a major decrease in warranty with roof, wall and floor construction which is a major component of the warranty. If what you say about the claims is true than dropping it from 5yrs to 1yrs was a mistake because of the perception it creates with your clientele. If you came on here and said our new 1 yr warranty was the same thing just more honest you would have had a better response. I don't see anything on here that isn't what one would already have expected in a warranty as a baseline.

As to talking about the definition of the 2+5 warranty being in the owners manual, that is something you obtain after purchasing not before. Your dealers sell these trailers as a 2yr bumper to bumper warranty. Mine did it, others on here state the same thing. There is a giant sticker on the trailer that sold the warranty and see it does state a 2 yr limited warranty but its implications are this is provided by crossroads. I see this as false advertisement especially since crossroads didn't specifically offer the second year of warranty on those items. I am sure if anybody had any trouble getting these items covered that a call to a consumer protection agency would get that straightened out. While I am still very unimpressed with the new warranty, I am at least glad that it is more honest. I can still say, I am not recommending crossroads any further because I feel they are not an honest company. While I haven't yet had any trouble getting items fixed, it was all little things in my first year. We will see what this mold issue holds for us as we are getting ready to finish our second year out in Jan. Thank you for posting the comparison as it was at least very enlightening.

Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #292
Full Time Camper

Folks, I am not even going to comment on Tom's comparison. You put makeup
on a pig you still have a pig. They are not going to change anything and feel
like their way is the wave of the future. Get out and let people know the way
you feel on all the different RV forums available on the Internet and hurt their sales.
There will always be people out there that buy something because they think it
is pretty but most people now days do their homework and research before buying
which means checking out different forums. I continue to say, word of mouth and the Internet can make or break a company in today's world.

Why would you buy a Crossroads when you could buy a KZ or Jayco which both have a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and they are not having the quality issues Crossroads is
right now. I thinkForest River even offers a second year on their warranty for less than $200. Look at the owners on this forum having issues getting warranty work done by their dealers. To make the new Promise work Crossroads is banking on these same dealers that are sub-par now. The Don and Tom show are going to do what they want to do and it is obvious from Tom's post here that they are not going to listen to anything their current customers are telling them or have to offer. I do feel sorry for those people on here that have purchased after 10/1 because they will be the test bed for the new 1+Promise warranty.

They are trying to get everyone to buy into the "New Crossroads" but they can't even keep the spam off the forum on a daily basis and promised a month ago the completely ridiculous web site would change. As I said in a post a couple of pages back,,

"when they cut their warranty in half, the reason is simple .... they are having more claims than they can financially handle .... when a company builds a loyal customer base via producing and backing good products, they have a tough time holding onto those customers when the quality/support goes down."

All you have to do is read the post on the forum of quality issues and a year ago you did not see the number and volume you do today on here. And these are only the ones we know of because they are posted here. The warranty claims are eating into profits and something had to go, the second year on the warranty. If you feel so strongly about how much better your 1+Promise is for the customer let's see you do it to the Redwood line.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #293
Weekend Camper

A big part of the sales pitch from my dealer was pointing out how much the various items cost to replace each component, and why the 2+5 warranty was so good, making me want to buy the trailer.

What you are saying is that I was lied to about something else in this whole sales process?

And as anaro pointed out, the manual, along with EVERYTHING else is only given to you AFTER you purchase. So you are really in a position where you have to rely on the sales people.

Either they are lying or your company didn't properly train them. I've been down this road and am still trying to get an issue sorted. It's the blame game. Dealer says CR is responsible for sales staff training. CR says Dealer is at fault.

And the customer who just shelled out $30k for a brand new unit can't even get an appointment at a dealership for another 4 months thanks to everyone sidelining and/or dismissing my issue.

Oh well. I guess when my roof vents REALLY start leaking while the trailer is sitting in storage waiting for the February appointment, there will just be more bill added to CR.

There seems to be a lack of caring, so I'm finding, and it feels pretty crappy.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #294
Weekend Camper

What did they find with your brakes? I'm a long time RV'er, I just picked up a 345rf in FL and on my way to SC my truck 2012 Ram keeps throwing a warning check trailer brake wiring. I towed my trade down with no issues it was a 2012 cruiser 5er also. I tow with the truck all the time no issues. I check the plug even cleaned the plug, it seems very randon and intermitant. I'm afraind to leave it anywhere to have them work on it.

Most these kids at the dealers wouldn't know where to beging to trace a wiring issue.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #295
Full Time Camper

Brian -- If you were asking me. I took the 5er to a trailer shop, and they said I had a couple of wires grounding out on the brake backing plate. This is on a 305SK the first time I towed it home.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #296
Weekend Camper

We just purchased our camper this past March,Ours was underthe 2+5 year warranty. That is what cemented our decision to choose the crossroads cruiser. Had the warranty been what it is now, I don't know that we would have gone with the cruiser. We thought that is what set the brand apart from the rest. Wow, if they can put up this kind of warranty, they must be manufacturing a quality product. We have had no problems during the camping season, but did notice the slide room was not square in it's opening, towards the end of the season. We have a terrific dealer, who has handled all of the dealing with crossroads. Just got a call crossroads is sending the parts for the fix and has sent pictures to them of what the fix will look like. I can't complain about how we've been treated. There has not been any hassle. Thank goodness we have the 2+5 it does bring peace of mind.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #297
Weekend Camper

sleepyT, yes sorry I was asking you. Were the wire inside the drums? Mine is very intermitent, as we drive and seemed to do it less through the trip. My Dodge dealer said exactly what your dealer came up with wires grounding out somewhere.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #298
Full Time Camper

Brian --- Yes the short was inside the assembly. I got under the camper and could not see anything wrong with the wireing on the outside of the brakes.I have a Prodigy brake controler. When I was not pushing down on the brake pedal the prodigy gave me a code of ( S.H ) which means brake wire sees short during idle condition. When I would press down on the brake pedal I would get a code ( O.L ) Prodigy sees an overlosd condition durning operation. Is your controler giving you any codes?
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #299
Weekend Camper

ok here it is. today we picked up a new sunset trail 32fr. i was the guy who was looking when they had the 2+5. but when i went to buy it was the 1 year 12 point plan.

now i told the dealer i was not happy about that. (Grumbines rv center Harrisburg, PA.)

1.They told me they inspect any new rv and if they are not happy they send it back. and they have.with that they never had a crossroads come back.

2.They gave me a 84 mouth bumper to bumper.(Grumbines)

3.If i am 400 miles away. for 90 dollors they will come to me.

4.Are we Happy YES. how could you not be.

Bottom line look for the right dealer, thanks Grumbines.

thanks steve
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #300
Full Time Camper

Got it all in writing?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
Closed Thread