Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been reading a lot online. I've narrowed it down to the pro series wd and friction sway control. What are your thoughts?

My tw is 560 (from manufacturer) the kit is good for 550 to 750 tw. Do you think i would ever go over the 750 tw maxium?

What about friction sway bars and not allowing backing up? Any backing up or serious jacknife backing up?

My camper is 27 feet, do i need more than 1 sway bar?
Fstfrd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

That 560 # is dry . So add propane ,batteries ,anything stored in the front compartment and really anything stored ahead of the axles. Bet you will be closer to 850 . Get a 1000# set of bars . As to the friction sway . It does not know if you are going forward or reverse. Just do not jack knife it real far . When you get to campground ,just loosen it . When I had one ,that is all I did .
I got tired of the friction sway and went with an Equ I zer 4 point sway control set. Love it .

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
1997 Lance SL 185 Truck Camper (for Yukon/Alaska NWT trip for 2015)
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I was thinking of just going with the 1000 lb but i was reading that if i went too high that it would be too stiff and make the camper bounce. Any thought on that?
Old 08-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Opinions on the pro series brand?

Or husky brand?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I'm not a fan of those clamp down anti sway devices. They work but not as well as other friction or cam type devices.

Like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...rt/C17500.html
2015 ST270BH
http://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Yes, too strong a bar causes a rigid bounce. Do you have a truck scale near you? You can weigh it there.
2015 ST270BH
http://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Not a fan of the friction models, had one for many years when I had a 17' hybrid. As the unit was so small it worked for the most part. Noisy and was usually a good idea to loosen or remove when backing up while turning.

As mentioned, I have the Husky Center Line with my 29' rig. I've had 18 wheelers pass me at quite high speeds and while I feel them there my rig doesn't sway. I've done 75+ downhill from the mountains and felt very comfortable (usually I'm in the 65-70 range depending on the limit). I've had serious blustery sidewinds and again, no sway or fight to keep it all straight. The only drawback is the having it all pretty straight to hitch and un-hitch. Oh and the weight of the whole thing!!

I would recommend that if you're not going with the ProPride or HA for monetary reasons, then check out the Husky. After that I'd consider some of the other options forum members recommend. But like tires, your hitch is a very important part of you getting to your destination and home again safely and in one piece, so don't get something you're not confident or comfortable with.

I have a friend who won't go more that 30-45 minutes from home or on the Interstate because he hates the sway his 26' with his Ford Expedition exhibits. He had no WDH and was using a single friction bar. I believe he now has WDH, but still uses the single friction with only a slight (perceived?) change. If he really wanted to go further away I guess he'd consider upgrading, but if all he wants to do is take the family down the road to local campgrounds then he's mostly ok.
P2 Controller
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thank you all.. I've purchased the husky cl kit...1000 lb tw. Through all my reading and videos i think this is the best for me at this time. I will keep you updated on my choice!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:46 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

I have the husky cl installed. Nice piece. Took it for a test ride and can def feel a difference. How will the brackets look after a year of the weight dustribution bars rubbing on them? Metal to metal seems odd.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:24 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstfrd01 View Post
I have the husky cl installed. Nice piece. Took it for a test ride and can def feel a difference. How will the brackets look after a year of the weight dustribution bars rubbing on them? Metal to metal seems odd.
I put a dab of the same grease that I use on the tow ball around the 'U' shaped piece on the A-frame where the bar slides back and forth, as well as a small drop on the underside of the small metal upside down 'L' shaped retainer. This has minimized any noise and wear/tear on the bars. I have approaching 10k miles on mine and there's nothing to show for it!!
P2 Controller
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote