Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tow Vehicle

Hello, I decided to buy the RV that I wanted, which is a 2018 Sunset Trail 291RK. Now I am looking for a truck to tow it. So I am looking for any recommendations from the experienced folks here. Thanks In advance!!
benzesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Wow! Did you just open up a big ole can of worms with that question! Let the war begin!
For towing nothing is better than a newer model diesel, they've got exhaust brakes, tow/haul which aids in downhill also, lots of power, & most get better mpg towing than a gasser. Some say the maintenance on a diesel is much more, but having one as a daily driver for that last 13 years I haven't noticed much difference.
Another plus for diesel is refueling, you'll get into any truck stop for diesel, can also get DEF at pump there, but with a longer trailer it could be a bit of a hassle to get into/out of a lot of gas stations.
As for the make, I'm not starting the war other than to say, I've got my couple favorites & one I would never own, you'll have choose what best suits your needs.
Just my .02 cents.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

For what it's worth - I pull my Sunset Trail 29RL with a Ford F250 gasser and have never had a problem doing the speed limit.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Ford F250 or Chevrolet 2500HD

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I've been pulling a 40 ft fifthwheel with a gas F-250 for 4yrs now and never felt like I need more power or torque. I've never had any problems at the pumps,may just have to wait a few minutes for someone to fill up there car probably faster then waiting on a big truck to fill up with 300 gallons. My fifthwheel weight is 14,175 pounds,and I get between 8-10 mpg towing.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I have a 30' Sunstet Trail that weighs 6800 empty. We pull it with an 2015 F-150 ecoboost 3.5L Plenty of power, however, on windy days we get a little nervous towing on the expressway and slow down to 55 for safety measures. I also have a 2010 F-150 and am going to be upgrading soon to an F-250 gasser for being heavier and more stable. All the diesel fan boys are going to say get a diesel, it's awesome.

They are right. However, most these days are fearful of the day their warranty runs out on the newer ones because they are VERY costly to fix vs. the gas counter part with all the new diesel emissions components. Just my 2 cents. But I'll grab my popcorn now, and maybe an ice pack because I'm sure someone's going to beat on me for my statements a bit.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
I've been pulling a 40 ft fifthwheel with a gas F-250 for 4yrs now and never felt like I need more power or torque. I've never had any problems at the pumps,may just have to wait a few minutes for someone to fill up there car probably faster then waiting on a big truck to fill up with 300 gallons. My fifthwheel weight is 14,175 pounds,and I get between 8-10 mpg towing.

You must have the 4.30 gear set then for your rear axle as max trailer weight I believer on the ford gasser is around 12,500 with the 3.73. I'm curious what kind of mpg do you get unloaded both around town, and highway? I'm debating on ordering the 4.30 instead of the 3.73 but think it may be overkill for mostly pulling in the Midwest.

-Tim

Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesWIU View Post
You must have the 4.30 gear set then for your rear axle as max trailer weight I believer on the ford gasser is around 12,500 with the 3.73. I'm curious what kind of mpg do you get unloaded both around town, and highway? I'm debating on ordering the 4.30 instead of the 3.73 but think it may be overkill for mostly pulling in the Midwest.
Yes sir, I ordered mine with a 4.30 rear axle,gives me a 15,100 tow rating. Knowing I could get a 5er with a GVWR of 16,000,we pack light taking only what we need after a few years you know what you use and what you don't. I get around 15-18 mpg solo. I read somewhere the difference between 3.73 and 4.30 is 1.6 mpg.

The biG difference between gas and diesel is payload a f-250 diesel run between 1100-2200 depending on set up. A gas 250 can get up in the mid 3000s. Like you said owning a diesel comes with a cost much greater then gas.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Quote:
I have a 30' Sunstet Trail that weighs 6800 empty. We pull it with an 2015 F-150 ecoboost 3.5L Plenty of power, however, on windy days we get a little nervous towing on the expressway and slow down to 55 for safety measures. I also have a 2010 F-150 and am going to be upgrading soon to an F-250 gasser for being heavier and more stable. All the diesel fan boys are going to say get a diesel, it's awesome.

They are right. However, most these days are fearful of the day their warranty runs out on the newer ones because they are VERY costly to fix vs. the gas counter part with all the new diesel emissions components. Just my 2 cents. But I'll grab my popcorn now, and maybe an ice pack because I'm sure someone's going to beat on me for my statements a bit.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm 10k short of putting 300k (close to 1/2 of that towing heavy 5ers) on 2 diesel daily drivers & have not noticed where all the expensive maintenance is coming from other than diesel cost 8-10 cents a gallon (excluding truck stops) more than gas.
You'll chose what you want/need as you should, but the maintenance theory doesn't hold water in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

I think I will weigh in here now.
Tim, if you have the correct hitch and it's set up correctly, I can't imagine that you are feeling the wind shift you around to the point that it gives that white knuckle experience.
I have talked with numerous people who tow with either the Hensley, or Pro-Pride hitch, and they say they hardly know the camper is back there. I have known a couple of then personally.
If your f-150 Eco-Boost is set up like mine is, you should have more truck there then is required for your camper.
I had a 2500 Duramax which I replaced with my present ECO-Boost. This truck is every bit as heavy and big (if not bigger then my old Chevy. It handles my camper just as well.

Now, diesels do cost more to fix. It's a known fact.
They cost more to begin with when you purchase one. Several thousand dollars more. Even some of the most unscrupulous salesmen out there are usually willing to admit to that fact.

Oil changes cost more, fuel filters cost more, and if things haven't changed since I had mine, that fuel filter is very expensive in my view. Ask anybody who has had to change the injectors on their diesel how much it cost them.

Diesel fuel in our area is not 8 to 10 cents a gallon more. It's 40 cents per gallon more. You will have to drive that diesel a long time to ever break even over the extra it will cost you..
The new gas engines will run as long as most people will ever own their new truck. The oils they have out now days are so superior to what was on the markets years back. With proper maintenance, they will rival the longevity of most diesel pick ups.

Plus, I will add, they will do it without the noxious odor emitted by that diesel. I know I know, they will say the new diesel doesn't stink like that any more. My answer to that is—just get behind one when he is pulling his camper up a pretty good grade, or when he steps it to the floor to pass somebody.

Bottom line is—you are the one buying that new truck, get what you want!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I'm 10k short of putting 300k (close to 1/2 of that towing heavy 5ers) on 2 diesel daily drivers & have not noticed where all the expensive maintenance is coming from other than diesel cost 8-10 cents a gallon (excluding truck stops) more than gas.
You'll chose what you want/need as you should, but the maintenance theory doesn't hold water in my opinion.
I have to call foul, you can't say that going through the truck lanes for fuel and urea is a pro to owning a diesel, then exclude truck stops because fuel costs more there. Just saying
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Tim, if you have the correct hitch and it's set up correctly, I can't imagine that you are feeling the wind shift you around to the point that it gives that white knuckle experience.
I have talked with numerous people who tow with either the Hensley, or Pro-Pride hitch, and they say they hardly know the camper is back there. I have known a couple of then personally.
If your f-150 Eco-Boost is set up like mine is, you should have more truck there then is required for your camper.
I had a 2500 Duramax which I replaced with my present ECO-Boost. This truck is every bit as heavy and big (if not bigger then my old Chevy. It handles my camper just as well.

Now, diesels do cost more to fix. It's a known fact.
They cost more to begin with when you purchase one. Several thousand dollars more. Even some of the most unscrupulous salesmen out there are usually willing to admit to that fact.

Oil changes cost more, fuel filters cost more, and if things haven't changed since I had mine, that fuel filter is very expensive in my view. Ask anybody who has had to change the injectors on their diesel how much it cost them.

Diesel fuel in our area is not 8 to 10 cents a gallon more. It's 40 cents per gallon more. You will have to drive that diesel a long time to ever break even over the extra it will cost you..
The new gas engines will run as long as most people will ever own their new truck. The oils they have out now days are so superior to what was on the markets years back. With proper maintenance, they will rival the longevity of most diesel pick ups.

Plus, I will add, they will do it without the noxious odor emitted by that diesel. I know I know, they will say the new diesel doesn't stink like that any more. My answer to that is—just get behind one when he is pulling his camper up a pretty good grade, or when he steps it to the floor to pass somebody.

Bottom line is—you are the one buying that new truck, get what you want!
Well said, but you missed add expenses of urea and he said he lives in the Midwest which means the add expense of fuel addivides in the winter. Diesel fuel here is $3.11 and regular unleaded is $2.37. I used a Hensley Arrow for 4yrs would never pulled another tt without one.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Very well stated Lloyd. I had a 2009 Ford F-250 with the 6.4L diesel which was a very nice truck. One other thing to consider is the dpf (diesel particulate filter) in the exhaust system. When the dpf goes into the regen mode you need to keep driving until the regen cycle is completed. For me this seemed to happen at the most inconvenient times like just before pulling into a campground while towing the camper or just before arriving home and end up driving around until the regen cycle is completely finished. I’m not bashing diesels, there’s plenty of positives to them. I now have a Ford F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and am very happy with it and have no complaints while towing what so ever. Do your research, look at them all and get what you are comfortable with.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

I'm not trying to convince anyone to "buy" a diesel! Personally could care less what anyone drives but myself.
Just filled up yesterday, $2.59 for diesel, $2.47 for regular, not at a truck stop which I don't do unless absolutely necessary.
Also the last time I was behind a gasser struggling up the hill their exhaust smelled like rotten eggs from their red hot catalytic converter.
I will holler foul that a V6 (any make) & some V8s (any make) consistently towing a rv will last as long as a diesel towing the same rv ain't happening or OTR trucks would be running gas engines.
I will agree there are "pros" & "cons" to both, but with the 5ers I've had I'm glad I chose the diesel even with all the "expensive maintenance"!!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I traded in my 2012 F250 gasser for a 2017 Diesel dually 2 months ago. My 40' 5r was 11200 dry. Add the 1000 to 1500 pounds of "stuff" loaded and I was always on the hairy edge. On long runs, I hated the engine whining in 2nd and 3rd gear on steep longer inclines. Also, whenever any water was loaded in it, you absolutely knew it.

I'm looking forward to pulling the trailer around with the new rig this year!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
..... the engine whining in 2nd and 3rd gear on steep longer inclines.
I'm looking forward to pulling the trailer around with the new rig this year!

I too owned both and slight maint diff aside (more often for gasser, more $ for deezle) the noise factor from the gasser working so hard was the most significant immediate diff !

now have the best of both worlds - big diesel pusher
Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone to "buy" a diesel! Personally could care less what anyone drives but myself.
Just filled up yesterday, $2.59 for diesel, $2.47 for regular, not at a truck stop which I don't do unless absolutely necessary.
Also the last time I was behind a gasser struggling up the hill their exhaust smelled like rotten eggs from their red hot catalytic converter.
I will holler foul that a V6 (any make) & some V8s (any make) consistently towing a rv will last as long as a diesel towing the same rv ain't happening or OTR trucks would be running gas engines.
I will agree there are "pros" & "cons" to both, but with the 5ers I've had I'm glad I chose the diesel even with all the "expensive maintenance"!!

I’m sorry. I have to apologize. I guess I’m totally missing your point.
First you tell us the maintenance theory on a diesel doesn't hold water. Then you tell us you are glad you chose the diesel even with the high maintenance cost.???
I know, and I’m sure everyone else does, that you are not trying to talk the OP into buying a diesel.
As far as you hollering foul about the longevity of the V6 or the V8 gas engine when towing. I don’t think that was even mentioned before you brought it up.
I will say tho, if you only put 300k on two diesel trucks and only half of that mileage was towing, that’s not to impressive. Many OTR rigs actually rack up many hundreds of thousands of miles. Many go well over a million. I think any gas rig could manage 75k towing the appropriate sized trailer without needing to be replaced.
Also, it seems to me that most of the auto manufactures have gotten the rotten egg smell from the exhaust under control. I have not noticed to many lately. Most of that was in years gone by. My cousin had a new Chevy back in the 90’s that was absolutely horrible. I have recently noticed a couple of the foreign models that were pretty stout when they passed me. Maybe I just haven’t been out on the road enough to fully observe more.

I have been around diesel engines in tractors, stationary units, semi’s and pickups just about my whole adult life. Consequently I don’t get caught up so readily in the hype and romance of owning or anything related to diesel. They have there place, but right at this point in time, that isn’t in my garage.

Again, I apologize for my lack of ability to understand.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

Lloyd,

I have meticulously tweaked my WD sway control setup. But I'm not talking about normal sway, I'm talking about 15mph direct crosswinds that gust to 25-30mph around me on summer days. It's not sway it's "push". And at those wind speeds, a 5,000lb truck vs 8,000 camper that is a huge sail requires me to slow down to 55 when the wind is that much to make it a more pleasant experience. a heavier truck like a 3/4 ton would allow for a more comfortable experience at a higher speed. That's all I'm sayin. I love this truck for the power and fuel efficiency, just on some days, when the wind is gusting, wish it was a little heavier if I'm on the expressway. Cheers! =)

-Tim

Old 02-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Now kids play nice
Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Lloyd,

I have meticulously tweaked my WD sway control setup. But I'm not talking about normal sway, I'm talking about 15mph direct crosswinds that gust to 25-30mph around me on summer days. It's not sway it's "push". And at those wind speeds, a 5,000lb truck vs 8,000 camper that is a huge sail requires me to slow down to 55 when the wind is that much to make it a more pleasant experience. a heavier truck like a 3/4 ton would allow for a more comfortable experience at a higher speed. That's all I'm sayin. I love this truck for the power and fuel efficiency, just on some days, when the wind is gusting, wish it was a little heavier if I'm on the expressway. Cheers! =)

This is reason #1 why I decided to move into a HD truck. The new rig when it arrives will be 7200# with a much longer wheelbase vs our half ton at 5600#. I've experienced those plains winds before and it was not pleasant! Now with the new Ram and the propride hitch, all should be good!

Safe travels to all.
MidOhioHunter is offline   Reply With Quote