Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Towing with a 2019 Discovery 5

I was wondering about towing either a 26 foot travel trailer or a 28 foot travel trailer from either crossroads rv or cruiser rv and was wondering are any of these too long I know the cruiser RV 280QBS is well within my limits for ratings such as payload tongue weight and trailer weight but I'm worried bout the length I know a few discovery owners who tow 32 foot travel trailers so I want some advice here. Wheelbase: 115IN Tow capacity:7700lbs
Old 02-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

You didn't post the year of either RV you are considering. I checked out the RV 280QBS, and called it a 2022.
Below is what the specs are for that unit. With a Wheelbase: 115IN Tow capacity:7700lb, I think you will have more trailer than what your TV should have. I feel positive you will end up being over weight and with that long of a trailer I don't think you will find it comfortable out on the road towing it.

That's just my opinion. Others may have a different one.

GWVR 7,816
DRY WEIGHT 6,288
HITCH WEIGHT 816
CARGO CAPACITY 1,496
WIDTH 8'-3/8"
HEIGHT 10'-11"
LENGTH 31'-11"
Old 02-19-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You didn't post the year of either RV you are considering. I checked out the RV 280QBS, and called it a 2022.
Below is what the specs are for that unit. With a Wheelbase: 115IN Tow capacity:7700lb, I think you will have more trailer than what your TV should have. I feel positive you will end up being over weight and with that long of a trailer I don't think you will find it comfortable out on the road towing it.

That's just my opinion. Others may have a different one.

GWVR 7,816
DRY WEIGHT 6,288
HITCH WEIGHT 816
CARGO CAPACITY 1,496
WIDTH 8'-3/8"
HEIGHT 10'-11"
LENGTH 31'-11"
Yea buddy I know that the 2021 is heavier but I was looking at the 2014 which is lighter in evrway possible
Old 02-19-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Team

If you had posted that at the beginning I wouldn't have looked up the new rig.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:33 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
If you had posted that at the beginning I wouldn't have looked up the new rig.
Sorry man wish I elt you know but how is the length would it be too much for a full size SUV
Old 02-19-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Went and looked up the 2014 specs and yes they are a little lighter but the part that would worry me is 32' behind that short wheelbase. Could be a case of the tail wagging the dog. At the least a very good hitch like a Hensley would be a must. Just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

This is not opinion.. you will exceed payload ratings with anything more than 25', and probably less. Do your homework. Look at the capacities sticker on the driver's door pillar, and compare with the capacities of the travel trailer.
You might be able to pull it, but it will be dangerous and illegal, and a very unpleasant experience.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
This is not opinion.. you will exceed payload ratings with anything more than 25', and probably less. Do your homework. Look at the capacities sticker on the driver's door pillar, and compare with the capacities of the travel trailer.
You might be able to pull it, but it will be dangerous and illegal, and a very unpleasant experience.
The specs seem to be well within my ratings and I had a buddy running the same tow vehicle with the same size trailer with similar specs and they had a good experience even with stopping the trailer and another buddy with the same truck said about the same about his experience too. The disco is pretty capable
Old 02-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
Site Team

It sounds like you have already made up your mind so all I will say is good luck and be careful.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:21 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

First. the GVWR of the vehicle is an absolute maximum. From that you must subtract the vehicle weight, all vehicle payload and options as the base weight is for a no option vehicle - usually substantially underestimated. Include the weights of passengers, dogs, gear, tool boxes, hitch setup, other junk behind the seats, in glove box, and etc. Secondly, the TT GVWR must also include all added weights. Everyone underestimates those as well. Anything you add to the absolute stripped condition of that trailer increases the dry weight. Add propane, water, 8# per gallon for the tank plus whats left in the lines and water heater, clothing, accessories, food, bedding, water hoses, power cord extensions, grill, outdoor stove, chemicals, pots and pans, and so much more. If you truly want to know. You must scale the TV in towing trim. And scale the trailer likewise. That said in an analytical and experiential expose, I agree with Wingerdinger completely. My in-laws lost a 28 footer behind an extended cab 2500 when a Semi passed them on an out of control downhill run and the bow wave flipped them in VA. Not pretty.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
Old 02-20-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Many wouldn’t and you shouldn’t. Way too much of a sail behind a small SUV. As mentioned already it will be the tail wagging the dog.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_LR View Post
The specs seem to be well within my ratings and I had a buddy running the same tow vehicle with the same size trailer with similar specs and they had a good experience ...
I looked some specs on the disco 5 and I'm surprised by how high of the towing specs it's got, especially payload. You seem to be only looking for affirmation, 3 numbers to look for:
- what is your Combined Gross Vehicle Weight on the disco? If you add the trailer (assume close to max weight), 4 people and some 200lbs of cargo will you stay within it? Otherwise your brakes may just give up on you.
- what is your hitch weight capacity? Disco 5 is a unibody if I recall correctly, approx 800lbs on your tongue may simply damage your car. That is a lot of weight even for many 1/2ton trucks with body on frame construction.
- your buddy may be a great driver with plenty of towing experience or simply bullshit you so he doesn't have to admit he bought too long and too much of a trailer. The trailers you mention will sway a lot when exposed to windy conditions, disco will have little wheelbase and little weight to control it. On a nice day you may be happy about it, comes a worse one you may be afraid for your family.

People tow way over what they should every day, most of them survive, some claim they have had a great experience. Please don't end up in the other group.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #13
Site Team

I used to tow a TT with a Chevy TrailBlazer. The TrailBlazer was a true truck, not a glorified car. It was body on frame construction. It weighed 5,000# and had a 129 inch wheelbase. It was great for towing my 15' utility trailer, but not so good for a TT. Would I do it again? Emphatically, "NO!"

Here is a quote from the eTrailer website:
Quote:
I can confirm that the longer wheelbase the truck has, the more stable the truck will be while towing. As a general rule, the vehicle's wheelbase should be at least half of the distance from the center of the trailer's rearmost axle to the center of the coupler.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
Old 02-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugauga View Post
I looked some specs on the disco 5 and I'm surprised by how high of the towing specs it's got, especially payload. You seem to be only looking for affirmation, 3 numbers to look for:
- what is your Combined Gross Vehicle Weight on the disco? If you add the trailer (assume close to max weight), 4 people and some 200lbs of cargo will you stay within it? Otherwise your brakes may just give up on you.
- what is your hitch weight capacity? Disco 5 is a unibody if I recall correctly, approx 800lbs on your tongue may simply damage your car. That is a lot of weight even for many 1/2ton trucks with body on frame construction.
- your buddy may be a great driver with plenty of towing experience or simply bullshit you so he doesn't have to admit he bought too long and too much of a trailer. The trailers you mention will sway a lot when exposed to windy conditions, disco will have little wheelbase and little weight to control it. On a nice day you may be happy about it, comes a worse one you may be afraid for your family.

People tow way over what they should every day, most of them survive, some claim they have had a great experience. Please don't end up in the other group.
my max tongue weight is 770 and the trailer has about 630 on the tongue maybe Ill do a test tow of it before I think about it or ill choose a different travel trailer
Old 02-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

1e51d26d_d295_4388_90bc_ccc4d79a9478_67d0421c2a1a99262763bab951c22fea78720f3b.jpg

This is what somebody on the land rover forums have towed for 1kmiles and he said no issues at all?
Old 02-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #16
Site Team

I will say this about the picture. After blowing it up they are towing with no weight distribution hitch or sway control. There is no squat to the back of the SUV so there is either very little tongue weight or some sort of supplemental suspension aid to level the SUV.

Just from the picture only I would be suspicious if any statements from them.

Not saying it can not be done but it should not be done. With a shorter camper it would be safer but still would need a good weight distribution hitch and sway control.
Closed Thread