Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

removing bed in 5th wheel

Has anyone done this? I'm planning on replacing the carpet in my unit (2013 Rushmore Jefferson) and it seems like replacing the entire piece of carpet in the bedroom would be a lot easier than having to cut the new carpet around the bed to the get the new piece in.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
jschemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have never done this in a 5'er but have in a bumper pull. They are not hard to take apart once the mattress is moved out of the way. Be prepared to add additional bracing and support. Since it is coming out you can make it better upon re-install. Factory box-frames are pretty flimsy.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree getting the mattress out of the way is the biggest problem. Afterwards, take pics as you disassemble the frame and don't expect to save all of the material. I'm not sure what slide mechanism you have, but if the motor is bolted to the floor, I'd just leave it in place and cut the carpet around it. None of this will ever show. Also, you may want to take the opportunity to install better or more rollers under the bed frame. And redesign the bed frame. One problem with factory designs is the hinge for the lift is too close to the wall. The distance should be closer to the mattress thickness, that way the mattress won't be pinched against the wall.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote