Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
New Camper

Considering Living in 5th wheel

We are considering purchasing a Roosevelt and moving from place to place and living in it full time.

Any suggestions from those who are using one.
beliefteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
Beliefteam, I don't know if you're new to camping or if you're considering upgrading to the Roosevelt, you really didn't say. There are many more on here with much more experience than I, but I would suggest you go to a bookstore or Amazon and buy one of the many books that give you insight into what the full-timer faces and what it's all about. If you've made up your mind I wish you the best and hope to see you down the road sometime soon. Best of luck in your decision.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We have full timed in our fifth wheel for five years. We had a Montana Big Sky that was lovely until I managed to put a 13' RV under an 11' railroad bridge. New is good, we moved into a 2013 39' Washington. We wished we had the storage we had in the Big Sky but all that did was help us carry a bunch of junk we did not need anyway. Keep it simple.
We sold our home and only kept what we needed to get by with. You can live with a lot less, in a smaller area, more economically and travel too!
We work camp all over the country and have found it is the lowest cost of living available anywhere.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us. mikeratcliff.dallas@gmail.com
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator447 View Post
Beliefteam, I don't know if you're new to camping or if you're considering upgrading to the Roosevelt, you really didn't say. There are many more on here with much more experience than I, but I would suggest you go to a bookstore or Amazon and buy one of the many books that give you insight into what the full-timer faces and what it's all about. If you've made up your mind I wish you the best and hope to see you down the road sometime soon. Best of luck in your decision.

Travel well,
Jim
That's some great advice!
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

One thing to consider if buying new....
many mfg's will void warranty if full timing and not considered a 'fulltime' unit...

be sure to look into the small print before you sign on the dotted line re warranty.

I would do it in a SECOND, but don't think the DW will !
Old 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We live in ours. Started in Oklahoma and from there went to San Antonio. I work in the oilfield. It's just us and our dog. Got tired of renting apartments and duplexes. We put most of our things in storage and have what we need in the 5th wheel. About the only thing I miss is a large shower and more hot water. Other than that, we love it.
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CF28MKX
Oilfield Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

What is the difference between a full time and part time rig? Quality and price? Does a "full time" rig have a statement or something that approves it for such use?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I'm really not sure other than the things you just mentioned. Mine didn't have a special tag that said full time capable or anything like that. I think as long as you take care of it anything will stand up over time. Enclosed underbelly "basement" is a must for in the Winter. It closes off the bottom of the trailer so that your tanks and plumbing aren't in the weather. They also have a duct coming into the "basement" and sometimes heated tanks (heat strips).
2012 Crossroads Cruiser CF28MKX
Oilfield Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I am looking at the Washington and looking to go fulltime. I was told I have to specify to my insurance company that I am a full-timer and the premium would be higher. At the time of purchase what do you have to do to ensure the warranty will cover you. Would hate to have a new house with no warranty.
travelmyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

TravelMyRoad,
I have had my insurance agent for some time, and he's a personal friend. When I sold my home and told him I was going full-timing he asked where I stored my "important stuff". Past tax returns, important papers, suits and family heirlooms. I told him we built a huge bedroom at our daughter's house in Watertown so that if we flew home for Christmas or other important occasions we'd have a place to stay. So, we put a "renter's" insurance policy, for very little, on their residence in our name. We use it as our mailing address so as far as he's concerned, we are travelling "extensively" and not living in our RV. I liked his thinking and so even though we are in our RV an awful lot (wink-wink) as far as anyone is concerned, we just travel very, very extensively. For what it's worth

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks Jim

Quote:
TravelMyRoad,
I have had my insurance agent for some time, and he's a personal friend. When I sold my home and told him I was going full-timing he asked where I stored my "important stuff". Past tax returns, important papers, suits and family heirlooms. I told him we built a huge bedroom at our daughter's house in Watertown so that if we flew home for Christmas or other important occasions we'd have a place to stay. So, we put a "renter's" insurance policy, for very little, on their residence in our name. We use it as our mailing address so as far as he's concerned, we are travelling "extensively" and not living in our RV. I liked his thinking and so even though we are in our RV an awful lot (wink-wink) as far as anyone is concerned, we just travel very, very extensively. For what it's worth

Travel well,
Jim
Thanks Jim.........

I have sisters in CO and WA and contemplated using one of their address' as a base. But then again I hear there are benefits to using a SD or FL address for tax purposes. I haven't gotten that far yet. The 5er being my home I was just afraid of not being covered, I wasn't sure of the extra cost for a full-time policy, but I'm all about saving money. I would rather use the money to travel than give it to some company.

Tom
www.travelmyroad.com
Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

My State Farm agent just wrote as a side note on my policy. Looking for new home to purchase. That was 5 years ago...still looking...he he he.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramn4ver View Post
My State Farm agent just wrote as a side note on my policy. Looking for new home to purchase. That was 5 years ago...still looking...he he he.

Me Too
Old 04-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
TravelMyRoad,

Travel well,
Jim
That's our story too....and we're sticking to it!

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
New Camper

I am at the same point. Thinking of leasing my big 3-bdrm house to my son and family and buying a 5th to live in. I'm getting lots of push back from folks, including the RV salesmen. One suggests that only the Lance 4-season unit will work but they are pretty short. So far I'm heavily leaning toward the Cruiser Aire or Cruiser 305. The caveats to all this is that I live in Maine and I'd be on my own, a 66-year old woman and her herd of Chihuahuas. Would love to hear from folks who have the Cruisers with the Polartec options......do they REALLY work???
Mom2FiveDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

We've been full timing for a little over a month now (waiting for closing on our new home) and here's a few things we've found.
1. Refrigerator size - hard to stock up if the fridge is one of the smaller single door types
2. Hot water tank size - If you both have to shower around the same time in the morning, then this becomes an issue. If not, then it's really not that important.
3. Dual air conditioners are a must in the South!
4. Quality campgrounds - We've moved a few times until we found a campground that had sewer hook ups, cable tv, good internet speeds, a level and dry campsite and things to do at the campground. You pay a little more but having a pool to swim in and maybe a band or event to attend on the weekends is nice!
5. Proximity to stores, RV repair shops and propane! Again, not a necessity, but nice.
6. If you don't have washer/dryer in the camper, make sure there's one at the campground.
That's what we've learned so far. Others that have done it longer than us probably have more insight. Hope this helps!

**WAS**2013 Sunset Trail Reserve SF32RL
**WAS**2011 Dodge 1500 Outdoorsman
**NOW** 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL
Gcross1468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcross1468 View Post
We've been full timing for a little over a month now (waiting for closing on our new home) and here's a few things we've found.
1. Refrigerator size - hard to stock up if the fridge is one of the smaller single door types
2. Hot water tank size - If you both have to shower around the same time in the morning, then this becomes an issue. If not, then it's really not that important.
3. Dual air conditioners are a must in the South!
4. Quality campgrounds - We've moved a few times until we found a campground that had sewer hook ups, cable tv, good internet speeds, a level and dry campsite and things to do at the campground. You pay a little more but having a pool to swim in and maybe a band or event to attend on the weekends is nice!
5. Proximity to stores, RV repair shops and propane! Again, not a necessity, but nice.
6. If you don't have washer/dryer in the camper, make sure there's one at the campground.
That's what we've learned so far. Others that have done it longer than us probably have more insight. Hope this helps!
There are definitely a lot of factors to consider when going full-time, first getting into the sell it all mentality which is a struggle. I worked hard for all my "stuff." lol

Next how to balance the desire to travel full-time and do it affordably, as well as keeping many of the comforts of home. As I get older my back tells me we're not sleeping on the ground anymore. I would also like to balance my living between some more comfortable RV Resorts and Boon docking.

So for me there are some musts or things I am looking for that may add some cost up front, but will hopefully pay for themselves in the long run.

1. Generator
2. Upgrade to SMART batteries, a couple of them.
3. Solar set up on the roof.
3. Residential Refrigerator or minimum dual sided RV Refrigerator.
4. Pure Sine Wave Inverter (I will be working full-time while on the road and want to protect my computers and other hardware.)
5. Cell phone booster/signal amplifier, WiFi Booster and Wireless Router.
6. Dishwasher would be nice. (But not necessary)
7. Washer/Dryer
8. On Demand Water Heater - I don't have any real vices ((don't drink, don't smoke, no fast women (though I might be enticed to compromise on that one)) except I like a long hot shower in the morning. I do understand this has not been perfected for RV's yet and still suffer from issues as the need for a minimum and constant water pressure.
9. Satellite (roof mounted)
10. Full desk area for computers and monitors.
11. Dual AC
12. Arctic Package

My trade offs to help recoup the costs down the road will be to hold onto the rig for awhile, this is not a 1-2 year venture for me. To save some money through using groups such as Thousand Trails, Harvest Host, Boon Docking and heck I'm not above a Walmart parking lot or nice rest stops in some states while in transit to save few bucks.

Working while on the road in my regular work (Graphic Design and computer work) and some RV Shows or other work while traveling. I do ebay and other things as well.

I appreciate the feedback from others who are doing it, what did I miss, what is realistic and unrealistic, etc.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
What is the difference between a full time and part time rig? Quality and price? Does a "full time" rig have a statement or something that approves it for such use?
Montana has finally realized the full time market is coming and has zeroed in designing and building for this market.
Check out their 2015 lineup videos. Very nice.
Happy shopping!
mickeyndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

I agree, the new fifth wheels rival nearly any motor coach and are more affordable for many of us. I try to live debt free (yea, I'm strange) and just can't see being strapped down with a coach payment that can match a stick home payment.

Besides I like the extra head room in a 5er and they don't feel like you are living in a box.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

TravelMyRoad,
I can attest to one of your questions. I had problems with cell signals too. I went to Radio Shack, they sell Wilson Signal Boosters. I can attest that they work...I've gone from 1 bar to 4 bars and that's without putting the antennae outdoors. Secondly, for WiFI I have the Verizon Jet Pack...and the good thing there is that it also can get a signal boost from the Wilson. So, I can attest that those both work. Additionally I have a TT membership, didn't use it as much as I'd like last year, but covered my cost. This year we'll get our money's worth out of it. And, we also use Corps of Engineers Parks in between the stays for 4-5 days. I'm over 60 so I can get an E/W site for $8-10 a day. That helps the budget too. I have always used the CW Trip Planner but yesterday bought a one year membership in http://rvtripwizard.com/. I took a trip I've already planned for this year and put the same trip into the Wizard and it seemed to work as advertised. It does bring up other than CW sites and many state and COE parks which is a big plus. Hope this helps some.

Travel well,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI