Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

bed issue

We arrived at a campground and when I put out the bedroom slide, the bed did not come with it. It has detached from the wall. We pushed it mostly back in place, but we think maybe the new mattress is too heavy for this slide.

We have a couple of other issues, like the drain fell off the water tank, etc. so we are trying to make an appointment at the factory on the way home as that is the best place for service, and going there is not very much out of our way.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The mattress came with a 60 day satisfaction warranty, so we might be able to trade to a lighter model when we get home. The 60 days started just before our trip in early September.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Mattress weight should not be an issue. I have never seen a weight limit posted for underbed storage, so why should a heavier mattress cause a problem and more than storing heavy items under the bed?

More likely the bed frame was not properly secured to the wall to begin with and simply needs more careful attention to get it repaired correctly. But there is one problem generally with the design, the lift hinge is too close to the wall, less than the mattress thickness. So if you lift the bed to access the storage, the mattress puts pressure on the frame and tends to pull the frame away from the wall. it is better to slide the mattress out a few inches before lifting.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Thanks, Larry. I was lifting the bed for the first few weeks of our trip but stopped doing it when it became a problem. The damage was probably already done. I don't plan to store anything under the bed again. We are not that short of storage space.

I figure we have two options. 1. We could get the bed repaired and just not lift the mattress any more. 2. We could have it fixed up so the bed is no longer attached to the wall, put the bed on wheels and move the bed back and forth manually. The second option does come with some engineering issues related to the wheels at the head being up higher than the wheels on the floor as the slide is 6" higher than the floor.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

We have a 2015 Crossroads Cruiser 322RL and I just got the unit back from the bed being repaired for the third time. We don't lift the bed up to store underneath. I agree with Larry that mattress weight shouldn't be an issue. I think it's a design issue with not enough support to attach the header to. I will continue to take it back under warranty until they figure it out.

Claudie & Rochelle
2015 CF322
2010 Dodge Ram 2500
taterrchip09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Thanks, Larry. I was lifting the bed for the first few weeks of our trip but stopped doing it when it became a problem. The damage was probably already done. I don't plan to store anything under the bed again. We are not that short of storage space.

I figure we have two options. 1. We could get the bed repaired and just not lift the mattress any more. 2. We could have it fixed up so the bed is no longer attached to the wall, put the bed on wheels and move the bed back and forth manually. The second option does come with some engineering issues related to the wheels at the head being up higher than the wheels on the floor as the slide is 6" higher than the floor.
We lift our mattress every trip since we carry so much stuff to our jobs, so you should not hesitate to use the storage if needed. I'm guessing that CR did not get the bed frame attached to the wall studs and that is why it has pulled away. The wall studs are aluminum and only 1 inch wide, so miss them and there is no strength. Any good stud finder will locate the studs, then pre-drill holes and use sheet metal screws and the bed frame will stay attached to the wall. Sometimes the frame needs extra reinforcing as well.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We arrived at a campground and when I put out the bedroom slide, the bed did not come with it. It has detached from the wall. We pushed it mostly back in place, but we think maybe the new mattress is too heavy for this slide.

We have a couple of other issues, like the drain fell off the water tank, etc. so we are trying to make an appointment at the factory on the way home as that is the best place for service, and going there is not very much out of our way.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The mattress came with a 60 day satisfaction warranty, so we might be able to trade to a lighter model when we get home. The 60 days started just before our trip in early September.
Our rear stabilizers knocked our drain off the tank as well the first year we had our unit out. I put a longer piece of pex on the drain and angled it back behind the stabilizers - easy fix but had to wait until we returned home to get it done. I noticed how close it was when we first got the unit, but the one time I didn't look when raising the rear stabilizers I knocked it off and left 25 gallons of water on the ground of our site.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWildWest View Post
Our rear stabilizers knocked our drain off the tank as well the first year we had our unit out. I put a longer piece of pex on the drain and angled it back behind the stabilizers - easy fix but had to wait until we returned home to get it done. I noticed how close it was when we first got the unit, but the one time I didn't look when raising the rear stabilizers I knocked it off and left 25 gallons of water on the ground of our site.
Well, at least it was fresh water.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Our bed pulled away from the wall after bed slide repairs performed by the dealer. I made the repairs myself - knew the RV dealer would not do as good job as me and did not want it to sit at the dealer for another 2 months. Also, they had done enough damage to the bed the way it was.

We always pull the mattress out a little before trying to lift the bed - relieves pressure as you lift the bed. We only store light items under the bed - extra sheet/blankets.

You can see by the picture that I added a larger plywood piece on the end and vertical supports so additional screws can be used to attached the bed to the wall. I added additional support to the sides, end and top too. The aluminum studs are on 16 inch centers. I was able to locate one easily because of the wires going through the wall - near left support.

I removed the top of the bed and took it in the garage for the rebuild.

I added a picture of our pull away.

We improved the looks of the bed too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front supports.jpg (179.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg center support.jpg (159.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg end support.jpg (164.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (43.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (210.1 KB, 6 views)

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

We were unable to get an appt. at the factory as they are booked up until mid-Nov. My husband made an appt. with a local dealership at home and hopefully we can get our issues addressed there.

The new mattress is very heavy and it is difficult for me to lift the bed, so I think I will just ignore that storage area. Like I said, we have lots of other storage available.

Our unit even came with a hall closet which we don't really need, so I took one of the doors off and put the cat box in there.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

you can also add another lifter shock , or put in stronger ones. I added an extra one and bed lifts easier.
And in Norske's 2nd last pic...the piece of wood that the hinge is screwed to that attaches to the wall should be at least the same width as the mattress is high. Just cut the plywood shorter and make the 3" piece about 9" and move the hinge . That way the mattress has somewhere to lay when lifted thus not pulling frame from wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks, Wayne.