Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
New Camper

Ham Radio Installation?

Greetings to all and thanks in advance for suggestions and comments.

We just bought a Crossroads Cruiser 28' (2005) and I am planning on installing an HF multiband ham radio set up for "portable" field ops. I will be using the cabinet space in the living area normally occupied by the TV set.

I would welcome any suggestions regarding power (I will need 30 amps max at 13 v.), possible antennas, and chassis bonding (grounding), as well as any other suggestions or red flags.

I am hoping someone else here has made this journey and look forward to any replies or questions. I will be running a Kenwood TS-50S and matching AT-50 automatic tuner.

Thanks again!
Phil (KD2KSB)
PhilCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Just picking up my rig in Thursday, but have all of my radios with me. Ill be working on getting an install of some sort over the next two weeks. If you do anything please post pictures.

I probably will go with an EFHW using a crappier fishing pole as a mast. Its light, easy and works.

Kent K9EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCee View Post
Greetings to all and thanks in advance for suggestions and comments.

We just bought a Crossroads Cruiser 28' (2005) and I am planning on installing an HF multiband ham radio set up for "portable" field ops. I will be using the cabinet space in the living area normally occupied by the TV set.

I would welcome any suggestions regarding power (I will need 30 amps max at 13 v.), possible antennas, and chassis bonding (grounding), as well as any other suggestions or red flags.

I am hoping someone else here has made this journey and look forward to any replies or questions. I will be running a Kenwood TS-50S and matching AT-50 automatic tuner.

Thanks again!
Phil (KD2KSB)
NCPictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:37 AM   #3
New Camper

Hi Kent,

You're the first response to my post after 400+ views! Nice to hear from you.

Curious - what bands do you usually work? How long is the end-fed?

I will be using a multi-band vertical (OPEK) mounted on short fiberglass mast on the rear ladder. I will also carry CFHW's for 10M & 20M if needed.

Have you taken steps to bond (ground) the chassis? I assume it is necessary for HF propagation just like a mobile HF (vehicle) station would be...

Also - how much power are you running? How will you deal with the power needs? I feel like I am pushing the envelope a bit because my HF rig (Kenwood TS50) will draw up to 20 amps at 12VDC on TX, and that is the max amperage my power distribution panel will handle (WFCO). I might have to run an independent line direct from the battery switch.

Anyway - I hope we can help each other out here. good luck with your install!

Phil
KD2KSB
KD2KSB
PhilCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:10 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

With the End Fed Half Wave (EFHW) no antenna ground is needed. Its a tuned half wave and for 20-10 is about 33' long and usually does not need a tuner. I use the Mast as the mid way point, making it like an inverted VEE and will strap the mast to the ladder.

I run an Elecraft KX3 (10 watts), or Yaesu FT857 (100 watts). I also run satellites with an Icom IC9700. I use the Elecraft for Summits on the Air (SOTA) as well. I have a Yaesu FTM-400 in the truck for 2/440 and it has APRS as well.

Power wise I use Bioenno LiFePO4 batteries and charge them when not in use. No need for special wiring.

Heading up to Copper Harbor Michigan to put out some rare grids on 6 meters and satellite as well as some summits for SOTA.

Hope that helps!

Kent K9EZ

I can usually be tracked on APRS:
https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=8&cal...00&tail=172800

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCee View Post
Hi Kent,

You're the first response to my post after 400+ views! Nice to hear from you.

Curious - what bands do you usually work? How long is the end-fed?

I will be using a multi-band vertical (OPEK) mounted on short fiberglass mast on the rear ladder. I will also carry CFHW's for 10M & 20M if needed.

Have you taken steps to bond (ground) the chassis? I assume it is necessary for HF propagation just like a mobile HF (vehicle) station would be...

Also - how much power are you running? How will you deal with the power needs? I feel like I am pushing the envelope a bit because my HF rig (Kenwood TS50) will draw up to 20 amps at 12VDC on TX, and that is the max amperage my power distribution panel will handle (WFCO). I might have to run an independent line direct from the battery switch.

Anyway - I hope we can help each other out here. good luck with your install!

Phil
KD2KSB
NCPictures is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ham radio