Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2024, 05:08 AM   #1
New Camper

Winterizing Black & Grey Tanks

2022 Zinger 219RB. Crossroads manual says to put a gallon of RV antifreeze into both the grey and black tanks. No mention of the fresh tank. Any ideas why not? I was thinking residual liquid could freeze in any of the 3 tanks. I asked Keystone twice but got no response.

Second thought was whether the bottom of the fresh, black and grey tanks are level, or do they slope towards their drains? This would sure help draining. My preference was to drive a bit with the fresh tank open, help ensure it is completely drained. Or am I a bit paranoid.

Stan.
Pstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Team

I never ran that much RV anti freeze in the tanks. What I did was pour a cup full or so down each sink, and the shower/tub. (after the water lines were blowed out and winterized) The toilet, I poured some in, flushed it and then poured some in the bowel and left it there. That should help keep the seals from drying out.

If you were close to level when you dumped the tanks, don't worry about the little bit left in there. It has lots of room for expansion. Leave the plug out of your water heater for the winter.

Don't pour any anti freeze in the fresh tank! You will never get it out!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Team

If we use the fresh water tank we pump it in to the black and gray tanks untill it stops pumping then dump the black and gray. I open the drain to the fresh while we are hooking up and drive home with it open. There is some water that still comes out but not a lot. Just something we have done for years.

As Lloyd said never put RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank. It will be next to impossible to flush it all out.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:05 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I bypass and drain water heater first. Then I usually blow out the lines. Then (because I’m a little anal) I pump antifreeze through each faucet, showers (inside and out), outside low point drains and the toilet. That put’s antifreeze in the tanks. As far as the fresh water tank; I just drain and leave the drain spout open. Then (like I said before) I go back and recheck everything. Usually takes two gallons of antifreeze. I’d rather use a little extra and have piece of mind.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:17 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks Lloyd, Papa and Dagst

All good ideas, appreciate your inputs.

Stan
Old 01-11-2024, 06:17 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstan View Post
2022 Zinger 219RB. Crossroads manual says to put a gallon of RV antifreeze into both the grey and black tanks. No mention of the fresh tank. Any ideas why not? I was thinking residual liquid could freeze in any of the 3 tanks. I asked Keystone twice but got no response.

Second thought was whether the bottom of the fresh, black and grey tanks are level, or do they slope towards their drains? This would sure help draining. My preference was to drive a bit with the fresh tank open, help ensure it is completely drained. Or am I a bit paranoid.

Stan.
I only put a small amount of antifreeze in each tank, maybe a quart at most. Attached is a photo of my fresh water tank. I got caught in a winter storm and water froze in the "empty" fresh water tank and cracked the plastic around the 3/4" drain pipe. You can see in this photo there is a small recess where residual water collect even when the tank is empty. You'll never get it all out. All you need to do is add enough antifreeze to fill these recess areas in the tanks.

Dustin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210424_175930638.jpg (256.5 KB, 8 views)

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:25 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Here's more about that leaking fresh water tank if you're interested.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...eak-16019.html

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:33 PM   #8
Site Team

I have noticed on a few of our campers that if we just drain the tank it does not fully drain. But if we drained before we left the campground and drove home with the drain valve open it did. The next time we fill it takes a few gallons before it runs out the drain. So always on the last trip we make sure to drain then leave the valve open on the trip home. No antifreeze in the tank for us. Did it once a long time ago and could not get rid if the smell/taste even with a lot of flushing and bleach sanitizing.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:03 PM   #9
New Camper

Dagst great idea I will do that

Dustin, I can’t tell what I’m looking at in your photo but I understand what you mean. I drained my fresh tank in the almost level driveway. Then did a short drive with the valve closed. Then a few days at about 10 deg F overnight. Then on a warm day I opened the valve and a bunch of water came out. I feel lucky the freezing didn’t damage the valve. I will add a bit of antifreeze to the fresh now each Fall
Old 01-28-2024, 02:52 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Or leave the tank open. Water can't collect if you leave the drain valve open
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote