Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

On August 4th I posted - "Need help with 12 volt Converter....I Think" <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Well FYI to all rookies like me.......

I am happy to report that my problem is solved.

with guidance from my new friend Chris....I went into my converter (with the rig unplugged and battery disconnected) and simply tightened several connectors within the converter. I found several of the connectors at the fuse panel to be loose. I tightened some more than others.....I thencleaned the battery cables real good.....when I plugged the camper in and connected the battery...like magicall 12volt lights and fan worked fine.

So if you are having 12 volt problems.......first check behind the converter panel (<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">with electricity and batterydisconnected[/B]) and make sure all connections are secure and tight.

Let's go camping!!!

Terry, Eileen and the twins.
2006 CrossRoads Cruiser - CF29BT
2005 Ford PSD Crew Cab SD
Houston, Texas
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Life is great just got back from a week in Utica NY.and a couple of days on the St. Lawerance.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Sure glad it's working.

By the way did I mention to disconnect the electric and battery?

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

But you forgot the beer and vodka

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

No Beer just vodka, AFTER!

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Abita Amber and Absolute? (not mixed)!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We've had a lot more problems with a power converter than what you experienced. We have a 34RL 2008 Paradise Point. The first power converter went out in Texas in February of 2008 and the factory shipped a replacement to a repair facility. We had to pay the shipping. The second converter went out on our way to the 2008 Branson CrossRoads Rally. The factory sent us to a dealer in Missouri that sells CrossRoads and they pulled a power converter out of a Hampton Park model. We are now in Utah and are having more problems. TheTHIRD converter is starting to go out. The12 volt lights start flickering and going dim. We need the converter for the refrigerator thermostat and the air conditioner thermostat. The power converter is located under a bank of four kitchen drawers. It is under the bottom drawer and is not getting enough air. We had been at the factory after last year's rally and they cut vents into the kick plate of the cabinet and put holes to vent into the cabinet under the oven. However, this isNOT working. We ended up buying a small electric fan that we mounted by the holes under the oven and it blows onto the power converter and we have to keep the bottom drawer out so it gets more air. We have talked to Randy at the factory and will be going there after we get home in October. We think the power converter is either not the right size for our RV or it's a cheap Chinese piece of junk. It has been up to 104 degrees in Utah and we need to keep the 12 volt working. The converter should not be mounted under a drawer where the air circulation is not sufficient to keep the converter running. This was a very poor design on the part of CrossRoads. We are not Happy Campers at the present time.

Tom Seiler

Downers Grove, IL
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

A few days ago Ireported on the problems I've been having with power converters in my 208 34RL Paradise Pointe Travel Trailer. As I write this, I am waiting to receive my fourth (4th) power converter. I am currently at a campground in Moab, Utah and have been talking to Randy at the factory about my problem. He said they would ship out another power converter but in the meantime I should hook up a battery charger to the trailer battery to keep the 12 volt lights working. I had to purchase a battery charger and hook it up.Now I have a new problem. None of my 110 lights or outlets in the kitchen and living room areas work. I have to plug my coffee pot into a bedroom outlet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the frig and AC keep working as they both have thermostats that work off 12 volts. This trip was planned a year ago and I'm going to be on the road until early October. I don't want to have to end this trip and head back to the factory for more repairs. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is cheap Chinese power converters or if my trailer is wired wrong. I hope Randy and his staff can come up with something to resolve my problem. This is my fourth RV and I've never had problems with my other three like I'm having now. In fact, my last RV was a 31 foot Holiday Rambler Alumalite travel trailer that I kept for 20 years. The only reason I got rid of it was because we spend extended periods of time in our RV now that we are retire and wanted more room with slideouts. I've lost faith in CrossRoads but I can't say enough for Randy and his staff who are trying to figure out what's going on with my RV.

Tom Seiler

Downers Grove, IL
pointer1 is offline   Reply With Quote