Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Just bought a CF 26 RKX and I have concerns about the tires. They are Mastertrack 225 75Rx 15 load range D. Just about everything I have read about them hasn't been good, but these were older posts, don't know if they are better now as these were made 1810. Has anyone had any experiences with these tires?

dualsportin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

OEM tires on towables are all the same unless you move up to the big $$$, they are China made no-name tires. Our no-name China Mission tires went about 6K miles over two years with no issues. I kept a watch on pressure, kept tires off the ground on boards during storage, and always covered the tires from sunlight.

However, many people havereported unexplained failures with these China tires. I'm no expert but I'm sure some are road hazard (nails, debris) caused and yet others are becuase people haul there campers at 70MPH clearly exceeding posted speed limits and the limits of the tire.

Before I traded I was planning on changing over to Maxxis tires, very good reviews on them and they come in standard RV tires sizes (15"). The Michelin's and others are more expensive and require a +1 setup to 16" wheels.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

We just purchased a CF26RKX as well. I am not the biggest fan of oem trailer tires and already have checked the price of Greenballs and Maxxis. I will run the oem tires for the time being, giving them the benefit of the doubt. However, I will inspect them regularly. They are getting balanced as well. If one fails, they all get replaced. Including the spare.

Not sure how the "Secure Stance" axle system will affect the tires during sharp cornering. Sharp turns put large amounts of stress on trailer tires. They more or less slide vs. roll.

I too looked into the mastertrack tire reputation and found info a couple years old as well.

Carlisle tires, although work great on our ATVs, Will never be on any of our RVs.

Dualsportin, don't forget to adjust the brakes on your new fiver. I've never had a towable with the brakes properly adjusted. makes a world of difference.

Edited by: ntrsandman
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys, I too have my eye on the Maxxis Es as well, my local Les Schwab dealer said he would give me $40/ tire credit against a set of Maxxis, so I think that's the route I will take.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Site Team

You guy's might not believe it, but when I switched my Missions over to Goodyear, my dealer did the switch for $50.00 total. All 5 tires. I figured there was about 7000 mi. on the old ones.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I figure swaping one China tire for another dosen't make much differents.If your lucky enough to find Goodyear,Maxxis,or any othertrailer tires made other than China make sure you check the year made.I think the best thing is not to run them low on air and keep an eye on the wear pattern.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Well, we picked up our CF26RKX yesterday. After having issues with trailer tires in the past, and not really having faith in the tires on the new CR, we decided to replace the Mastertracks with Maxxis asap. I did mention in aprevious post that I would give the Mastertracks the benefit of the doubt. I recant that remark. We discussed the price of a set of tires vs. the headache of a failed tire.(been there, done that) and the damage that can occur. If CR won't step up to a better tire, I might as well protect my investment.

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/73...downturn.aspx#

Found this with a maxxis rep making statements.

some interesting trailer tire info.

Edited by: ntrsandman
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We just ordered 4 Maxxis 225/75r15 Load Range E tires to replace the oem load range D tires. The wheels are rated at 2830 lbs as are the Maxxis tires. We will feel better having tires that have an excellent reputation keeping our RV traveling safely down the road.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

That's great, I don't know why CR doesn't do that at the factory, a cost issue apparently. Les Schwab tire not only sells the Maxxis but also Gladiator which is what I went with. Tried them out for the first trip out over Presidents weekend and they worked well.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Lots of tire talk here and some mention of watching speed and tire pressure, but another critical aspect is the trailer load. I can't believe what I see people put inside a travel trailer. When I pulled my rig on a Cat scale I almost didn't want to go back on the road. We had so much stuff I went looking for a dumpster. Also had a battle with the DW. I was glad the Patriot package included an upgrade to 16 inch wheels and E rated tires.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsc01q
Lots of tire talk here and some mention of watching speed and tire pressure, but another critical aspect is the trailer load. I can't believe what I see people put inside a travel trailer. When I pulled my rig on a Cat scale I almost didn't want to go back on the road. We had so much stuff I went looking for a dumpster. Also had a battle with the DW. I was glad the Patriot package included an upgrade to 16 inch wheels and E rated tires.

I agree on the overloading. We have had debates over how much we need to load. Both inside (women's world) and outside (men's world). That changes as more people are put in the picture as well.

This may be a good thread to start in the general discussion topic. Get folks thinking about what they load and how it can affect towing, tires, and safety.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Just received the Maxxis tires. For those who care, they were made in Thailand. I am not concerned with where they were made as much as I am with quality. I would think that Maxxis has a good reputation with trailer tires and it would not jeopardize said reputaion by lowering it's quality.

I purchased them through discounttiredirect.com. Shipped for free. No taxes. I need to have them mounted and balanced. In my situation, free. I will save over $300 over buying them at a dealer. Sure, I may run into issues if there is a problem. But they will be less than if I had a problem with the OEM tires. JMHOEdited by: ntrsandman
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

have you considered looking into the manufactured date on the tires?

sitting on a "shelf" for a couple years????

seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee
have you considered looking into the manufactured date on the tires?

sitting onĀ* a "shelf" for a couple years????

Ā*

Is 6 months too old? Should I return them and get "newer" tires?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

6 months should be ok.

some tires "sit on the shelf" for years, dry rotting.

for an insight, ask your mechanic....not a tire dealer.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee
6 months should be ok.

some tires "sit on the shelf" for years, dry rotting.

for an insight, ask your mechanic....not a tire dealer.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Mounted and balanced the Maxxis tires this morning. They are physically heavier than the OEM Mastertrack tires. Possibly due to the 10 ply rated Maxxis over the 8 ply MTs. Worth the peace of mind after the tire failures in the past.