Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Gorilla Cage?

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

“This is the last unit we have with the full metal frame.”
</span>This was the writing on a sign attached
to the side of a Cruiser at an RV Show. </span>I did not find a Gorilla Cage decal on any of
the new units.

What changes (if any) are there in the Cruiser Framework?????

The individual showing the Cruiser (used car salesman) thought
they now used wood and metal but I find this hard to believe.

Thanx </span>Kamper Dave

Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

The web site still advertizes 16" on center aluminum frames (gorilla cages). My new 13 Patriot has the gorilla cage but not the decal. Probably meant that that was the only RV left for sale with the gorilla cage. They definitely have not changed to wooden frames. Talk to a rv salesman not a used car salesman. If that is the rv salesman go to another rv dealer.< ="text/" id="_tmpl"><div id="<%= Id %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= Left %>; top: <%= Top %>; width: <%= Width %>; height: <%= Height %>">

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

There was some discussion awhile back that the term gorilla cage was being dropped because they were going from adhesive and screwed joints to welded joints on the aluminum frame. Maybe someone with more info can answer the Q. Also anyone recently take a factory tour might be able to shed some light, are the aluminum studs welded or still glued and screwed?

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The only reference that I can find regarding the Gorilla cage construction is listed under the Patriot package so I guess either the construction for the other units has changed or they just failed to state that the other Cruiser units have the Gorilla cage construction.

Patriot Package

Freestanding dinette table with flip up storage chairs
32" LCD TV in Living room
8 cu ft Fridge IPO 6 cu ft Fridge
50 amp service with 2nd A/C prep
15K A/C
Electric rear jacks
PolarTec insulation
Intelli-jacks leveling system
Ceiling fan
10 gallon water heater
Raised panel refrigerator front
Electric awning with LED light bar
Washer/Dryer prep
Angled living room slide
16" OC Gorilla cage construction
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

As far as I know the walls, studs, roof and floor have not changed they are still all aluminum they just went from screwed and glued to welded for cost savings. So by omitting "Gorilla Cage" from the new units mean the welded is less strong, who knows.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

When I bought my unit, I discussed the screwed together frame with the sales rep( I know - dangerous!) and he was very adamant about how the screwed frame is much stronger and yet far more forgiving when you add flexing during travel. He kept going on how this was a CR commitment to quality even though it took longer to build a unit this way. I don't know for sure which method is really best but my unit has held together quite well.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Thank you all for your input.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
When I bought my unit, I discussed the screwed together frame with the sales rep( I know - dangerous!) and he was very adamant about how the screwed frame is much stronger and yet far more forgiving when you add flexing during travel. He kept going on how this was a CR commitment to quality even though it took longer to build a unit this way. I don't know for sure which method is really best but my unit has held together quite well.

Myself I preferred the glue and screw as it allowed a little less rigid frame. These things travel through all types of terrain so a little flex is unavoidable and needed.

I have seen more than one of the other manufacturers welded units break at a weld point and push the aluminum framing right through the paneled wall. so That causes me to like a little built in flexability. I am on our second unit built this way and nary a problem with construction techniques in a lot of miles too...JMHO jb
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
As far as I know the walls, studs, roof and floor have not changed they are still all aluminum they just went from screwed and glued to welded for cost savings. So by omitting "Gorilla Cage" from the new units mean the welded is less strong, who knows.

I remember when we were first looking at CR units I asked about the glue and screw versus welded. The reply I got at the factory was their inability to get and keep good welders plus the glue and screw more closely resembled aircraft type construction so that is why they went that way..

It made sense to me and after 9 years of owning one of theirs I have no negative things to contribute..just saying jb

Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

John, they no longer use the "screwed and glued" method which like you and others I would prefer. They now weld the aluminum studs and joist.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Just watched a show on custom RV's -Extreme RV's. The firms that are building the RV's for celebrities would never consider screwing metal studs. The only construction method they use is welded studs. They stated that that is the best method for surviving all the twisting, flexing and bouncing when traveling. I guess Crossroads must be on the ball; they switched to welded studs also.
The new website for crossroads Cruiser Patriots still states Gorilla Cage construction.

Edited by: mark5w

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Crossroads did not switch to welded because it was any better than "screwed and glued" they switched because it is a more efficent and cheaper way to build them. The quality of the welding all depends on the skill level of the welders. Here is their response to this question back in an older post. Notice the reference at the time of them having the "best warranty in the business".

http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum...ing-phased-out
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Crossroads did not switch to welded because it was any better than "screwed and glued" they switched because it is a more efficent and cheaper way to build them. The quality of the welding all depends on the skill level of the welders. Here is their response to this question back in an older post. Notice the reference at the time of them having the "best warranty in the business".

http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum...ing-phased-out
X2 on Hunter's post. Since Thor took over it is all about getting units out the door. They are giants in the RV industry and very successful. I guess that all comes with a price. That said I have a 2011 Patriot and it has been a good rig. I think you can find dissatisfied owners of most products in a comparable price range to Cruiser.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

My wife and I were at the factory back in early March and they were still building the welded metal frames along side their "Lighter Weight" models which were a laminated walled rig designed to be pulled by half ton trucks. Maybe the reference to "last Gorilla Cage" was in reference to the laminated walled rigs that they had left at the show.
2016 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote