Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
New Camper

We recently traded our Sun Set Trail RL29 for a SK30 5th wheel. Am in the process of installing a 26 inch LCD TV in the living area. I removed the stock mount in favor of a stronger one.I was suprised to see the mount was held in by two very skinny dry wall type screws. The new mount came with 5/16 lagbolts. Does anyone know exactly what the mount screws or bolts will actually screw into.( what type of material) It appears as if it is a fiber board, was hoping for a real 2 by 4.
DJSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I asked the same question when I got my 30SK. It seems that the original bracket is screwed into an aluminium wall stud that is only 1" wide. I don't think that there was any other material added to strengthen this area. It is recommended to remove your TV from the mounting bracket while traveling down the road, to lessen the strain on the wall and bracket. That sounded like a good idea to me, no matter how strong the bracket is.

Maggie Mae (Basset Hound)

2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4l 3.73

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot

Chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Howdy from the Frozen North

I installed a 26"LCD in our 09 30sk . I installed 2 large eye bolts in the wall stud behind the TV & secure the TV with 2 nylon straps while travelling.
Seems secure have gone about 16,000 km's with no trouble.
Cal

Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I use a strap like the ones that came to whole the chairs in place.I put a D ring on each side of the cabinet inside and when I strap it in the TV is all the way back against the mount and it ain't never moved.I even been on I-59 and I-65 and all the Interstate roads around Atlanta Ga.If that didn't get itnothing will.I also took a piece of 1/2 inch water pipe insulation and when I tighten it up I put this behind the strap to keep the buckle off the screen. Edited by: FB1965

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
New Camper

Cal, thanks for the response...I am trying to figure out what the material is that the actual TV mount is screwed into or bolted in to. I removed the original mount because the 26in LCD has a different bolt pattern than the supplied TV mount. The one I am installing is much more robust. The two little (dry wall type) screws that held the original mount in, do not look like they would support the new mount or a 26in TV. I ran a small drill bit into the existing holes and got a fiber board type material in the bit. Am just not sure if I can run 5/16 lag bolts into that material

Columbus,Georgia

2010 CF30SK

2007 GMC 2500 HD

Duramax/Allison 4x4
DJSeven is offline   Reply With Quote