Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
New Camper

2018 Sunset Trail 2901 RK Slide

I am considering a purchase of a used 2901 RK.
Upon initial inspection, this unit's slide did not extend completely, partially blocking inside cabinet doors.
I have read about the slide complaints, mostly not extending completely out. Is there a way for this to be fixed/adjusted? I read one post that said they had bypassed the motor and moved it out and in manually and "reprogrammed it", with no further problems.
I don't want to buy a expensive problem.
Any feedback would be helpful about the slide in particular, but also the unit as a whole.

Thank you
DMHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Is this from a dealer or private sale?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
New Camper

Private seller
DMHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMHenry View Post
I am considering a purchase of a used 2901 RK.
Upon initial inspection, this unit's slide did not extend completely, partially blocking inside cabinet doors.
I have read about the slide complaints, mostly not extending completely out. Is there a way for this to be fixed/adjusted? I read one post that said they had bypassed the motor and moved it out and in manually and "reprogrammed it", with no further problems.
I don't want to buy a expensive problem.
Any feedback would be helpful about the slide in particular, but also the unit as a whole.

Thank you
It may be worth the money to have a mobile RV tech do an inspection on the whole trailer just so you don’t have any costly surprises.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Unless you are in love with the camper or the price reflects the flaws - if it were me have them fix it or offer a lower price knowing it has a existing flaw.. Also if the seller is offering it for sale with that known what other problems are they hiding.

Yes there is a relearn process but will that fix the problem and for how long.

Let us know what you decide.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I think this warrants further inspection and research. Slide repairs can be complex and expensive. If the dealer or private seller is not willing to address the issue or compensate you for it, I’d be inclined to pass.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
New Camper

Schwintek slides can be reprogrammed, but my old Sunset Trail rv with a cable dinette slide needed new motors. Fortunately the cost was covered under warranty, but the slide was not fixed correctly and was never square to the floor and walls again. I don't think I would buy something with known issues unless the price reflected the repair cost.
RockyMtn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
New Camper

slide out problem

I had a problem with my slide hanging up and not wanting to retract. I went to You Tube and got some answers. Just type in Troubleshooting a Lippert (Schwintec) in wall slide out. I found that I needed to lube the gears with CRC power lube. To get the room back in Square, move it out about a foot and back in again. If the room is out ,move it in about a foot and back out. That should sync the motors, so the room doesn't hang up. I did this with my room and haven't had a problem since.
mwtamme is offline   Reply With Quote