Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
New Camper

Fresh water problem

I have a 2014 sunset trail. It’s new to us. I have sanitized and flushed the fresh water at least 4 times. I still have a very strong sulfur smell. I use household bleach in the recommended concentration. I use my house water which does not smell like sulfur. It is softened and I run a Super S system which removes any trace of FeSO4. Anyone know what’s wrong or how to fix it?
Miss Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a link.
https://www.crossroadhttps://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/f25/stinky-bad-tasting-water-3391.htmlsowners.com/forums/f25/stinky-bad-tasting-water-3391.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Be sure to put the sanitizer in the hot water heater also.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I found that my similar problem was a result of not opening the low point drains. I now open them when beginning in the spring, once again mid season, and lastly at closing. Pool chlorine is calcium hypochlorite and much stronger - about 10 times more. I dissolve a teaspoon in a gallon of water and pour it in the fresh water tank twice. I then fill the tank full. Let it sit for 24 hours. Then run pump until I smell strong chlorine on both hot and cold at all outlets. Wait 24 hours and repeat. Drain everything, refill fresh water tank full and repeat 2 times to purge.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Team

One tip is to drain the water tank and water heater after each trip.That will help prevent any further smell. Also you could try a baking soda solution after the bleach. It may help.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Team

No joke, some flush after bleach with Vodka also.

I use 1 tb. pool chlorine granules leave in over night. I make sure that it also fills up the hot water heater which is usually the source of the smell.

Then rinse the system until the chlorine smell is gone.

Never a fan of using bleach for wash.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
New Camper

Not a likely scenario, but have you put in any new rugs or carpet recently? Certain types of stain guard on new carpet give off a vapor that combines with the chlorine in tap water & makes the water smell terrible. Once the stain repellent fully cures (1-2 weeks) the smell goes away.
Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
New Camper

I sanitized with bleach, then flushed with fresh water. My well water is horribly rusty. So I used softened water. Next I sanitized with vinegar, and flushed with fresh water. I emptied and flushed HWH each time.

I filled up at CG three days ago. The water isn’t horrible. It smells of iron but not a strong sulfur odor. My wife showered and had no complaints. I’m gonna sanitize one more time when I get home. Then I think I’d feel comfortable Using for dishes.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Mix a box of baking soda in some warm water then pour in the tank. Run it thru the lines including the hot and it will help remove odors. Leave it set a day or to to sweeten the lines. Then flush with water. Just like putting a box in the refrigerator to help remove odors.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Yeah I open low water valve and dump my hot water tank after every trip... never end up having that issue
priest6479 is offline   Reply With Quote