Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

hi all , left the campground today after dumping . luckily i forgot to replace the sewer cap and saw it hanging in my rear view mirror . when i went to do that , i discovered a plastic strap with some electical wire hanging that would have been worn by rubbing the tires . this is located on the slide section of our ST 27 RB . we got it fixed with good ole duct tape to get home . need to make a better fix , as it doesn't look too good going down the road with duct tape pasted to the outside fender . has any one ever had this problem . really now sure what this wire is for : the slide or the lights to the back of the camper . any thoughts or suggestions to a better fix appreciated
2013 Ram 2500 HD Hemi
Pullrite super glide
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

We have a 27 RB and I try to check these wires after pulling the slide in. There are two plastic folding brackets that support these wires, but it looks like when the slide is out, they like to sag and get out of place. I'm not sure what these wires supply power to, but having the tires cut into them is not good. Someone on the forum talked about replacing the plastic arms with light sheet metal. I need to look at mine and see if that would help. I think it would prevent the sagging.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Our strap broke in half during a trip in '09. Duct taped it back together on the spot. Has been working as it should ever since and is out of sight under the slide.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Russ you really love that duct tape, But I bet it does not get near the silver Car

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Actually, Frank, I developed a tear in the vinyl hood protector (bra) for the silver bullet that is being held back together from theunderside by black duct tape. It's uses are endless!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

The next think I know is that you will tell me you van move snow with it. If that happens I will have to get a second opinon from Eric

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

take 3 hinges and some flat bar and make a new piece that hinges in the middle. Mine broke and dragged on the tire till the wire wore through. Crap design! Has been 2 yrs and not an inch of movement anymore. I cable tied the wires/loom to the outside so it to pivots when opening and closing. I put up some pics on here of what it looked like/with measurements on another link.

Firestone Airbag kit

09 26RK Sunset Trail

11 SkiDoo BackCountry X

malbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I used 1-1/4 flat bar and it measures 20" each side, with hinge. You can use any old hinge as long as it pivots enough for your needs.
I used an old door hinge cut in half. Welded it to both pieces in the middle, and then to both end pieces. Used 4 short lag screw to secure it to the frame and the slide.
Then just cable tied the harness to the metal strip, just leave enough slack(about an 1-2") in the center so you don't pinch it when the "V" closes up. It is bolted about 6" back from the slide rail itself.</span>

Firestone Airbag kit

09 26RK Sunset Trail

11 SkiDoo BackCountry X

malbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

;od morning to all. Evidently this is a factory wide issue. I too have had this strap to break. Thanks goodness for duct tape. I spliced my strap back with a piece of about 2.5" of dry wall corner strip and screwed it together and then duct taped it. I talked with another Crossroads owner while on vacation and he had the same issue. He took his to the dealership and they taped the wires (cable) to the strap and then used a screen door spring and attached it to the frame to keep the wires from hanging down too far. My camper is at the dealership now for a number of issues, Hope they can resolve them.

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote