Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

<div style="text-align: left;">So, I have replaced the rear stabilizer jack on my 2012 ST26RB due to the motor burning up. Mostprobablydue to the switchsticking.</span>Replacedthe switch while I was changing the motor. That has been several months ago. Well today when I got home I happen to look in the back yard to see all four wheels off the ground and the rear stabilizer jack fully extended. First thought was</span>someonehad to be messing with me, but highly</span>unlikely with thenosyneighbors. So I am back to thinking either the circuit board or possibly the switch, but I can't see how when it has been sitting for over a month. Anyone else experienced something likes this???? Or any ideas whats happened???

2012 ST26BH - 2008 Chevy Silverado.
JayLow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Wow........I didn't think motors were strong enough to actually lift the trailer off the ground.

Funny story; on our inaugral trip to Florida last February 2012, we stopped for a few hourssleep in our ST25RB. I heard sound coming from outside back of our RV, sounded like stabilizer jacks going up &amp; down, stop, &amp; then keep repeating. I was a bit paranoid going outside about 2am in a rest area, thinking someone was out there tampering with our trailer. When I finally went out and to the backside of trailer it was almost like a ghost was pushing the stabilizer jack button. After pushing &amp; making sure switch was in center position, the problem stopped.

When we were coming back from Florida 3 weeks later, front stabilizer would't come up at all. After calling our dealer back home (long distance), was told I would have to remove the motor in order to "hand crank" front stabilizers manually. Once home and nearly a month later, had dealer replace front jack and switch.

Fast forward to July 2012, and our annual Myrtle beach trip.Back stabilizerswitch wouldn't operate stabilizers, but luckily had a remote to use to bring in. Once home rear wouldn't come down at all with either the switch or the remote. Again got dealer to order new switch &amp; motor. Took approx 3 weeks again, but this time I replaced it myself. Didn't want to drive 100 miles return for something so simple I could do myself. Dealer wanted me to take bunch of pictures of motor removed from trailer, that I could email to them. (Not all dealers may allow this, I was lucky mine did).

Anyway, my diagnosis of all these mishaps? Switches have been placed in a very poor location where they can get all the overspray of wet roads while travelling. And in my case we love camping near the ocean, thus anything "metal like" will begin to rust &amp; corrodebeing exposedto the "salt air". I personally plan to move those 2 switches from the skirtunderbelly, &amp; mount themeither inside the storage compartment in front, and for rear switch inside a small hatch door which I will pick up either at a dealer or on eBay. There are many posts on this Forum about others that have replaced motors on a regular basis, but I think the main culpret is the deterioration of switches to the point they operate motors to the point of burn-out. I spoke to Tom at Crossroads, who said his best advice would be to spray underside of switches with an undercoating type spray (Walmart/Home Depot). I still optfor placing switches inside some sort of compartment or hatch door.

Good luck, happy travels!Edited by: Tonemeister
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Souns like you have made a good analysis Tony. Our cruiser has the rear jacks switch in an enclosed plastic box. Don't know why they don't do all of them that way.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

So, it has happened again. This time the jacks will not come up evenly. Think I have a fix by running them down and chocking the stabilizer side that's lower up until they are even and then running it back up. Weird thing is the motor is powerful enough to lift all four tires off the ground. Keep in mind i haven't taken the rv out since the last time this has happened. I would hate to be traveling and the jack decides its going to lower itself again. I plan to call dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they have a quick fix, maybe another switch. This will be second switch replacement.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

It seems CrossRoads has not had a lot of luck with the switches/motors on the stabilizer jacks. Our first year of ownership (last year) we had a lot of problems with the switches and motors, they replaced the swith and motor on the rear jacks, electronic system that operates the jacks as well as come of the mechanical and electrical parts on the front jacks. We now have some exposed wiring connections, mounted to the frame of the trailer for the front jacks, not happy with that but our dealer says this is the CrossRoads approved "fix".
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You are right about the switches being exposed to the road elements . What kind of "engineer" designed this crap. . Should be in and enclosed box .And the wires on mine were so tightly wrapped around the motor that the rubber plug that is supposed to keep water out of the motor was cracked .All I had to do was loosen the tie straps and give it some slack and silicone the hole .Water being pushed into the motor at highway speeds can't be good ...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

So I have seemed to find a quick fix until I can trouble shoot more. Pulled 30 amp fuse which kills power to everything that the remote control operates. I plan on putting a inline switch on that 30 amp circuit. This won't fix the current sloppy engineering of the switch hide away design but will prevent the motor from burning up. I would like to rewire stabilizer motor switches to a inclosed location although may take time to rewire. For now pulling the 30 amp fuse will do. Happy camping!