Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
New Camper

Back ordered parts

I have a 2014 Sunset Trail 32 BH. In July of 2020 the rear slidout (Schwintek) would not function properly. Only one side would go out. I noticed the wires for the front motor wirs were pulled out of the motor. We purched an extended warranty which covers mostly anything that can go wrong. I called the dealership and they ordered the motor. They called when it came in and I dropped our camper off. They called the next day and said it also needed a column. They got the approval of the warranty company and ordered the parts. This was back at the end of July beginning of August. Our camper was dropped off mid October to be repaired. The dealership called a week later and did the parts were back ordered. They told me the manufacturer is not releasing parts for replacement and only for new campers. We start camping in April. I am wondering if I start to bug the manufacturer, get an attorney, or keep on calling the dealer.
Brew Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
Site Team

This is just my opinion: With everything going on and the severe upswing in new camper sales the manufacture will supply the industry first - there 10000 unit order vs your 1. Again my opinion #1 bugging the manufacture will get you no where #2 You have no legal claim regarding a "back-ordered" part. The dealer can do nothing till he gets the part. #3 Bugging the dealer too much may just get your camper put to the back of the list. Just check in every so often.

We took our camper in last year to have the living room slide floor replaced then "IT" hit and closed down the dealer. When they did open our camper was actually in the shop with the slide on the floor But some parts were also on back order . They had the camper for 4 months but i did get a fair discount.

Just try to be patient you still have a little time. Who knows the parts may show up soon.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

brew crew
Got to agree with dagst1 a thousand percent...Covid has everything screwed up...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I agree with the previous posts, things are all messed up with Covid going on. I too had a backorder issue, but for me, it was not warranty.
Now, I don't know what you need when you say 'column', but if you really want to get your camper back before spring, and don't mind buying the parts, perhaps shop for yourself. In my case, the manufacturer of the part did not have any, and were producing in very small quantities, so I was looking at no use of my camper for a long time. I found the part at a mega-dealer (Colaw RV in Missouri), and had it in a couple days...
It's an option.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
New Camper

It is the torque rod that goes from the top gear to the bottom gear. I could try to order the parts, but the warranty company has already agreed to it. The other issue is the slideout need to come out to replace it.
Brew Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Crew View Post
It is the torque rod that goes from the top gear to the bottom gear. I could try to order the parts, but the warranty company has already agreed to it. The other issue is the slideout need to come out to replace it.
If you are able to find the parts, order them and take them to the dealer if that would work.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
New Camper

Redwood Facia & Wrap Metal

We have a 2020 Redwood that has been in the shop since July 2021. Cosmetic damage. They have been waiting on Facia and Wrapped Metal since then. I cannot find out where I could get these pieces outside of the manufacturer. There seems to be plenty to build new trailers, but any repairs can wait until...I don't know what. Any thoughts?
LeoBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Unfortunately that is the nature of things now. The other day i read a article about the parts shortage and only time will fix it - maybe. Yes the manufacture will get supplies before the repair facilities. When we bought our Seville earlier this year the landing gear had to be replaced. The manufacture - Stromberg Carlson only had the follow leg in stock had to wait about 6 weeks for the lead leg. Fortunately our lead leg was ok but we thought if one had troubles replace both.

I feel for you but at this point waiting is all you can do.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schwintek / lippert, slide issues