Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
New Camper

Cutting the exterior panel

We have a 2010 CTX Cruiser 26RKX Travel Trailer and it does not have an outside shower. I have a spot for it but cutting into the outside of my beautiful camper is a bit daunting so I want to make sure to use the right cutting tool. I've measured 16 times, checked for wiring AND studs 25 times, and I will be laying down tape before cutting. So, any suggestions as to the best way to cut the hardside? Or am I on the right track with thinking a jigsaw will work? Seems like a lot of vibration so thinking maybe a small hand drywall saw might do the trick too?
Indianapolis, IN
nohoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you thought of a router with a plunge bit?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
New Camper

We have a outside shower, never use it, ever. We do have an outside kitchen, now there's a feature every camper should have, love that. PersonallY I wouldn't chop a hole in my new trailer and chase hot and cold water lines for the outside shower, but hey, you have to make these thing your own, enjoy... If you need it you'll enjoy it, simple like that.
Alfred kleckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Team

The router sounds like your best bet. On our cruiser it behind the bath vanity. The wife and i never use it but when the granddaughter went now that was another story.

Just had another thought did you check on other years - same model if a outside shower was available? Might give a hint to find the best spot.

Keep us posted.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

That's a bit weird!
We've owned several RVs the last 40+ years & ALL had outside showers.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I wouldn’t use a jigsaw. Either a router or air dremel tool with a fine cutting disc.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Jig saw would work with a fine blade. Slow going but neat.couple layers of wide masking tape. . Router may be too big ,all depends on what is near.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Best option would be a trim router, However.... If router experience is lacking (which is not uncommon) It can get away from you in a hot second, and cause you all sorts of grief.
I have seen it too many times to mention. You only get one shot, do it with a tool your comfortable using.
My choice would be a layer of painters tape on the jigsaw base, and a short fine toothed blade. Drill out each corner with a small paddle bit so your basically doing straight cuts.
A dremel would also be a good choice.. easy to control, but a little more time consuming.
Take it slow, and vibrations will be very minimal.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Another tool you could try would be a multi-tool. They vibrate so they are easier to control. A fine wood blade or maybe a drywall blade should cut through the fiberglass and you can control the depth...just a thought.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Gone Traveling

The exterior wall is 2"+ total to get all the way through. A layer of Filon, a 1/4-3/8" layer of some type of wood, 2" +/- of styrofoam & the 1/8" Luan paneling inside all laminated together. So whatever tool you use will either need to cut through layers at a time or be 2"+ long blade.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Another tool you could try would be a multi-tool. They vibrate so they are easier to control. A fine wood blade or maybe a drywall blade should cut through the fiberglass and you can control the depth...just a thought.

Best idea.
Attached Images
File Type: png GOP18V28_HeroHigh_Bare.png (136.2 KB, 13 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
Site Team

I hope you all aren't thinking of cutting a hole all the way through the wall??
I would only go thru the fiberglass skin and luan to start with. Then if it has styrofoam insulation you can take that out with a knife. No need to go thru the inner wall.

Like mentioned before, If there isn't water lines there, that could be a chore.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #13
Site Team

Are you sure you do not have a outside shower. Just finished looking at a few and they all had one - drivers side above the trunk door in front of the slide.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #14
Site Team

I've seen some outside showers at the back of the TT also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #15
Site Team

I looked up his year and model that were for sale and they all had a shower in the side location. But depending on the model it could also be in the back.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
Site Team

When we ordered our Cruiser, the outside shower was part of the sales pitch. I told the dealer I didn't want it. Crossroads was MUCH easier to talk to and deal with at that time. They eliminated the outside shower on our rig.
Just try and get any of the manufactures to work with you like that in today's world.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #17
New Camper

Hey everyone! Thank you for the replies... all very helpful.

I think our CTX is a bit of a rare model. It is a CTX Cruiser 26RKX but it is not a fifth wheel, it is a travel trailer. It does not have an outside shower, which at the time, I didn't even look for because I have never seen a modern day rv not have one. Before we bought it, I tried to find info online about it... could not find anything. As far as the thickness of material to cut through, it is an exterior panel maybe 1/2" in thickness with fiberglass insulation in between that outside panel and interior panel. There is maybe a 2" dead space between the exterior and interior walls which has the fiberglass insulation in it. I plan on just cutting deep enough to gain access to the insulation and then the inside panel. I do have a multi-tool and that is what I will try. I forgot about having that until someone mentioned on here.

Again, many thanks to everyone that replied. Its just good to hear other ideas and suggestions, whether used or not. Helps to get ALL the wheels turning up there in my old noggin.
Indianapolis, IN
nohoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #18
Site Team

You are correct the outside shower was a option. Just a side note my last 2 campers had one and i disconnected them - never used them and just more thing to remember when i winterized. The one time we tried to use it in a campground in Chicago on the lake we got a warning ticket for dumping water on the ground.

Remember to check everything twice. Harbor freight has a inspection camera for about $30.00. Just a small hole then stick that in and check out the cavity you plan to use for wires or framing before you cut.

Good luck and let us know how it went
Old 08-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #19
New Camper

I have done this on my boat for speakers and used a roto tool ( like a dremmal just a spiny cutter ) get the proper bit. You just drill a hole and cut. It does a great job. jigsaw would need a really fine blade for sure.. Good luck
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I have a Dremel SawMax...that's my go to. It's like a mini circular saw that has blades for wood and metal. Can adjust depth just like a circular saw.