Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Ok, I may have just screwed up. I've never had a camper with the EZ lubes. Old school. So, I thought they were suppose to pop towards the front when greesing. I bought my 2011 Cruiser new. Haven't been on any long trips except a 5 hour and 7 hour and alot of weekends. Planning my second October trip to OBX which is the 7 hour. So, today I removed the black plastic cap and the rubber cap. I started to greese and nothing happened. I gave about 10 squirts on each wheel. So, I'm thinking maybe they were dry so I squirted more in each EZ lube until I saw greese come out around the locking nut area. So now I'm wondering if I put two much in or if I did it right. I haven't taken off the wheels to check. I did give a few squirts last year on each wheel. Ok, SLAM me now.....But be gentle please. Edited by: Papa-T

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I do not use the EZ lube. I would recommend removing the wheels. If you find the brake shoes have grease on them they will have to be replaced. If not then it is your call if you use the EZ lube in the future.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

many people on here will tell you not to use them for that reason. I don't think they are nearly as good as repacking, but I would only ever put one pump in them half way between re-packs. I think you have gotten yourself in a mess. Everything will have to come apart and you will most likely find a brake drum full of grease.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Did you jack up the wheel and spin it while you were pumping in the grease?

More than likely you were just filling the void between the two bearings full of grease. If it has never been done before that area can hold a lot of grease.

The only way to know for sure it was filling the void while you were pumping is to pull the hubs and look to make sure the seal is ok and you didn't fill up the brake drums.

I am not a easy lub fan either. You just don't know where the grease is going.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

When we did this last year a buddy pumped the grease gun while I spun the wheel. It took a bunch of pumps before the old grease was visible in the front where it was supposed to be. Spinning is a VERY important part of the EZ-Lube process.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The space between the seal and the outer bearing can easily accommodate a full tube of grease. However, I would definitely pull the wheel and check that grease didn't make it past the seal and into the brake drum.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

+1 to the comment about how much grease it can take to fill the void between the inner and outer bearings. That is probably what took so much grease. I have put a few "pumps" into mine before heading out on a big trip but I also hand pack them every spring. It really is not thathard of a job. I take my time and can do all 4 in a Saturday morning or I will do 1 side when I get home from work and the other side the next evening. It can be a little intimidating if you have never done it before because it is important to get the old grease out and the bearings fully packed with new grease and to make sure the new seal is in properly and the castle nut needs to be torqued correctly but honestly, none of those things are that difficult.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have only given a couple squirts after I bought the unit. For all four wheels I think I used less than a half of a tube. I was using a light and when I saw greese start to show in the front I stopped.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote