Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Frame flex at the pin box area

I have a 46' Crossroads TF-38LV Triple axel toy hauler with 4 slides and weighs about 16,000 lbs. empty
I was concerned and thought I might have a crack frame or a broken weld from my last trip.
I pulled the bottom fiberglass panel off under the front around the pin box to check the frame for broken welds. I Checked the entire frame structure and found nothing wrong.
I took measurements as the Lippert document shows and the only thing I found that I am concerned with is I have almost an 1"of frame deflection at the pin box as shown in the picture.
I have been on the phone with the Crossroads or who ever owns it now, Called Lippert and some RV service shops and no body will give me a straight answer on how much frame deflection is acceptable.
I know it's always had deflection but not sure exactly how much, never paid any attention to it.
All I'm looking for is a strait answer!20230815_155605.jpg

20230811_133834.jpg

20230811_130108.jpg

20230811_130017.jpg
chuckdog33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:05 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Did anybody that you talked to give you any indication of what the flex limits should be?
Old 08-18-2023, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog33 View Post
I have a 46' Crossroads TF-38LV Triple axel toy hauler with 4 slides and weighs about 16,000 lbs. empty
I was concerned and thought I might have a crack frame or a broken weld from my last trip.
I pulled the bottom fiberglass panel off under the front around the pin box to check the frame for broken welds. I Checked the entire frame structure and found nothing wrong.
I took measurements as the Lippert document shows and the only thing I found that I am concerned with is I have almost an 1"of frame deflection at the pin box as shown in the picture.
I have been on the phone with the Crossroads or who ever owns it now, Called Lippert and some RV service shops and no body will give me a straight answer on how much frame deflection is acceptable.
I know it's always had deflection but not sure exactly how much, never paid any attention to it.
All I'm looking for is a strait answer!Attachment 5636

Attachment 5637

Attachment 5638

Attachment 5639

l can give you a lot of links to read about the issue.
and there is more there if you want them.

I https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...-12312.htmlcan give you a lot of links to read about the issue.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ing-11021.html

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ment-3260.html
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ment-3360.html

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ame-12174.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:19 AM   #4
New Camper

Not at all, Lippert told me what the upper desk flex should be but as you see that's not a problem but absolutely would not giv me a number on frame flex where the pin box is bolted to the frame.
Before that I called Crossroads or Keystone now and they kept telling me they don't own below the body or what the truck hooks to.
And a camper service shop where it was originally purchased from acted like he didn't understand what I was talking about, playing dumb.
Nobody wants to say anything because everyone is afraid of getting sued or being held accountable.
All I want to know is to satisfy my question and protect my investment.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team

Are you measuring the distance from the frame to the pin box as described in the document or the distance from the bottom of the trailer to the pin box?

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
New Camper

If you look at the drawing you will see the measurement taken on both sides loaded and unloaded, No movement but if you look at the diagram where I have the measurement on the pin box to bottom of fiberglass cap that's what I need to know about.

With weight on the pin box and on jacks been all over the full frame and under the front cap and nothing is cracked or broken welds just frame flex up front.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:57 AM   #7
Site Team

I was thinking that was one of the shock-absorbing Trailair pin boxes, but I see it is just a Rota-Flex. It would not surprise me if the shock-absorbing pin boxes flexed when weight is applied to them. If the measurements in the document are correct and are the same loaded as unloaded, then I would think the pin box is flexing instead of the frame.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:40 AM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I was thinking that was one of the shock-absorbing Trailair pin boxes, but I see it is just a Rota-Flex. It would not surprise me if the shock-absorbing pin boxes flexed when weight is applied to them. If the measurements in the document are correct and are the same loaded as unloaded, then I would think the pin box is flexing instead of the frame.
It is frame flex up by the pin box not in the side rails, everyone assumes that it is the upper deck flexing but it not.
It's the frame up front under the front cap but nothing is cracked or broken, I nave been all over that frame up front and cant find any thing.
I never paid attention to it before that's the only reason I'm looking for a professional opinion.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:48 AM   #9
Site Team

You could buy the crack detection kit and use it on your frame.

https://www.amazon.com/Dye-Penetrant.../dp/B00XLW4BRC

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

My 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 35 ft with 3 slides is only 13,000 loaded but I have always had a lot of flex when loaded up. The first one who noted it was the RV shop when they were moving it with a forklift. They called it to my attention. I looked for cracks and found nothing. Haven't had a problem in 60k towing miles in 47 states and every mountain in the country. It does move, though.
davidfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:33 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfloyd View Post
My 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 35 ft with 3 slides is only 13,000 loaded but I have always had a lot of flex when loaded up. The first one who noted it was the RV shop when they were moving it with a forklift. They called it to my attention. I looked for cracks and found nothing. Haven't had a problem in 60k towing miles in 47 states and every mountain in the country. It does move, though.
Thanks
I'm almost at that point of putting it back together and not worrying about it,
The walls are not separating from the angle iron they rest on and are secured to attached to the upper deck frame.
After all with 4,300 lbs. of pin weight your going to have flex up front not sure exactly how much but you have some.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:07 AM   #12
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog33 View Post
Thanks
I'm almost at that point of putting it back together and not worrying about it,
The walls are not separating from the angle iron they rest on and are secured to attached to the upper deck frame.
After all with 4,300 lbs. of pin weight your going to have flex up front not sure exactly how much but you have some.
if u dont mind , what was the conclusion ? my frame does same as yours , no flex on the diagram but get that 1" on the front nose cone , probly goes 1 1/2" on bumps driving
Bacamick is offline   Reply With Quote