Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
New Camper

Hybrid bed problem

I have a 19 ft crossroads hybrid sunset trail with drop down beds on both ends. It's a 2010.we store the camper indoors and keep good maintenance if it. Last fall we took it to a local dealer to see about trade in. They claim the beds have water damage because the outside is wavy. We ALWAYS make triple sure everything is dry before closing. They said that the waves in the fiberglass can only be from moisture. I noticed over the years that it would get wavy with changes in temp. Mostly hot weather. I tried calling crossroads. They told me they have no clue to take it to another dealer for 2bd opinion. I was accused of not only not maintain it properly (nothing in maintenance to tell me to do anything special ) but also was totally insulted by trade in offer of 1500. Help! Any advice?
Dkhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The waveyness in the fiberglass may very well be from water intrusion or ? By all means get another opinion. Do shop around when we switched campers the trade in prices for our old unit varied greatly (thousands of $) from dealer to dealer. Shop around and find the deal that you are comfortable with. Good luck.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Many older rv's had "soft walls" installed from the factory. It's basically a skin applied over studs without any substrate material behind it. Over time, it does get wavy.

Inspect the floor around the wall for any evidence of water intrusion, also, check the NAPA rv website for value of your rv. https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Crossroads-RV

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

If you are confident that there is no problem, I would try and sell it privately. You will get more money than trading it in. Use the guides and the Internet to get a good idea on how much to ask for.

We had a 17' Starcraft hybrid that we decided was too small for our family of 5 kids (only 3 beds, one at each end and the drop table!). It was bought new and had seen a lot of use over the 9 years we had it, but it cleaned up nicely. Took photo's and put it on Craigslist one night with an accurate description. It left my driveway the following night with full cash in hand and 3 backup potential buyers hoping the 1st wouldn't show!! It was over $5k. The buyer who contact me first did request for me to take a cheque and asked about a discount after agreeing to buy, both of which I declined due to having full cash offers waiting. They showed up with cash, did a quick walk through and then towed it away. Told me that they'd been trying to buy a short hybrid (<20') for a couple of years but every time they found a nice one they were too late. Had even shown up with $$ and found that someone else had just left with it!

As for the wavy, sorry can't help on that!
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Be very CAUTIOUS at listing ANYTHING on Craigslist, it's loaded with scammers. NEVER EVER deal with anyone wanting to pay with cashiers checks & DO NOT do any third party deals.
There are also rv dealers that want to steal your rv, to the point of really (moderator edit) you off.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Be very CAUTIOUS at listing ANYTHING on Craigslist, it's loaded with scammers. NEVER EVER deal with anyone wanting to pay with cashiers checks & DO NOT do any third party deals.
There are also rv dealers that want to steal your rv, to the point of really (moderator edit) you off.
I am very leery of Craigslist, but am also a bit naïve. What's the scam with the cashier's checks?
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

You'll get an email (with poor grammar & no punctuation) from someone stating they are in the military (which really (moderator edit) me off cause they aren't) & can't get there to pickup your item so they are sending a cashiers check for more than your asking price so that when the third party comes to pickup your item you can pay them cash for delivery & then you cash the cashiers check (they are not guaranteed) only to find out it's no good so you are out the cash you paid some knucklehead & your item is gone & unfortunately there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
You may also get emails wanting to list your item on numerous sites for you to sell faster for so much $$, that is also a scam
When selling on CL, be sure to state "cash only" & no third party pick ups & NEVER EVER have them come to your house, ALWAYS meet in a parking lot somewhere in daylight.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Here's a fraud guide to help and inform you. https://www.fraudguides.com/internet/craigslist/

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the replies, both of you!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote