Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I use the EZ lube between trips but repack every 2 years. I found if you take the weight off the axle and spin tire, lube does not push out the back, at least so far after 7 years of doing this. I only pump in a dozen or so pumps, so I don't think I'm overdoing it.

I also prefer to use the Lucas brand of grease. The X-tra Heavy Duty one.
Mark, I always jacked up the camper and spun the tires when using the EZ lubes too. Glad you haven’t had the problem I did. But, for me I could understand if it was just one bad seal; but three! I’ve learned a hard lesson and will only manually pack them from now on. Just keep a check on them.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #22
Site Team

I have 2 trailers with the EZ lube axles. The camper with brakes and the utility with no brakes. I repack by hand every year when i inspect the camper brakes. Then thru the year if i check the brake adjustment while the tire is off the ground i use the EZ lube fitting while turning the tire to add a little grease.

If you remove the inner bearings you have to replace the seals. I use double lip seals and have never had a grease leak. On the utility trailer i raise it and while turning the wheel add grease. It has no brakes so i can easily see if the seals are leaking. So far no leaks but again double lip seals.

This works for me but you do what works for you. What ever method you use just make sure to grease and adjust the brakes.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #23
Family Vacation Member

Interesting thread. I owned boat trailers with surge brakes prior to my TT's. Easy lube on the boat trailers was the only way to go because backing a heated bearing into the cold water created a vacuum that could draw water into the bearings if bearing had any air pockets. Certainly not an issue on a TT, disasters not withstanding if you find your TT a boat ramp. 3 TT's now since 1998, all with easy lube, one pump prior to each trip and never had a problem. It would seem from design and drawing of easy lube you would have to pump the stuffing out of it to fill the cavity between hub and drum between the bearings before it burst out the seal. Just seems like that's alot of grease.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #24
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Mark, I always jacked up the camper and spun the tires when using the EZ lubes too. Glad you haven’t had the problem I did. But, for me I could understand if it was just one bad seal; but three! I’ve learned a hard lesson and will only manually pack them from now on. Just keep a check on them.
Ted,
I also followed the manufacturer recommended procedure, ONLY did it once, apparently they did it at the factory or the dealer also before me, with about 6 pumps each & had all 4 brakes filled with grease in about 5000 miles.
Fortunately the manufacturer reimbursed me for the 4 new backing plates & I furnished the labor.
Learned a valuable lesson, NEVER use the EZ lube again.
To those that do use it & like it, GOOD LUCK!
To those that have used it & not yet removed a hub, do so the 1st chance you get & be prepared to replace the brakes.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote