Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Rv cover

We have our new 2021 Sunset trail 253RB. When we bought it we got all the special exterior coatings done. We have some harsh winters here in Alberta and I’d like to get a cover for it. Pros and cons to the covers? Is there a specific type that will be better for a Canadian winter?
Zeroprotocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:21 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Personally I would not buy one. I’m sure they’re not easy to install or remove. If not fitted tightly they will flap in the wind, damage the cover and possibly the camper. Areas of excessive wear would be all the vents, AC unit and the ladder. Don’t forget those protruding gutter extensions.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Would not buy one. We live atop a mountain the the winds would play havoc on the cover. Neighbor has gone through 2 covers in 4 years. Save your money, buy an A/C cover only.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+ac+cov...l_9dcu04mrtj_e

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #4
Wit
Weekend Camper

I know that there is some controversy out there about RV covers. My wife and I live in Ohio and we have some very strong wind here during the winter. We are on our 3rd year of owning our 2019 sunset trail and we bought a cover the first year. I bought one from Amazon for less than $200. We have been really happy with it. It has zippered panels so you can get in the camper when you need to and the top is thicker than the sides. It has well made straps to tighten down so the wind hasn't been a problem. We cut slits in tennis balls and put them over the gutter spouts and the ends of the support jacks. This keeps the material from tearing on the corners. I washed and wax before putting on the cover for the winter and in the spring it looks great. I know that everyone has a different opinion but it has worked for us so far. Also, we've had a couple of 8in. snows and it makes it easier to rake some snow off of the roof without damaging the roof. I hope this helps, remember this is just our experience and I hope this helps in your decision making. Good luck?
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote