Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
Seasonal Camper

Glad I could be of some assistance!

I can't wait to get started on my map of North America, coloring in States and Provinces as we camp there. Its going to take a long time to get them all colored in, but that is our goal. (Might have to pass on Hawaii and the Northwest Territories though)

And like you say, no better way totravel than in a trailer!

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

If you use pontoons Hawaii is possible, we should talk. (see our web site)

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

We had an incident about 20 years ago. Tent camping in a state park in south west Missouri. 2:00 in the morning I was awakened by a noise, looked out and saw a man (kid) carrying our big Coleman cooler off down the road. I guessed he though he and his buddies were getting free beer! I jumped up and grabbed the hatchet and took off after him. Thankfully for him, another camper yelled at him, he dropped the cooler, ran and jumped into the back of his partner's pickup and they took off. Had I caught him I wouldn't have killed him, but he would have required many stitches to reattach parts of his limbs! He wouldn't have been able to steal coolers for a while. We reported this to the park ranger and local sheriff department and theyboth said "just kids having fun".

The S&W 357 will keep me from having to run if it happens again!

Another person I know stopped a "door to door" robber in a state campground by having his rifle ready when his wife opened the door. They had observed the guy walking and his partner driving slowly through the campground, knocking on campers. If anyone opened the door, the walker forced his way into the camper for a couple of minutes then moved on. He was invited into the guy's camper (at gunpoint) and held until the wife could get the cops. The driver realized what was happening and took off leaving his buddy to take the fall. The cops found a couple hundred dollars on the guy and had a half dozen campers press charges.

There are some bad folks out there so take whatever actions you think appropriate and be aware of what is going on.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

Even though I’ll be carrying my .40 on long remote trips this year, I don’t believe that a handgun is the answer to home security. A shotgun is far better.. Quicker to load, the sound of one loading the gun may scare somebody off, better chance of taking the aggressor down with one shot, far less chance of missing and hitting your neighbor or another family member. And the unloaded gun can be used as a weapon too.

JMHO

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
Weekend Camper

.17, .22, .223, .243, .257, .284, .308, .32, 9mm, .357, .40, .41, .44, .444, .50BMG

All available - but 12 guage with #4 buck is best - does hellva job without over-penetration beyond target.

I carry anytime FAMILY is with me.

2009 CrossRoads Seville VF35RL

2000 Ford F-350 Cr
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #26
Seasonal Camper

a 12 gage has way too long of a barrle for me. Would never want to get in close encounters with one.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #27
Full Time Camper

Think Riot 12 gauge they have an 18 inch barrel Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn
Think Riot 12 gauge they have an 18 inch barrel
OR__double barrel stage coach gun. Comes in either 12 or 20 ga.
Hammer less, or curled hammers. Both have 18in. barrels.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #29
Weekend Camper

Ya know,you go to work,you come home go on the computer thinking you can go to a forum until now you thought was a great place to talk or read about rv'ing,and you have this crap.Go'ing to the states this summer on holidayswe thought our biggest concern was going to be not forgeting our passports.Now it sounds like we should look to buy kevlar vests for us and our dog, just in case we, heaven forbid wander into the wrong persons campsite.I know you all don't pack down there but man I'll sure be looking over my shoulder.

2008 Cruiser 29CK

2008 Dodge Mega Cab 2500HD 6.7L and the Boss, Bailey the Yellow Laprador Retiever
Ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Some of what is posted is obviously "just for fun". Â* My guess is if you stay clear of Walmart parking lots, rest stops, NASCAR and undeveloped campsites you'll be okay. Â*Keep away from any campers that own a Crossroads product as they obviously aren't safe to camp next to. Â*Stay at the private campgrounds that forbid firearms. Â*Many KOAs do. Â*If they insist on taking their beloved firearms where it violates park rules that makes them nothing more than a common criminal ... the very people they are afraid of.

I love hunting and shooting competitively but haven't heard one compelling reason for bringing my weapons with while camping. Â*This entire thread kind of shows that you may have the right to do something, but it may not be the right</span>Â*thing to do.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
ted
Weekend Camper

I'm licensed to carry here inmass and the way i look at it is this. If I'm going outto have a beer I wont carry as they don't mix. so when I'm out campingone usually will find me with a beer in my hand at some point day or night as I'm there to have a good time. In mass when we carry we are held at the same standards as the cops.spent 9 years in the Marines so I learned from the best. beer and guns don't mix and my Grand kids mean to much to mix the too.Spring is here time to have fun meeting new friends and having a good time see you on the road some were. Coming to Mass look me up

Stoughton Mass
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
Seasonal Camper

Very well put Al---I concur
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #33
Site Team

This thread is getting a little off course, and probably better off left alone, but I just wanted to say-------
Al, you have a gift that I envy. The ability to put words on paper, and I would like to say Thank You

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

This is why I did not touch this post. Better I keep what I do and my opinions on this subject to myself.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:10 AM   #35
Family Vacation Member

YUP I AGREE with you Hunter

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/&#111;nlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 AM   #36
Seasonal Camper

Hey Al. Got one question for you. If you don't like CrossRoads owners and feel we are not your type of camping folks, what the heck are you doing lurking on this site?

You are welcome to your opinions. I fought in a war to ensure you have that right. I have the same rights and the right to bear arms provided by the Consititution.

And by the way, I don't want you "wandering" into my campsite. I camp to get away from people.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #37
Seasonal Camper

Guys, didn't want to offend any one here. I have fire arms at home and have one in the camper. I have never got it out, Never felt like I needed to get it out and hope I never do, In the event I ever have that feeling It will be there.

I have always felt safe when camping, ,,,, Well except at the rally last year when my truck was vandalized

This goes for home as well. And I only have 5000 rounds with me at any one time so it's not like I'm extream or any thing,,,,, This is a joke
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #38
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy1967
Guys, didn't want to offend any one here. I have fire arms at home and have one in the camper. I have never got it out, Never felt like I needed to get it out and hope I never do, In the event I ever have that feeling It will be there.

I have always felt safe when camping, ,,,, Well except at the rally last year when my truck was vandalized

This goes for home as well. And I only have 5000 rounds with me at any one time so it's not like I'm extream or any thing,,,,, This is a joke
Gee Don I did not know you are just a beginer
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

anybody remember this thread on the old forum? it went over like a fart in church....no good.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #40
Full Time Camper

BipeFlier, you might want to re-read my post keeping the word sarcasm in mind. Â*That will answer your question. Â*

One of the nice things about this forum is we can disagree and then all go get a shot and holler and call it good. Â*

But Ed, you're right. Â*Time to put this thread to bed.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote