Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had to patch their slide topper? I hadan issue with it drooping due to rain collecting while the slide was out. The problem is that I now have a small tear where the material attaches to the camper wall on one end. It's only about an inch or so long now. I'm wondering it I can remove it and apply some sort of patch to prevent it from getting worse. Anyone have any experience with this type of repair? If so, how well did the patch hold up?

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would use enterbond tape on it. if you clean it right will last forever

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

You should be able to make that repair without removing it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I haven't looked at it close enough to tell, but I think the tear starts in the channel that is attached to the camper wall. I'm not sure how all of that comes together, but figured I would have to slide it out of that channel some to start with.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

In most cases, there is a small screw thru the end of the fabric and channel to keep the fabric in place. Â*Remove the screw, and remove the awning from the awning brackets with the s/o closed, slide the fabric out enough to make the repair.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Forgot to add that the patch may be too fat to slide back into the channel, so first slide the fabric back and use a screwdriver or other flat tool to enlarge the channel where the patch will be, then pull the fabric forward to make the repair. If you get the gap too wide, you can later close it up with pliers.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I have some 4" etrnabond tape left over, I am going to cover the corners on the slide seals, if you need a small piece to repair your awning I would be happy to send you a piece, just give me the lenght you need, ......

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Is that the same as Dicor tape? If so, I have some that I am planning on using to replace the topedges of the slide outs. If not, it never hurts to have extra repair materials around just in case. CW is close by, so I can always swing by and pick up some. Besides, it will give me an excuse to look through the other items I might "need".

mbinohio - Thanks for the offer, though. That speaks miles to the caliber of people on this forum. Dayle1 - as soon as the snow stops/melts (which can be a matter of days or hours here in AR), I'll give it a try. After your post I looked at it again and it looks like afairly straight forwardrepair based on your notes. Thanks for all of the reply's!

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

mbinohio - I appreciate the offer even more now! Didn't realize a 50 foot roll is the smallest you can get and that it runs over a $1 a foot. I did luck out because they had some sample rolls here locally. The guy working the counter couldn't find a lookup for it so he gave it to me. Not much too it (probably less than a foot), but it should be enough for what I need to repair. I just had to pay $20 for the EternaPrimer spray that I will probably only use a fraction of the 14 oz can. Now I have to wait for the temps to get above 40 to work on it. Not sure if that will be this weekend or not.

I was surprised though, because the guys at CW didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I called them about it. Very disappointing. Maybe I just got ahold of a newby.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab
Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

OK, temps finally got warm enough to do this repair. Didn't take long at all thanks to of the instructions. So...Thanks to everyone's input. Now I just need to start stocking supplies and de-winterize. Targeting Spring Break for the first outing. Less than 3 weeks and counting. Just hope the weather is good.

Hensley, AR

'05 CF29RK,

'01 Ford F250 CrewCab