Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2022, 06:18 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

What are the signs? water pump.

What are the common signs that a persons water pump is almost shot. My pump last fall didn't want to prime itself when I was trying to suck pink when winterizing, and just today wouldn't prime when unwinterizing. So I'm wondering is this the start to getting a new pump? Now the one I have is a Shurflo #4008-101-E65. Trailers 11-12 years old and some years ago while new to trailers ran the fresh water empty and didn't realize the pump was running for about 4 hours. So the big question is there a better brand than Shurflo or should a guy just stick with the exact match and replace as is (Amazon has them) or is it one of those things to easily repair? Give me your knowledge of past experiences..thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

In 2020 I had to change mine due to a leak at the housing. I remember it started thumping louder on our trip before. It only leaked when it ran so I removed it off the floor and put a pan under it so we could finish our trip. We were dry camping. Anyways, I bought a Shur-Flo pump but can’t remember model number. It wasn’t the cheaper one. It was way quieter than the original even before it thumped.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Mine started leaking. We were in CO. I replaced it with a new Shur Flo I believe. I'll check it out in the morning. The one I put in is really quiet compared to the old one.
As long as you have to pull it, why not get a new one that's quieter?

I have one sitting on the shelf that I got a kit for and rebuilt it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had the same issues with my pump. I took the pump apart, cleaned everything and it is working fine after putting it back together. It was an easy fix. I think the internal check valve was stuck open allowing the fresh water tank to fill when connected to city water. If you try this be careful not to lose the small spring that is on the check valve disc.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
Site Team

It's the "Revolution" 4008 RV By-Pass pump. It wasn't cheap, but that was 8 years ago I put it in.

Heck maybe they don't make that model any more. The way things keep changing.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:50 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

All is back to normal and working fine. I watched a few Utube video's and did everything everyone else does and really didn't find anything wrong. The one culprit that I thought might be my thorne and very common issue with most pumps is a stuck check valve. But mine seemed to move freely. So I cleaned everything I could and took more apart, then put everything back together, installed it and works like a champ. So I tried to canceled the one I ordered last night but I think I was to late for that, so I'll have a spare probably to. BUT one thing I seen that I think is a must is a small bulb filter between the pump and the water tank. That looks like a smart little feature as even a hair, fly, anything that could sneak into your tank will stop the pump from working. I also added some wire to make install and removing it from it's hiding place easy as pie. Thanks everyone for sharing your insight and situations.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Good to hear you got it fixed. I take it you’ll carry the spare in the camper?
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:42 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

You may want to go ahead and install the new one you are getting. Hate to see you need it but find it doesn’t work when you do. Plus at that point you probably couldn’t return it. Save the old one as a spare. Just a suggestion.
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Lloyd; the pump that I ordered is also the "Sherflo Revolution." I also today ordered the filter I mentioned in a previous post. I think that is a key player as long as a person cleans the filter every couple months with a little CLR or even just with the fingers. Here's the pump: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And here's the filter I mention and remember if you also want to install this, the clear bulb/cup is pointed to the top, the opposite of what you see in the picture ; https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
And here's the filter I mention and remember if you also want to install this, the clear bulb/cup is pointed to the top, the opposite of what you see in the picture ; https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What makes you think that? It would be what I call--upside down if you mount it that way. Also when you remove it for cleaning,etc, everything in the cup would be on the floor.
I have mine mounted with the cup down. It's just a matter of unscrewing it. Then you can take it out and dump it and rise the screen out.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:34 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Good point Lloyd. I also Googled there site and they make no mention regarding direction. It was something someone said on Utube. But I think I'll also mount the same as a carburetor bowl. Thats a proven method for over a 100 years.