Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2024, 10:01 AM   #1
New Camper
 
kev2504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: WI
Posts: 6
New to the Cruiser family

Hello from Wisconsin. We have a 2020 Cruiser Embrace EL260 purchased last year. We are probably going to swap out the refrigerator with a 12 volt one. Undecided if we should change the battery to lithium. The cost is quite large for this. We are only part time RV'ers. We love the floorplan of this trailer, and it pulls great with my '21 Silverado 1500 RST.

Kevin
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:19 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 9,160
Welcome aboard Kevin
I'm curious why would you want to swap out the fridge for a 12V?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:31 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: mo
Posts: 2,104
Hello and welcome to the forum!!
__________________
2009 Seville VF32KS
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Crew Cab Denali.
6.6 Diesel standard box.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
New Camper
 
kev2504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: WI
Posts: 6
Well the absorption fridge doesn't maintain temp while traveling, plus it would be nice to have the extra room inside, and better freezer operation.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,717
Welcome to the forum! My Rockwood has a 12v refrigerator, and I love it. I pulled it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel last year. It was great not having to get out and turn off the propane before getting on the bridge, especially since it was pouring down rain at the time. The refrigerator stays the same temperature whether I am towing it down the highway or when I am at a campground connected to shore power.

As far as needing lithium batteries just for the refrigerator - you should be fine with lead acid batteries. I had lead acid batteries in mine last summer and never had a problem on the road, however, I do have a 200w solar panel on the roof which can supply more power than the refrigerator needs when the sun is shining brightly.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 22 nights in 8 states, 3140 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:34 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 9,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
Well the absorption fridge doesn't maintain temp while traveling, plus it would be nice to have the extra room inside, and better freezer operation.

Our old Cruiser had the gas, electric fridge. We were always satisfied with the way it operated. I guess I'm not familiar with just what the 12V is, or just how they are suppose to function/operate. As far as the extra room, That's always nice to have. I always thought about changing ours out to a 8 ft. but never did.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:54 PM   #7
Full Time Camper
 
Papa-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.C. Mountains
Posts: 2,414
Welcome to the forum.
__________________
*2016 CAF25SE Cruiser Aire 5er. *2020 Chevrolet 2500 HD Custom
*Ted & Tricia (Mimi - Teacup Poodle/ Sailor - Maltipoo)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Our old Cruiser had the gas, electric fridge. We were always satisfied with the way it operated.
My Sunset Trail had a propane/120V absorption refrigerator, and I was satisfied with how it performed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I guess I'm not familiar with just what the 12V is, or just how they are suppose to function/operate.
My Rockwood has a 12V refrigerator. It is a compressor type, like a residential refrigerator, except it operates on 12V DC instead of 120V AC.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 22 nights in 8 states, 3140 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:27 AM   #9
New Camper
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5
I have a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser that was a one owner purchased by an elderly couple. I bought it last July because we had an attic fire and the home was unlivable. We have been staying in the rv march 1st will make 8 months! Our home hasn’t been touched yet because of insurance dragging their feet and arguing on what pricing we can find. We live in very rural Kansas. I would beware everyone to stay away from Travelers Insurance! But now for the main reason I messaged. Our rv refrigerator went out in the long lasting sub degree weather. I have had it looked at and was told was the cooling coil which just means replace fridge. Mine is a Dominic DM2852. At the moment the insurance has us in a mess. Our cash on hand and credit cards are tied up in emergency living expenses. We are trying to and should recoup that money but they are making it really hard. I am in need of a used refrigerator I can afford. I thought maybe if you are going to 12v you may want to sell that one? Any other rv”ers have a good one to get rid of? I live in south central Kansas. About 1 half hours southwest of KC. I don’t mind driving a piece to get one. Thanks for listening, Randy
__________________
2011 Crossroads Cruiser CF32ck11
Randy332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:57 AM   #10
New Camper
 
kev2504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: WI
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Welcome to the forum! My Rockwood has a 12v refrigerator, and I love it. I pulled it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel last year. It was great not having to get out and turn off the propane before getting on the bridge, especially since it was pouring down rain at the time. The refrigerator stays the same temperature whether I am towing it down the highway or when I am at a campground connected to shore power.

As far as needing lithium batteries just for the refrigerator - you should be fine with lead acid batteries. I had lead acid batteries in mine last summer and never had a problem on the road, however, I do have a 200w solar panel on the roof which can supply more power than the refrigerator needs when the sun is shining brightly.
What brand fridge do you have? Looking at the Dometic DMC4101. I see Camping world has a Contoure for $600 less, but can't find many reviews on that one.

I have been thinking on getting a 200 watt solar setup. Either on the roof, or a suitcase kit. Not sure yet
__________________
2020 Cruiser Embrace EL260
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:10 PM   #11
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
What brand fridge do you have? Looking at the Dometic DMC4101. I see Camping world has a Contoure for $600 less, but can't find many reviews on that one.

I have been thinking on getting a 200 watt solar setup. Either on the roof, or a suitcase kit. Not sure yet
My refrigerator is an 11 cu. ft. Magic Chef. It is the same as Ever Chill model WD-282FWDC-B. It is 12 volt only.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 22 nights in 8 states, 3140 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:13 PM   #12
New Camper
 
kev2504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Location: WI
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
My refrigerator is an 11 cu. ft. Magic Chef. It is the same as Ever Chill model WD-282FWDC-B. It is 12 volt only.
Have you had any problems with your fridge? I have been looking at the Everchill, but heard they have some issues
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:26 PM   #13
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2504 View Post
Have you had any problems with your fridge? I have been looking at the Everchill, but heard they have some issues
I've seen some complaints about them too, but I have not had any trouble with mine. My only issue is getting the temperature adjusted. When I first got the camper everything was freezing in the refrigerator. It took awhile to get it adjusted. There are only 5 points in the temperature adjustment. I have it in the middle now, but water bottles in the back on the top shelf will still freeze.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 22 nights in 8 states, 3140 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:59 PM   #14
Weekend Camper
 
runamuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: texas
Posts: 39
I'm not sure why your dual fuel fridge would not stay cool while on the road. the opposite is usually true. we have one of the 12v fridges and tho it has more room inside and is nice and modern, we and others I know lament the fact that our old fridge would keep cold while on the road and now with our new trailer, we have to be careful about how far we travel in a day so as to get to where we can plug in. no boondocking without extra battery power or genny. most folks I know only get one good night or day of fridge use before their battery needs a charge. when I have my trailer on a battery charger at home, I have to turn off the fridge because it plus the other parasitical drain are too much for a good charger to keep up with.
__________________
2021 cruiser air cr28rd
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×