Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camping in the Smokey Mountains during Covid

So we made our 10 day trip to The Ridge and got back home safely.

https://theridgeoutdoorresort.com/

Sleep-T - The place is brand new and was/still is a church. The church ran out of money - did not know that was possible! - and sold the property to this guy who already had a campground in the area. They still lease out the events center to them for services.

It's in a good location, has a nice pool, but is basically a hotel for your RV. Absolutely awful place for dogs. Would not stay there again, though other people seem to love it.

Have no idea how crowded that area gets during normal times, but it was absolutely crawling with people from all over the country. Our tried and true National Parks routine of "done by one" had to be revised to "done by 10" if you did not want to get stuck in bad traffic. No social distancing and hardly any masks - it was elevated to a "hot spot" the day we left.

The mountains are pretty, but we both feel it has been our least favorite National Park and most likely won't return. As far as Pigeon Forge - it's like they transplanted Myrtle Beach in the mountains.

Regardless - we had a blast and it was really nice to get out of the house for an extended time. Overall we felt really safe, but we worked at being safe.

We did have our first mechanical issues on the trip. The gearbox on the slide blew up on the way down. Would go out, but not in. Also had the awning motor go out. Both were fixed by Rickey's RV in Sevierville - great guys and I think very fair, too.

I could not find anywhere on the net on what to do about the slide. So I found another big guy and we just pushed it in as Phyllis toggled the switch. Do any of you guys have another solution? Our slide has the four cables on it.

As an aside - we do have a couple overnight or maybe overnight an extra day campgrounds on 81 if anyone is looking for such - Ft. Chiswell and Shenandoah Valley Campground in Mt. Jackson - both in VA. Like the former better.

Safe Travels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM1.jpg (254.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg sm4.jpg (167.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SM2.jpg (192.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg sm3.jpg (128.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg sm5.jpg (264.1 KB, 11 views)
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Looks like camping in suburbia..Lol. Not used to seeing all that macadam and concrete.
We rented a cabin outside pigeon forge a few years back for a family trip, Best vacation ever, although I agree pigeon forge is more like being on the boardwalk, we enjoyed Gatlinburg, and rented a few 4 seater side by sides for a day excursion and had an absolute blast. The scenery there is unreal, and there are alot of things to do (pre-covid19).
We will be going back, this time with the camper, just me and her and god willing our ancient dog.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Rrizz
Last time we went to Gatlinburg it was soooo crowded could not find a parking space or space in a pay lot in the city...We were in the process of leaving altogether and on the road leaving the city when a vehicle parked on the side of the road just in front of us pulled out & I pulled in...Had to hike about a half mile just to get to the edge of the city, than as we walked through Gatlinburg the foot traffic was very heavy as well...Still must say had a good time mostly due to good friends that were with us...We have been to Gatlinburg several times but after the last trip don't think we will be visiting again any time soon...

Scot
Ridge Outdoor Resort looks very nice...I will have to try it out next time I head to Tenn...Sorry to hear of your slide trouble...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote