Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Recent Road Trip

We just returned home to Florida from a business road trip to the gorgeous Carolinas.

I had business at Charlotte airport which is in NC, but stayed a few miles South in SC at Crown Cove RV park.

A nicer place to stay would be hard to find. While not brimming with amenities, the management and staff are delightful and ensured our site and stay were perfect for our requirements.

Our site was shaded and our neighbors courteous and engaging.We took nightly strolls around the parks 200 or so sites, exercising our pooch and choosing our next RV. Most nights this took a large chunk of the evening as many fellow guests were sat outside enjoying the warm evenings and a cold beverage.

There are two main reasons for this post.

Firstly, I wonder if any of you have compiled a list of the worst maintained interstates in the US. If anyone has, I'd like to submit for consideration the I-77 between Columbia and Charlotte Southbound, the I-26 between Columbia and the I-95 Eastbound, and finally the I-95 North of Savannah North & Southbound.

At one point I feared to look in my mirror as I was sure the asphalt behind would be strewn with shredded 'Harvey'.

I'm really pleased to say that 'Harvey' survived completely intact, despite giving him one last test on the I-4 through Orlando. Much of his survival is I'm sure thanks to the 'Dexter equalizer' and 'wet bolts' we installed some 18 months ago, but also to his new boots.

The second point of this post.

I had an issue at the end of my last trip with a 'Castle Rock' 8 ply failing big time and causing me a near coronary.

Everyone has there own opinion on tires with Goodyear Enduro's seemingly the popular choice. I respect everyone's right to chose, and after a bunch of research, and having spoken to the distributor, I opted for a set of 'Greenball Tow Master' 10 ply steel belted radials and a laser temperature gauge.

The new tires are rated significantly higher than those that were OE from Crossroads when I took delivery of Harvey. They are rated to run at 81 mph (about 15 mph faster than I ever tow) and 80 psi. (I'm running mine at 75 psi)

At every 2 hourly rest/refuelling stop I checked the tire temps, and given that we're experiencing a heatwave and the blacktop is too hot to touch, I was impressed to discover that all four were within 2 degrees of each other, between 126 and 128 degrees F.

So far, 1300 miles to be exact, the new tires have performed perfectly, and trust me, a large portion of those 1300 miles were a real test.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Enjoy your Summer wherever you choose to spend it.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Glad you returned home safe. I have to say anything is better that the castle rock tires. I switched to the Goodyear Endurance tires and put the castle rocks on my lawn mower trailer ( since it’s been sold). It gives piece of mind knowing you have those rocks off the camper. Sometime maybe you can make it further north in NC where the weather is cooler. Also, they’ve redone 77 further north but I swear the redone interstate seems worse than the lanes they haven’t redone. Go figure!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for responding Papa-T.

NC is really beautiful, I'm a bit saddened we didn't have a chance to explore further but what we saw we enjoyed immensely.

Hopefully next time we head North we'll have more time.

Best regards
Old 07-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Travel the I's you mention twice a year on our snow bird journeys PA to FL. I totally agree with your assessment of those roads. The DW would probably have a harsher assessment as she squawks with each thump-thump until her voice is hoarse.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Dear KECoats,

I have the same 'soundtrack', I found turning up the stereo or earplugs are the solution... Hee hee haa ha